Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bree Wee speech [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
> run to the drug store where you can get a bottle of saline to wash the sand out if your vagina.

You were doing really well until the misogyny. Which isn't well placed in a post defending a woman.

And you have a typo.

While I can't change how you feel about what I typed, I don't believe it was misogynistic. Calling out someone for having "sand in their vagina" is roughly the same thing as saying "panties in a bunch". I'm not sure how you make the jump to it being a comment about hating women, but then again I honestly don't care. I'm comfortable with the fact that I'm not a misogynist and that's what matters to me.

While Bree is indeed a woman and I was indeed defending her...my post was defending a person and an athlete. Her gender was irrelevant in this case. If Marino had given the same speech and been called out for it, I would have made the same post.

Thanks for calling out the typo. I tend to make that of-if error on my iPad & iPhone for some reason. It kinda drives me nuts. Have a nice day,.
Quote Reply
Re: Bree Wee speech [Maui_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was pretty harsh and I am a Bree fan. Everyone in my group, which included two AG champs, stood with mouths open looking at each other in disbelief. She slammed her competitors several times. Intended or not, it was not well thought out. One person near me stated "she just lost this fan." Hopefully the ladies sharing the stage with her were more understanding than many listening.
Quote Reply
Re: Bree Wee speech [jhouckwsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhouckwsu wrote:
I have seen Bree Wees' speech mentioned as "awkward" 2x in another thread. Can any one explain how or better yet know where it could be found?

It was slightly awkward but to be honest i think you would have to want there to be some kind of issue in order to have taken it that way. I hate public speaking and have had to do it a fair bit. I know that starting down one route and the attempting to get yourself out of it without acknowledging ".. oops, that sounded a bit weird, what I meant was .." always ends up with you digging an even bigger hole.

I think "it came down to who wanted Kona more" was probably true, probably something she thought and probably something that she realized sounded a bit sketchy the minute she said it. She then went on to say that she would be thinking of the other while she was in Kona, which probably rubbed salt in despite it being her method of 'being nice' after saying she wanted it more.

I think benefit of the doubt should absolutely be given here. I can not imagine she meant anything by it at all and was trying to say that they were all as good as each other, the only difference was she wanted it a bit more on the day. A nice sentiment, poorly worded and then raked over by people. If you look at it the other way, like she meant to do it, then that would make her a pretty brave person to just abuse the others on the stage in front of a crowd of strangers with no lack of confidence. It simply can't have been meant that way.

She seemed sweet to me and, apart from the ill advised choice of words, didn't come off as arrogant or self important, just got her sentiments muddled.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: Jaymz: Aug 3, 14 17:36
Quote Reply
Re: Bree Wee speech [Hack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This seems a little more thought out (from Bree's blog):

"A really big congratulations to the women of Ironman Canada and to those women in the front of the race all day, thank you for pushing me so hard that I had no choice but to run. It was a special day in the fact that it could have been anyone of us crossing the finish line first, I hope you take that with you as confidence into your next race, that you are faster and stronger than you think you are. Anyways, I am going to be thinking of you girls on the start line of Kona and will dig a little deeper for you. Good luck at your next races and your wedding, Jackie!! I am sure you will look even more lovely in a white dress than spandex and run shoes!"

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Post deleted by joesmith [ In reply to ]
Re: Bree Wee speech [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
the girl is nice but ain't too swift upstairs. you can leave it at that.

seriously? and you know this HOW? you have met her? you have tested her intelligence? you have interacted with her over a long enough period of time to have been able to make a formal assessment of her intelligence? please, pray tell, enlighten us all with your methods and results. i'm really quite interested as to exactly how you made this assessment.

personally, i've only met her once and i can all but guarantee she has no idea who i am. i *know* her from FB and her blog and going on that....

personally, i'd love to be as "ain't too swift upstairs" as Ms. Wee.

I'd love to be "ain't too swift upstairs" enough to be talented and driven enough to outright win Ironman races and still be able to keep my son and my family as my top priority. My guess is that is quite a fine tightrope to walk.

i'd love to be "ain't too swift upstairs" like Ms. Wee in continuing to involve her son and his father in their lives after such a devastating divorce; not only recognizing the importance of her son's father is his life but doing what it takes to support that relationship.

i'd love to be "ain't too swift upstairs" like Ms. Wee in always finding beauty in life. in reading her blog over many years i am humbled at how she continually not only finds joy and beauty constantly around her but she shares it and inspires others to do the same.

i'd love to be "ain't too swift upstairs" like Ms. Wee with her zest for life and trying new things. she is constantly exploring new ideas and facets of life which (not strangely enough) bring her joy.

i'd love to be "ain't too swift upstairs" like Ms. Wee in her ability to interact genuinely with local people in the lands she travels to; having the confidence and acceptance to experience their lives for a moment.

yeah, if that is what it is like to have someone judge me as "ain't too swift upstairs" i'd love to be "ain't too swift upstairs" like Ms. Wee.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Bree Wee speech [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Sluglas wrote:
Well I could have commented on your punctuation use, but that seemed too easy. Commas are your friend, friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc
Quote Reply
Re: Bree Wee speech [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
MarkyV wrote:
the girl is nice but ain't too swift upstairs. you can leave it at that.

personally, i'd love to be as "ain't too swift upstairs" as Ms. Wee.

I'd love to be "ain't too swift upstairs" enough to be talented and driven enough to outright win Ironman races and still be able to keep my son and my family as my top priority. My guess is that is quite a fine tightrope to walk.

No commenting on whether or not she's intelligent...or lacks common sense (mutually exclusive.... as very smart people are better than most at sticking their foot in their mouth and doing dumb things).

But I would like to point out that intelligence is not a prerequisite for athletic performance. DO I really need to point out examples in professional sports??? Seriously? Actually, it might be a hindrance in some cases. The less you rationalize pain and suffering, the better you may be able to perform. You need a certain amount of intelligence to be self coached. Ms. Wee is not. Not saying should couldn't. But you don't need to be smart to be driven and disciplined.

None of your examples describe a trait or situation that requires intelligence or common sense in terms of speaking ability. Actually they paint a picture of someone that's passionate, emotional and likely impulsive.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bree Wee speech [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
But you don't need to be smart to be driven and disciplined.

None of your examples describe a trait or situation that requires intelligence or common sense in terms of speaking ability. Actually they paint a picture of someone that's passionate, emotional and likely impulsive.

maybe not, but that is not what i said. driven, disciplined, won 2 ironmans AND keeps her family #1, balancing the two beautifully. that juggling is not something you get from being soley driven and disciplined.

also i never addressed her speaking ability so i'm currently clueless as to what that is in response to.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is Bree's Race Report or re-cap.

Congrats to her for the win and thanks for the inspiration she provides to so many.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

maybe not, but that is not what i said. driven, disciplined, won 2 ironmans AND keeps her family #1, balancing the two beautifully. that juggling is not something you get from being soley driven and disciplined.

also i never addressed her speaking ability so i'm currently clueless as to what that is in response to.

... and I'll stand by this.... "None of your examples describe a trait or situation that requires intelligence or common sense in terms of speaking ability." Life balance is a matter of you personal value structure and emotional IQ.

But I will agree, work/life balance does does preclude someone that truely self absorbed. But, unless she ha a full time job, I challenge how much you are really "juggling" to "make it work". I could train 50 hours a week and have far more free time to spend with my family than I have now... with exception to travel.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

... and I'll stand by this.... "None of your examples describe a trait or situation that requires intelligence or common sense in terms of speaking ability." Life balance is a matter of you personal value structure and emotional IQ.

But I will agree, work/life balance does does preclude someone that truely self absorbed. But, unless she ha a full time job, I challenge how much you are really "juggling" to "make it work". I could train 50 hours a week and have far more free time to spend with my family than I have now... with exception to travel.

she teaches elementary school.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

Are you a psychologist or psychiatrist?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Bree Wee speech [jhouckwsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I coach Karen Thibodeau, the woman who placed 2nd behind Bree, and can say with complete confidence that Karen was not offended by Bree’s speech in the least. She thought it was refreshingly honest.

Clint
Quote Reply

Prev Next