Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First 70.3 Last Weekend - Here's What I Learned
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I thought I would share my experience for both those contemplating their first race at this distance and to also illicit feedback from those with a lot more experience than me. I won't give a full race report but here are the basics from the Chisago City, MN 70.3 race:

38:xx swim
2:49 bike
2:10 run
5:46 total w/transitions
I'm a 36 year old male with around 20 sprint/oly/duathlons under my belt

Swim went well and was like I expected. The bike started well but it got windy and rainy on the course. I didn't adjust my pace in the second half to account for the wind and continued to push. I paid for it on the run as my legs were toast on the second half. I had some pretty bad stomach cramping on the run so what I thought was a good nutrition plan was not. Overall, my best case scenario was a 5:30, worst was 6:00, and I fell right in the middle.

I learned a couple of key things - 1) Conditions change and you have to be prepared to adjust your plan; 2) It's really hard to dial in a nutrition plan during training; 3) The first time is all about the experience and I'll be much better prepared next time.

Overall it was a great race and a good time - I'm looking forward to the next one. Thanks to all the STer's that share info on the forum as I tapped into a lot of it during my training.
Last edited by: MDM1978: Jul 31, 14 12:44
Quote Reply
Re: First 70.3 Last Weekend - Here's What I Learned [MDM1978] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations - very solid. The learning keep coming roll with them.
Quote Reply