Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
25 deep is F*cking ridiculous.

it amounts to a financial play and not a quality play. Going to worlds should be about being fast, not finishing. But we hashed that out recently somewhere on here.

Think you're being a bit overdramatic. Sure, the AG worlds could be more Olympic like (each nation limited to 3 in each AG) and I agree that financial considerations definitely factor into the size of the field, but I certainly don't think placing in the top 25 in Milwaukee next week in the large AGs won't require any more ability than just being able to finish the race.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 30, 14 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [Rockhopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think with worlds in Chicago next year, it will bring a faster field to nationals. I'm thinking the time to finish 25th in an AG this year will be similar to 18th last year. If not a bit faster. People who normally skip nationals due to not wanting to foot the cost of foreign travel, will look at this is their one chance to do worlds.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [Rgarren3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn you :)
That is a good point however. I might have to shave my legs then!

Looking like a color blind super hero!
Damn triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to an Olympic style qualification (tougher standard) for AG'ers would be even more stupid/dumb.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [Rgarren3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're absolutely correct on this. Looking at the start list for my AG, there are more fast guys than last year. I think the twisted-knickers set should STFD a bit. I don't think expanding it a bit is going to ruin any sooper-dooper fast guy's race.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never understand how anyone going to WC impacts anyone others race.

But, it might be the same thing that happened with WTC add the 70.3 distance to the IMLT race. The number of folks that started to complain that somehow it was going
to ruin their race was just amazing.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [Craig P] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craig P wrote:
The host country gets access to unused slots to be sure that the field is substantial and they make money.

As for 25 deep, I completely disagree with it being ridiculous if you actually look at the 25th time for most AG's...20-24 is 2:02, 25-29 is just under 2:02, 30-34 under 2:05, 35-39 under 2:06 and all are less than 2 minutes to 18th in the same AG. In 25-29AG 18th was 2:01:08, 25th 2:01:58...so I don't think there are people that are going to embarrass themselves with those times.

The top 25 in the 45-49 went 2:07 or better. That the was faster than the 40-44 AG
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M55-59 25th was 2:18. Is this slow? Kim McDonald was 27th at 2:19, was this slow?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand what you are asking or telling me.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was just a general question to this thread on more examples. What is "fast" for AG? I still think it does not matter with direct time. Do Nationals, do AA roll downs. These are your fastest folks, and you need
plenty of them to pay so the "fastest" can race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I agree on fast being subjective

It appears to me that a lot of people in the 55-59 (in 2013) went nearer 2:15 some faster and some slower.

I could see someone saying that a person is slow if the top 15 went something like 2:15 and then the next 5 went 2:40. Those that went 2:40 persons would not really be competitive as compared to the other group. So in that case, not fast.

Then you may have another group that the top 15 went near 2:30 and then the next 15 went 2:35. They are all pretty competitive relative to each other, so in that case all went fast.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for the AA roll downs...I made AA last year and I'm not really a fast Oly person. My faster times came from HIM's.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Yes, I agree on fast being subjective

It appears to me that a lot of people in the 55-59 (in 2013) went nearer 2:15 some faster and some slower.

I could see someone saying that a person is slow if the top 15 went something like 2:15 and then the next 5 went 2:40. Those that went 2:40 persons would not really be competitive as compared to the other group. So in that case, not fast.

Then you may have another group that the top 15 went near 2:30 and then the next 15 went 2:35. They are all pretty competitive relative to each other, so in that case all went fast.

jaretj

This is why I also like to look at the AA rankings, and what their times at various races have been. But since a lot of things depend on the course parameters for that day, makes it hard. But in theory, AA's have been weighted
against par times. I know at all the races I do, and compare ranking results, they are pretty accurate against folks I have race against for years. I would sure rather send a, lets say 30th ranked AA, than a person 25th from nationals that was a 150 ranked person. But just my thoughts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
As for the AA roll downs...I made AA last year and I'm not really a fast Oly person. My faster times came from HIM's.

jaretj

When they changed AA from 5% to 10%, it IMO really watered down the meaning.

Looking at your race results, you have real high rankings on some Olympics, but the times are sure longer than normal.

I see the AA roll down should never be over 5%. The times really drop after that and should have been left as HM, IMO.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triple T Olympic races are long and difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Triple T Olympic races are long and difficult.

I figured that since your ranking scores were super.

Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

it amounts to a financial play and not a quality play. Going to worlds should be about being fast, not finishing. But we hashed that out recently somewhere on here.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm reading that the roll-downs haven't even been defined yet. Just that the top 25 automatically qualify, and "USA Triathlon will implement a registration process for any unfilled Team USA slots that become available for finisher positions beyond 25th place in each age group. "

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WiScott wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm reading that the roll-downs haven't even been defined yet. Just that the top 25 automatically qualify, and "USA Triathlon will implement a registration process for any unfilled Team USA slots that become available for finisher positions beyond 25th place in each age group. "

Scott

All I see on the website is the below

Team USA Qualifications
The 2014 Olympic-Distance National Championships will qualify athletes for the 2015 International Triathlon Union (ITU) Short Course (Olympic-Distance) Triathlon World Championship. The 2015 ITU World Championships will be held in Chicago, Illinois. There will be 18 slots on Team USA available per age group, with slots rolling down to 25th place after the age-up rule.

Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, what you have is the most current information. Top 25 have auto-slots, roll down TBD.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
No, what you have is the most current information. Top 25 have auto-slots, roll down TBD.

Werid.

And unless they change the process on when you have to pay the full amount, many many back out with just a 50 dollar holding fee.

Quote Reply

Prev Next