Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 9070 over Ui2 6870 for $550 more?
Quote | Reply
Upgrading my current bike from Ultegra 6800 to Di2 and am debating between the 6870 and 9070. I know shift performance is pretty much equal the only real gain is weight savings with the DA groupset. My LBS has priced me the entire kit and Im looking at ~$550 more to go with the 9070 over the 6870. Do you guys think that it would be worth it to go DA in this case? Note: The build does not include the brake calipers or the crank so the different parts for the $550 would be the Front Der., Rear Der., Cassette, and Chain.

Build kits:

6870:
Internal battery
Internal wiring
DA 1-button tt shifters
DA brake lever/shifters
Ultegra FD/RD/Chain/Cassette
(no crank/brakes)

9070:
Internal battery
Internal wiring
DA 1-button tt shifters
DA brake lever/shifters
DA FD/RD/Chain/Cassette
(no crank/brakes)
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 9070 over Ui2 6870 for $550 more? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With my money? No chance.

With YOUR money? Still no. I would go Ultegra and buy your spouse a nice gift.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skip the DA bar end shifters, cassette and that should knock $200-$300 off. I prefer the 2 button shifters and no reason to spend the extra on a consumable item like a cassette if you want to save money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other major difference, if I recall correctly, is that the DA Di2 requires the much more expensive programmer, unlink the Ultegra which you can program with the USB charger.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take that $550 and buy a disc cover and proper bike fit :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 9070 over Ui2 6870 for $550 more? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shifters and chain were so close in price i think of rather just go DA name for the eventual resale. Swapping cassettes brought it down $100 so I'd be looking at $450. Already had a professional fit done a few weeks ago and have race wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 9070 over Ui2 6870 for $550 more? [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:
One other major difference, if I recall correctly, is that the DA Di2 requires the much more expensive programmer, unlink the Ultegra which you can program with the USB charger.

Thank you for pointing this out as I was just about to embark on a Di2 retrofit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:

I thought everything was programmable using the BCR2 USB Connector/Charger via Shimano's (free) E-Tube Project software. The PCE1 from my understanding is for more advanced diagnostics (probably shop-level), & also compatible with both systems.

Quote Reply
Re: Di2 9070 over Ui2 6870 for $550 more? [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
bostonalex wrote:

I thought everything was programmable using the BCR2 USB Connector/Charger via Shimano's (free) E-Tube Project software. The PCE1 from my understanding is for more advanced diagnostics (probably shop-level), & also compatible with both systems.

I recall reading somewhere where there was a DA component that was not programmable without the PCE...

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:
Jamaican wrote:
bostonalex wrote:

I recall reading somewhere where there was a DA component that was not programmable without the PCE...

No, no, no and no. Both 9070 and 6870 use exactly the same charger and csn be fully programmed and firmware upgraded because the internal battery is exactly the same and the e tube system is exactly the same. As well everything can be programmed through the USB charger. The only reason to need the pce is for fault diagnosis. The USB charger cannot do that. Since most of the parts are common, the only thing the extra 550 buys is a different FD, rd and sti shifters. Everything else is identical right down to the part numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 9070 over Ui2 6870 for $550 more? [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goodboyr wrote:
bostonalex wrote:
Jamaican wrote:
bostonalex wrote:

No, no, no and no. Both 9070 and 6870 use exactly the same charger and csn be fully programmed and firmware upgraded because the internal battery is exactly the same and the e tube system is exactly the same. As well everything can be programmed through the USB charger. The only reason to need the pce is for fault diagnosis. The USB charger cannot do that. Since most of the parts are common, the only thing the extra 550 buys is a different FD, rd and sti shifters. Everything else is identical right down to the part numbers.

Easy there, like I said, I thought I'd recalled reading that. Fair enough.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
The shifters and chain were so close in price i think of rather just go DA name for the eventual resale. Swapping cassettes brought it down $100 so I'd be looking at $450. Already had a professional fit done a few weeks ago and have race wheels.

The TT shifters were close in price? Eh I stand corrected, about $50 cheaper via S-Tec so probably $90-100 at retail. I'm still glad I went with the 2 button. Flexibility wins that one for me. I'll buy the DA ones if I ever sell my group and someone "must have" the DA ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Ultegra, shifts better than DA and almost as light. Spend the change on something that will make a bigger difference - a Stages, a good bike fit, a coach, or maybe even something nice for the wife and kids.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 9070 over Ui2 6870 for $550 more? [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah after reading some more Ultegra 6870 reviews I went with a mixed groupset. Initially had read there was a 400g weight difference but it appears a big chunk of that was in the crank and brakes, neither of which I got. DA shifters and chain were like a total of $50 more over the Ultegra ones so I got those and an Ultegra cassette, FD and RD. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Last edited by: kyle h: Jul 30, 14 0:18
Quote Reply