Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My brain just exploded. [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just found actual footage of a bike exploding...

And it's not only bikes

And never put mentos in a pop bottle

Last edited by: jaretj: Jul 30, 14 4:11
Quote Reply
Re: My brain just exploded. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's is seriously the funniest shit I've ever seen, I think I've just shit my pants.
Quote Reply
Re: My brain just exploded. [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hincapie's steerer tube at Roubaix was aluminium. So I guess aluminium explodes as well. Somebody, please, think of the children!

Quote | Reply
Lmao!! Holy crap is that awesome!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: My brain just exploded. [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/

Santa Cruz testing the failure points of their carbon and aluminum frames. Carbon wins every time. Fast forward to 5:15 to see the final test where they take turns slamming the frame against a concrete pillar trying to break it, without success.

spoiler alert: no explosions...
Quote Reply
Re: My brain just exploded. [jsivvy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsivvy wrote:
Hincapie's steerer tube at Roubaix was aluminium. So I guess aluminium explodes as well. Somebody, please, think of the children!

It really is these bicycles. They explode!
Quote Reply
Re: My brain just exploded. [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Quote:
Once the fabric is in place, it is coated with epoxy, effectively creating a carbon-reinforced plastic bicycle.

Since when does carbon fiber + epoxy = plastic?

The most accurate descriptor is burnt string and glue. Although carbon reinforced plastic is a correct description. This helps distinguish it from carbon reinforced ceramic, or carbon fiber reinforced carbon, or possibly some metal matrix composite.
Quote Reply
Re: My brain just exploded. [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42x16ss wrote:
My thoughts as well - when carbon fibre fails, it fails catastrophically, not gradually. Remember George Hincapie's steerer tube at Paris Roubaix? The other thing with CF is that if the fibre is too stiff, it will crack and shatter.

High performance aluminum alloys or even steel will not fail gradually. The fact is that high performance engineering materials used at their limit tend fail spectacularly. The thing is that people will ride an aluminum frame with large dents and not think anything of it, but get freaked out by small crack or delamination in carbon frame, both frames have been compromised and are severely weakened.
Quote Reply
Re: My brain just exploded. [Harbo99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbo99 wrote:
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/

Santa Cruz testing the failure points of their carbon and aluminum frames. Carbon wins every time. Fast forward to 5:15 to see the final test where they take turns slamming the frame against a concrete pillar trying to break it, without success.

spoiler alert: no explosions...

But, but.... I like explosions.

That was very disappointing.
/pink

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: My brain just exploded. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I got to the part where he says "The bikes, they completely explode" and I couldn't read any more.

What's the problem? I've had 5 carbon bikes explode on me and frankly I am sick of it.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: My brain just exploded. [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen this rebuttal posted yet.

http://blogs.bicycling.com/...BL_20140730_28760486
Quote Reply
Re: My brain just exploded. [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
noofus wrote:

Maybe before decrying me as uneducated, perhaps you should ask yourself why your mother raised a complete dickhead?

She didn't raise me that way. I got that way dealing with people. :p And, I did not decry you as uneducated, rather I stated that before applying the term idiot to others, you should understand the word in question. I only implied that you were ignorant of all the various definitions of the word.

Quote:

I don't recall saying I was "facepalming" over the use of that particular word.

I'll grant you that. It was a bad reference to AaronT, I neglected to add that quote and attribute.

Quote:

I do, however, find the statement utterly ridiculous and without merit. Lets look at all the crashes that happened at the TdF this year. How many resulted in bikes that "completely exploded"? How many bikes had to be swapped out for a spare and the rider kept going, but there was no obvious damage to the bike that we could readily see on camera? The author of this wretched article still states that older style aluminum and steel bikes still would need to be swapped out, so why the hate for carbon fiber?

He goes on to state
Quote:
Rather the bikes and wheels frequently shatter, often hurling riders to the road "
I would like to see how many bikes during this years tour simply "failed" and sent the rider crashing to the ground. In other words, how many completely unprovoked catastrophic carbon failures were there?

Unprovoked? Very few, and none in this years TdF. I think that part was a bad inference, meaning that in an accident, the carbon bike fails causing further spill/damage where a metal frame wouldn't do that. IIRC, Contador's bike pretty much disintegrated, and one other that I saw. There may have been a couple others. The only unprovoked ones I've seen were an odd one here and there in some of the world time trial starts, and they are putting some decent stress on the frame for that.

John

Contador's bike was not damage while he was riding it, it was damaged when the bike was on the roof of the team car and another car hit it while it was in the bike cage. It broke when a car hit it going about 20 mph or more faster than the Tinkoff car was going so that is not a valid example; a steel bike would be pretty much be turned into a pretzel under those circumstances.
Quote Reply
Re: My brain just exploded. [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can design composite frames to not fail catastrophically, and some of them are.

Usually it doesn't matter though. Frames break because you crash, at which point, who cares.

patsullivan6630 wrote:
You have to keep in mind that your experience is statistically anecdotal. Carbon fiber, for all of its greatness, is not perfect. There is a failure rate associated with CF frames and owing to the rigid and monocoque manufacturing process a flaw that would cause a failure will make that failure completely catastrophic. It doesn't mean that I will go back to metal frames, it just means that we should not shove our hands in the sand about CF.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: My brain just exploded. [downesy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is one badass parakeet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next