Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for some Self Contained Bike Light recommendations.......
Quote | Reply
Starting to loose daylight and soon enough will be riding dusk and dawn.
In the past I have been using a Magic Shine 1600 lumen bike light front with the LED rear light.

Kind of getting tired of all the wires and right now the setup has a bad wire somewhere and need repaired/replaced so I thought I would look at a self contained setup

Any recommendations? There are so many options, hard to know where to start.
Whats the best bang for the buck option? This would be for a road bike setup.

http://www.lezyne.com/...-led.php#performance

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for some Self Contained Bike Light recommendations....... [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just going through the same thought process as the nights draw in. The magicshine lights are amazingly bright but it is not the most elegant system.

Lots of friends highly rate the Exposure lights (and I love my joystick light on the helmet) but I bought the lezyne fully loaded mega drive as I found it for a great price. Haven't tried it out yet but all other lezyne stuff has been amazing so hopes are high.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for some Self Contained Bike Light recommendations....... [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had great luck with the Serfas lights. The 500 is mega bright not not too pricey compared to other lights. If you happen to be in Canada there is a company called Power in Motion in Calgary that makes a wonderfully bright bike light / flashlight.

Which ever light you get should be both wall chargeable and USB.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Cateye Volt 300 front. Best light I've ever had. Came with a spare battery. Last ages and light power is ample for me even on lower settings. I ride on hilly country roads with no street lighting. Great build quality. USB rechargeable
I also have a cateye aero rear light that is also USB rechargeable and excellent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'll actually be spoiled by the lumens on your Magicshine. I agree that the wires are a hassle, but the light is awesome.

Something like that Serfas would otherwise be fine, but if I were using the light for more than short <30minute rides, I would want my Magicshine on deck for the brightness and runtime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I think. You can spend over $100 on a bright bicycle light. Or buy an Ultrafire flashlight on Amazon for $5 to $15 and figure out how to mount it. These lights come in models all the way to 1200 lumen (I got one and its brighter than a car headlight) and usually run on removable rechargeable 18650 Li-Ion batteries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few big lumen lights for my MTB but on the road I just use a Serfas True 150. I find it's plenty. I actually have two of them so I can set one as a blinker and one on steady if I want. I haven't actually done that though.

If you insist on using very bright headlights on the road, you might want to be careful about how high you point them. They can potentially blind, or at least piss off, oncoming drivers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
Starting to loose daylight and soon enough will be riding dusk and dawn.
In the past I have been using a Magic Shine 1600 lumen bike light front with the LED rear light.

Kind of getting tired of all the wires and right now the setup has a bad wire somewhere and need repaired/replaced so I thought I would look at a self contained setup

Any recommendations? There are so many options, hard to know where to start.
Whats the best bang for the buck option? This would be for a road bike setup.

http://www.lezyne.com/...-led.php#performance

Cygolite Expilion. Cheap, self-contained, lasts long time and you can swap out the battery with another if you need it. Also comes with a helmet and handlebar mount. They have a great rear light too. I've been using them both for several years and haven't had any issues.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the mega drive pictured along w/ a macro up front flashing and a micro in back flashing. Cars will see you a mile away! Awesome investment in your "life".

Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of all these new one piece lights.
NiteRider is kinda the Cadillac of lights, will cost you a bit more.
Cygolite, Serfas, Lenzyne and even others all make good units.
All better form factor than a Magicshine.
Most have 3+ hour run time and versatile USB charging.
At $100 you should be looking at 500-700 lumens, which is a lot for the road.
At $50-80 you should find 300-500 or so lumens.

I ride the road with a 350 lumen NiteRider and find it all I need.
Quote Reply