Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Based on my OLY data, what should be my paces for HIM?
Quote | Reply
Did an OLY tri a couple weeks ago after a three year hiatus. Swim sucked (usual for me), bike and run were good. Bike HR averaged 178 bpm for 59 minutes, and run pace was 5:45 per mile. I've got a HIM (kind of, the bike is 58 miles) in a few weeks, and was thinking 155-160 HR for the bike and 6:10-6:15 pace for the run. Am I in the right ballpark, or are my numbers way off? No power meter, so HR is what I have to work with. I appreciate any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Based on my OLY data, what should be my paces for HIM? [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find this pace calculator to be pretty accurate. I am not as fast as you are, but it nails my splits.

http://www.triathloncalculator.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Based on my OLY data, what should be my paces for HIM? [rachapkis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do a 60 miler follow up by 8 mile run this weekend. this will give you a great indication where you are. guessing with HR on a forum is not the best idea.... the calculator is a good start and trying it out is best....also lets you dial in nutrition.

usually i would do the above, of course i would ride with power and HRM and run with HR. once i have the data i would analyze and i would have pretty solid idea where to start. generally the above is a 3.5 hr workout.

fyi point is to go at race pace, not above...see how you feel after.
Last edited by: trix99: Jul 30, 14 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: Based on my OLY data, what should be my paces for HIM? [trix99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find HR pacing is total crap, at least for me, in races. It's way, way above my training numbers by 10-15bpm.

If you've trained well, a 5:45 threshold (Olympic is run right near threshold pace), says you could do maybe a 6:05-6:20 pace or around 1:20-1:23. Depends a lot on how consistent your run mileage and training has been.

My advice, stay over 6:00 pace. You breathing should be controlled, but strong. It's a focused effort, but you could just hold a minimal conversation (up to mile 8-10, then it's hard, real hard). An Olympic won't prepare you for how hard you'll have to fight the urge to just stop and walk.

I like to ride with power and run with pace, with HR as reference along with breathing rate and RPE for each.

I'l put it this way... if you ON and tapered, running 6:00 coming out of T2 will feel easy. Really easy. You physically geared up to roll at tempo. You overall sense of intensity, should match what you did on the bike.

Again, I like HR for reference, but it's all over the damn place for me. In my last 70.3, my average HR on the bike was 166 (I averaged 160 in my last 20' power test) and 172 on the run (172 in training is above threshold, about my open 10k pace). I'm debating if I want to even wear it, but it does give some useful data about my overall intensity and physical stress.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Based on my OLY data, what should be my paces for HIM? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never raced with power or HR. I just give it all I have and what happens happens.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Based on my OLY data, what should be my paces for HIM? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I was hoping you'd chime in. I know HR is not "best," but that's what I've got for the bike, and it's been relatively reliable for longer rides/intervals. Run mileage has been consistent; 50 ish per week through May, and around 40 per week since then, so I'll probably take the low 6's and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Based on my OLY data, what should be my paces for HIM? [trix99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I've got a similar plan for this weekend, but bike 55 and run 6 to test things out. I've used that calculator before and it way overestimates for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Based on my OLY data, what should be my paces for HIM? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure you meant to post in the "Hey rambling guy! How do you pace your races?!? Gimme the craziest answer you can invent!" thread.

It might've moved off the first page by now... but you're going to own it!
Quote Reply