Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Body shaving for triathlons
Quote | Reply
What are the advantages of shaving legs, arms, etc. for triathlons?
Quote Reply
Re: Body shaving for triathlons [J-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at this thread http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;.

Edit: This video is linked to in there but here's a link it's where the info is coming from https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be
Last edited by: Staz: Jul 30, 14 17:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a significant aero benefit for shaving legs (less so for arms).

Easier to treat road rash if you crash

Cooler

Easier for a masseuse to work with

Easier to body mark

It's part of the culture.

Personally, I do legs; arms are much less benefit and harder to cover up at work.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of numbers thrown around, especially recently (the other thread has some of that info).

For myself, I'll never shave my legs, arms or any other part of myself for racing. Hell, I'm even growing my beard out these days. But then again, I'm not concerned with podium placing, I race purely for the challenge and the enjoyment of it. The few seconds (minutes...maybe?) that shaving could save me aren't worth the aggravation.

But that's me. :)

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Body shaving for triathlons [fitknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FOLLOW UP QUESTION:

My hubby, after watching the infamous youtube video, finally became convinced to shave his legs (after years of hesitation, he decided to take his triathlon hobby to a new level). Anyway, he thinks that he must now shave his chest and arms as well because otherwise he thinks he will look silly in his master swim class. I am pretty sure that all of the hardcore triathletes in my own master swim class have chest hair and shaved legs and no one makes fun of them for that....what do you men think?
Quote Reply
Re: Body shaving for triathlons [IronLady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll admit, when I was much younger (i.e. in my 20s and 30s) I shaved my chest and occasionally, because I thought it was "sexy" and my wife didn't disagree. Still didn't shave my legs then...though I did trim "everything else" to be shorter and match a little better.

I think it comes down to what he's comfortable with...and what you're comfortable with. For example, I would cut my hair super short (as short as my beard) if my wife would agree, but she doesn't. So it's all about what works for the two of you.

Just my opinion, others may differ.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously whatever works for you two, but I shaved for the first time for a race 2 weeks ago and continue to proudly rock my chest and back carpet.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shave down for the first time since high school a few weeks ago for a race.

Took the clippers to legs/chest/arms and then used a razor on the legs between ankles and tri suit. Jordan Rapp advertises he uses a razor "from eyebrows to ankles" to take care of the age old question of where to stop.

People are saying arms don't matter as much, but I figured it couldn't hurt and wanted to have everything uniform. Also no ingrown hairs or razor burn as it grows back with the clippers vs razor. I think it's a good compromise.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do waist to ankles year round. I'm actually quite hairy but it's orange so isn't really visible.

I haven't seen my face since 2008 though and have no plans to shave my beard off anytime soon.

GF loves both the shaved and unshaved parts and don't think she would like if I switched that up.

I'd consider arms if I was not injured and having a crap season.
Quote Reply
Re: Body shaving for triathlons [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trim everything except a tuft of hair that reveals out the top front of my low-rise shorts ala Rod Stewart.
Quote Reply