well....there is this...just sayin'

Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone just wake up and do an Ironman? [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol that was a good one.
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone just wake up and do an Ironman? [bigbuck425] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know. As a former competitive swimmer and first season triathlete, the swim is the only portion of a 140.6 that I know I could complete. The bike might kill me, and the marathon would take the rest. I can't imagine attempting one without some serious training.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone just wake up and do an Ironman? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I have plenty of casual runner friends who routinely drop 18;xx 5ks on literally no training other than maybe 3 miles here and there and no competitive run backgrounds.

Bullshit. Quantify "plenty" and further describe "no competitive run backgrounds".

Seriously . I didn't believe it myself. Had two friends in college, never ran x-country or track. Played some field sports, but were never on a HS team of any sort, but played in youth leagues in middle school. Were essential nonathletes in HS, played casual club sports like 1x/week in college and were totally mediocre.

I was completely horrified when one went hi 18s and another nearly broke 18 flat in a legit 5k that I entered. (I finished in a pedestrian 20:30 with 35mpw of training, including intervals, and I was on the HS & JHS x-country team.) And I really cornered them about their running (or lack thereof) after their race, since they asked me "is that a good time 18:xx?" They were legitimately surprised.

I actually think most folks who run those 15:xx 5ks have this kind of ability. Even with minor related activity in the past like nonvarsity field sports, they'll be this fast or faster.

On the converse, these guys were clearly still light and young. It would be a different story if they were M45, gained 25-35lbs, and didnt' do any sports for 20 years. Doubtful they'll go 18:xx.

I've run a lot of 5ks in my day, in both Southern California and Utah; if you are going 18xx, you are AG placing. If you are AG placing, against a few hundred people, you aren't Joe Average off the street who doesn't train. At a local race here with over 1,000 participants (Rex Lee Run), there were exactly 4 people under 19min last year. I ran that race for fun about 8yrs ago, 19:xx and I was first in 20-25m.

So yeah, did you recently relocate to Kenya?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stop2think wrote:
lightheir wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I have plenty of casual runner friends who routinely drop 18;xx 5ks on literally no training other than maybe 3 miles here and there and no competitive run backgrounds.

Bullshit. Quantify "plenty" and further describe "no competitive run backgrounds".

Seriously . I didn't believe it myself. Had two friends in college, never ran x-country or track. Played some field sports, but were never on a HS team of any sort, but played in youth leagues in middle school. Were essential nonathletes in HS, played casual club sports like 1x/week in college and were totally mediocre.

I was completely horrified when one went hi 18s and another nearly broke 18 flat in a legit 5k that I entered. (I finished in a pedestrian 20:30 with 35mpw of training, including intervals, and I was on the HS & JHS x-country team.) And I really cornered them about their running (or lack thereof) after their race, since they asked me "is that a good time 18:xx?" They were legitimately surprised.

I actually think most folks who run those 15:xx 5ks have this kind of ability. Even with minor related activity in the past like nonvarsity field sports, they'll be this fast or faster.

On the converse, these guys were clearly still light and young. It would be a different story if they were M45, gained 25-35lbs, and didnt' do any sports for 20 years. Doubtful they'll go 18:xx.

I've run a lot of 5ks in my day, in both Southern California and Utah; if you are going 18xx, you are AG placing. If you are AG placing, against a few hundred people, you aren't Joe Average off the street who doesn't train. At a local race here with over 1,000 participants (Rex Lee Run), there were exactly 4 people under 19min last year. I ran that race for fun about 8yrs ago, 19:xx and I was first in 20-25m.

Interesting your experience, re: Rex Lee Run. I think part of the explanation might be that in the last few years the 5k has taken on a flavor of (mostly) a non-serious run/walk "event." My reference point is years and years ago in Minneapolis. In those days a 5k was taken as seriously as any distance and 18 minutes would be a "so what" time. To double check I just looked up the results of a 5k I did in '92 (total participants were 366 - small to medium event) in the San Jose area. Top 2 women were under 17 min. Top 4 men were all under 16 (top guy was "slow" in just under 15 min). I had just turned 30 and was a hair over 17. My buddies never let me live that "pokey" time down.

San Jose California isn't remotely close to Kenya.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone just wake up and do an Ironman? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
stop2think wrote:
lightheir wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Interesting your experience, re: Rex Lee Run. I think part of the explanation might be that in the last few years the 5k has taken on a flavor of (mostly) a non-serious run/walk "event." My reference point is years and years ago in Minneapolis. In those days a 5k was taken as seriously as any distance and 18 minutes would be a "so what" time. To double check I just looked up the results of a 5k I did in '92 (total participants were 366 - small to medium event) in the San Jose area. Top 2 women were under 17 min. Top 4 men were all under 16 (top guy was "slow" in just under 15 min). I had just turned 30 and was a hair over 17. My buddies never let me live that "pokey" time down.

San Jose California isn't remotely close to Kenya.

Results from the last decade https://rexleerun.byu.edu/race-results/; generally about 5 people total under 19min. There are certainly a lot of people just doing it for fun, regardless, when you have ~.5% of total participants hitting that threshold, it isn't a handful of Joe Average's who just decided to run a 5k that morning.There are certainly "casual" runners out there who don't really train and are capable, but to say you have several friends, like it is no big deal: BS.

Don't doubt it may have been different 20yrs ago.Today, in two areas with very large running populations, it certainly isn't.
Last edited by: stop2think: Jul 31, 14 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stop2think wrote:
lightheir wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
lightheir wrote:

The guy came in 2nd in his division. Yes, he was fast. No, I never said he was Joe Average off the street who doesn't train. He was clearly very talented. But I'd say that most pro endurance athletes have this kind of talent. You don't run 15 min 5ks by starting in your first season of x-country going no faster than 21:00. You start literally from scratch at 17-18 and drop from there.

Also sounds like you're not in a competitive area, or the race was super hilly if out of 1000 people, only 4 could go under 19. I've gone under 19 in amost every 5k I've done in the past few years (one stroller pushed 5k in 19:11), and I don't think I've ever won my AG, let alone cracked the top 10 finishers, even in a 300 person race.
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone just wake up and do an Ironman? [bigbuck425] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"can anyone that's in half decent shape and knows how to swim, bike and run just wake up and do an Ironman in 13.5 or 14 hours...?"

Probably if they are under 40 yrs of age, truly are in "half decent shape" and definitely knows how to swim. 13.5 to 14 hrs? Not so much, 16 hrs more likely. Must also be really willing to suffer the last 40 miles on the bike and 13 miles of the "run".

Anecdotal evidence: On a good day, I'm an 11:20-11:35 IMer. IMLP this year: one month training, swim and bike, no running, 25 lbs over race weight, no serious training since 2011, 60 yrs old. Wasn't the plan when I signed up last year but life happens. Opted to do what I could for as long as I could rather than just waste the entry and hotel fees. Raceday: So-so swim (but finished both laps), four flats in the first 35 miles on the bike so 4:38 first loop, 3:40 second loop (that Wilmington Gap is killer with no legs), 6:40 run (walk) with 3:08/3:32 split. About 16:22 with second swim loop and T1 included. More like 15:22 without the flats. Without the one month bike and swim training, more like bike DNF, and feeling really sketchy during the swim.

Now, a 30 -something with lot longer legs, maybe 15 hours. Depends on how you define half decent shape.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone just wake up and do an Ironman? [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
parkito wrote:
"can anyone that's in half decent shape and knows how to swim, bike and run just wake up and do an Ironman in 13.5 or 14 hours...?"

Probably if they are under 40 yrs of age, truly are in "half decent shape" and definitely knows how to swim. 13.5 to 14 hrs? Not so much, 16 hrs more likely. Must also be really willing to suffer the last 40 miles on the bike and 13 miles of the "run".

Anecdotal evidence: On a good day, I'm an 11:20-11:35 IMer. IMLP this year: one month training, swim and bike, no running, 25 lbs over race weight, no serious training since 2011, 60 yrs old. Wasn't the plan when I signed up last year but life happens. Opted to do what I could for as long as I could rather than just waste the entry and hotel fees. Raceday: So-so swim (but finished both laps), four flats in the first 35 miles on the bike so 4:38 first loop, 3:40 second loop (that Wilmington Gap is killer with no legs), 6:40 run (walk) with 3:08/3:32 split. About 16:22 with second swim loop and T1 included. More like 15:22 without the flats. Without the one month bike and swim training, more like bike DNF, and feeling really sketchy during the swim.

Now, a 30 -something with lot longer legs, maybe 15 hours. Depends on how you define half decent shape.

Yikes! 4 flats??? You're a better man than I, I'd crawl into some bushes and cry after the second flat. :-|

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parkito, wow you still did really well on minimal training.I know it's not recommended but good on you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
parkito wrote:

I would like to point out that you are not "just anyone" in the context of this discussion. If we are truly talking about the average joe who might be able to get up and hammer out a 10K at a hugely elevated heart rate (I would call this 'decent shape') an ironman is out of the question.
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone just wake up and do an Ironman? [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not really arguing than just anyone can pull off an IM on no training, I think there is a small chance that it could be done with specific conditions, i.e. the ability to swim and to pace well, and taking 16 + hours, not 13.5 to 14.

To further support your opinion, I've done IMLP four times before and have trained there numerous times, so I know the course really well and how to pace it. Pacing is another huge component that few people could "just do at the drop of a hat". Also, hammering a 10k at a hugely elevated heart rate is the exact opposite of the conditioning needed for an IM. Walking an IM marathon turns out to be relatively easy as long as you have the 7-7 1/2 hours to do it (i.e. you got through the swim and bike in 9 1/2 hours).

Lastly, I'll add that I have had no stamina or energy for the past week, unlike previous IMs. I tried a swim on Thursday that resulted in a piddly 1000 yds accrued 100 yards at a time. A trip to the local high school track resulted in a half lap jog and a quick, tail between the legs trip home.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply

Prev Next