Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WTC....if this is true..... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm just wondering, did anybody think of taking a pressure washer out there and washing off the chalk? i mean, if it was offensive to the community of LP or whomever, was that not a thought? even if i had no equipment, a pressure washer, a small water tank, and a generator to power the pressure washer, all in from harbor freight or northern tool would run you well under $1000.

and then somebody has a pressure washer, a water tank and a generator. for next year.

They would have had to drive/fly/whatever back to LP from hartford CT in order to do what you are proposing since the incident in question was brought to their attention in August. I would imagine their time is pretty valuable so a $2000 cheque may have seemed like the logical choice.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC....if this is true..... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, i'm in california. i would consider hartford to placid a nice sunday drive. but i see your point.

still, somebody just needed to take a pressure washer or a scrub brush out there, rather than getting everybody's panties in a wad. the sport is too small, the friendships too dear, to make a federal case out of it. and i don't mean to point this at any particular side. just, a scrub brush and a pail of water, and 15 minutes of elbow grease, would have solved the problem unless there's something i'm missing.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
hey, i'm in california. i would consider hartford to placid a nice sunday drive. but i see your point.

still, somebody just needed to take a pressure washer or a scrub brush out there, rather than getting everybody's panties in a wad. the sport is too small, the friendships too dear, to make a federal case out of it. and i don't mean to point this at any particular side. just, a scrub brush and a pail of water, and 15 minutes of elbow grease, would have solved the problem unless there's something i'm missing.

Let's not forget the hypocrisy that is most WTC courses being marked with actual spray paint...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

+1

We need to be good neighbors

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: WTC....if this is true..... [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Let's not forget the hypocrisy that is most WTC courses being marked with actual spray paint..."

i think this was a specific issue for the community of lake placid. i remember a big, important race on my schedule, this goes back 20 years or so, a 1,500 or 2,000 person race, really important race, just got canceled because the community got tired of the gel wrappers and other trash that didn't get picked up. the community said, "no more." i therefore think that issues like this can get filed under "listen to the community, do what you can to be sensitive to the partnership you have with it."

so, regardless of what happens at other races, the issue here was, scrub brush and bucket of water. i don't think this was any specific person's duty. it's everybody's duty. seems to me it's ironman's duty to let everyone know, everyone's duty to make sure they take care of the chalk they or their families leave, and then ironman's duty to go out with a scrub brush afterward for the selfish or clueless people who didn't read the memo.

this was a last-year's-race issue tho, no? so, i'd suspect (and hope) there were no like issues this year.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: WTC....if this is true..... [wolftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. WTC and its PE owners can extract as much money out of the sport as they like, but my contribution is over while this sort of thing is allowed to continue (along with the general greed, lack of cancellation for injury refund, etc).
Quote Reply
Re: WTC....if this is true..... [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:
Let's not forget the hypocrisy that is most WTC courses being marked with actual spray paint...

All the ones I've seen in the past few years have been marked with duct tape, not spray paint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Let's not forget the hypocrisy that is most WTC courses being marked with actual spray paint..."

i think this was a specific issue for the community of lake placid. i remember a big, important race on my schedule, this goes back 20 years or so, a 1,500 or 2,000 person race, really important race, just got canceled because the community got tired of the gel wrappers and other trash that didn't get picked up. the community said, "no more." i therefore think that issues like this can get filed under "listen to the community, do what you can to be sensitive to the partnership you have with it."

so, regardless of what happens at other races, the issue here was, scrub brush and bucket of water. i don't think this was any specific person's duty. it's everybody's duty. seems to me it's ironman's duty to let everyone know, everyone's duty to make sure they take care of the chalk they or their families leave, and then ironman's duty to go out with a scrub brush afterward for the selfish or clueless people who didn't read the memo.

Exactly. We have to be good citizens in the communities we visit. The claims of the tourist money we'll spend that organizers may use to convince local politicians why we should be allowed to race doesn't help out the people who live on the route, so the least we can do is be courteous. Leave no trace.

I can understand the Ironman folks getting frustrated about this. That doesn't justify the content of the e-mail (and I'll be the first to admit that I've said some pretty stupid shit via e-mail). The idea of donating $2000 to their charity also does not solve the problem. Donate the $2000 to the community. If I remember right, there was a group in Boulder that gave out cookies or something along the route leading up to Ironman Boulder. $2000 for cookies for the locals as a "thank you/we're sorry" would be more impactful. Even better, give $2000 to a local Boy Scout troop or something and have them scrub the roads - now the issue is fixed and a part of the community got a nice little donation.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: WTC....if this is true..... [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peanut wrote:
habbywall wrote:

All the ones I've seen in the past few years have been marked with duct tape, not spray paint.

Same, I've even thought each time how it is considerate of them to use tape.

The only places I think I have seen paint, but is usually still tape, are road hazards which may even have been done by the city.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I am sure they did something like that...

Take a DPW crew, might be union where they require 3 people, and then add on two or more police officers to direct / slow traffic since the chalk is in the middle of a lane and cleaning will block traffic. Each officer is generally between $50 / $100 an hour depending on whether they are over time or not and I know some communities I have dealt with require a 4 hour minimum.

You ever dealt with a town? I know one community that wanted to put up a Go Slow Children side in their neighborhood and it was close to $1800
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm just wondering, did anybody think of taking a pressure washer out there and washing off the chalk? i mean, if it was offensive to the community of LP or whomever, was that not a thought? even if i had no equipment, a pressure washer, a small water tank, and a generator to power the pressure washer, all in from harbor freight or northern tool would run you well under $1000.

and then somebody has a pressure washer, a water tank and a generator. for next year.

Or rent from Home Depot for less than $100 -- washes off in less than 15 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC....if this is true..... [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peanut wrote:
habbywall wrote:

Who's washing off that glue residue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't ever had a piece of equipment from Harbor Freight last a year...pink (sort of). More of a single use purchase...but would have gotten the job done.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC....if this is true..... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has WTC responded to this in a public forum?

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

this was a last-year's-race issue tho, no? so, i'd suspect (and hope) there were no like issues this year.

I agree that this is an issue that varies by community. For SavageMan and Garrett County Gran Fondo, I have full support of the county powers-that-be to mark up the road with permanent spray paint. The county understands the economic benefit of the events is not just race weekend, but all the folks that come year-round (or at least spring to fall) specifically to ride these bike courses, and then fall in love with the area and buy vacation homes. So, if permanent directional arrows and dangerous descent cautions on their roads are a price they pay to make it better for these desired visitors, that is a price they are happy to pay. But, obviously not all host communities feel the same way.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC....if this is true..... [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Shaman wrote:
But he did write it. Even being the moron I am....I know not to put anything like that in writing. All it takes is one stupid click of the mouse and it's global. He's probably just a hot head....but he needs to be smarter.

Did you personally see the original email?

I am not going to comment on the "incidents," in question. I am however am going to comment on the claimed threats Jeff Edwards made to this group. Let it be known I have nothing to do with WTC...so this is not written with ulterior motives.

I have personally known Jeff Edwards and his family for 15 years. For a bit of background, Jeff raised his family in Lake Placid and got involved with Ironman like many locals in the sense that it was something exciting that came to our town. Prior to working for Ironman Jeff was an educator at a small private school teaching English and philosophy. I attended the school where he taught and though never had him as a teacher, he was a very upstanding and respected member of the staff. As a younger man I recall thinking of him as a serious person, but at the same time very relaxed and grounded. I recall many weekends seeing him and his wife with their young children(one on his back,) setting off on hikes into the high peaks.
I've been in this sport now for almost 9 years and always enjoy bumping into Jeff at different events around the country. It is always clear to me how professional and serious Jeff is about his job with Ironman. With this said I think I can speak for all that actually know Jeff Edwards and say there is no way I can fathom him making physical threats to anyone, let alone people involved with his business!
I am not calling the other party liars necessarily, but that sort of claim against Jeff is character assassination on a public forum without substantive proof.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC....if this is true..... [PlacidPirate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PlacidPirate wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Shaman wrote:
But he did write it. Even being the moron I am....I know not to put anything like that in writing. All it takes is one stupid click of the mouse and it's global. He's probably just a hot head....but he needs to be smarter.

Did you personally see the original email?

I am not going to comment on the "incidents," in question. I am however am going to comment on the claimed threats Jeff Edwards made to this group. Let it be known I have nothing to do with WTC...so this is not written with ulterior motives.

I have personally known Jeff Edwards and his family for 15 years. For a bit of background, Jeff raised his family in Lake Placid and got involved with Ironman like many locals in the sense that it was something exciting that came to our town. Prior to working for Ironman Jeff was an educator at a small private school teaching English and philosophy. I attended the school where he taught and though never had him as a teacher, he was a very upstanding and respected member of the staff. As a younger man I recall thinking of him as a serious person, but at the same time very relaxed and grounded. I recall many weekends seeing him and his wife with their young children(one on his back,) setting off on hikes into the high peaks.
I've been in this sport now for almost 9 years and always enjoy bumping into Jeff at different events around the country. It is always clear to me how professional and serious Jeff is about his job with Ironman. With this said I think I can speak for all that actually know Jeff Edwards and say there is no way I can fathom him making physical threats to anyone, let alone people involved with his business!
I am not calling the other party liars necessarily, but that sort of claim against Jeff is character assassination on a public forum without substantive proof.

Do you also know that mayor from Missouri who ran the cyclist off the road? Would you like to defend him as well?
Quote Reply
Re: WTC....if this is true..... [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you
Quote Reply

Prev Next