Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FLO 30/60/90 for Sprint Triathlons [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch! It actually doesn't look that bad and gets the job done (60/30+wheelcover). I guess its "ridiculous" looking if you don't win your age group. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 30/60/90 for Sprint Triathlons [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:
Canadian wrote:
aries33 wrote:
116 psi is what I've tried based on Michelin chart. Harsh meaning, really bumpy. I've experimented a bit, but was looking for a more scientific recommendation. The ride quality improved at lower psi, but I always worry about losing speed at lower psi as well. Something along the lines of the Michelin chart but based on flo rims it what I was hoping for to kind of take the guess work out of it. Hopefully, this makes more sense.

I don't have a specific chart but 116psi too high. We recommend customers ride our wheels between 80psi and 105psi. Since the internal rim volume is larger, you don't need as much pressure. Think of a MTB tire or car tire. They require much less pressure. There is math and physics behind the reasoning but you probably don't want to hear that.

You mentioned you are worried about slowing down with lower pressures but if you are feeling harshness that can be much worse. You actually start to bounce around on the road and that kills your rolling resistance in a hurry. I'd recommend starting at 105 and working your way down. Since you seem to like higher pressures, find the highest pressure that removes the harshness you are feeling and stick there.

Does that make sense?

Definitely makes sense... Any idea what psi is the sweet spot for a 155lb rider on the 60/90 60/Disc combo?

I spoke with Tom A. (master of tires and rolling resistance) and he suggested using the following chart as a guide. Because our rims are wider than standard rims, his studies have suggested decreasing the suggested value by 5 psi.

http://oaksandspokes.com/...surechart121405B.jpg
I hope that helps,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 30/60/90 for Sprint Triathlons [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent, so exactly what I've been doing!

So lower pressure means better ride,but possibly giving up speed and increased chance of pinch flats.

Higher pressure means harsher ride but better protection against pinch flats. Right?

Thanks again!

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:
Excellent, so exactly what I've been doing!

So lower pressure means better ride,but possibly giving up speed and increased chance of pinch flats.

Higher pressure means harsher ride but better protection against pinch flats. Right?

Thanks again!

There are a lot of variables. Lower pressure doesn't always equal lower speeds. Also, if you properly install your tubes, and keep your pressures inside the recommendations above, you shouldn't be getting many pinch flats. Are you getting a lot of pinch flats?

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 30/60/90 for Sprint Triathlons [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, I was just trying to see if there was a good rule of thumb.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:
Nope, I was just trying to see if there was a good rule of thumb.

Then you're fine. I'd just stick to the chart as a guide and go from there.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Post deleted by ydeeps [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: ydeeps: Aug 20, 14 9:47
Re: FLO 30/60/90 for Sprint Triathlons [mueller16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an unusual take on this sort of thing: if you're a strong rider (which you are relatively speaking) you'll only see low yaw angles. As such, there won't be much of a difference between a 30/60/90 up front. If you ride fast and experience strong cross winds, the yaw angle you encounter will increase. For me, personally, in such strong cross winds I don't like to have a deep wheel up front: it's too much work to keep it pointed straight. As such, I run a 303/808 which would be like running a Flo 30/90.

tl;dr the best bang for your buck is likely a Flo 30 front and a disc cover for your existing rear.
Quote Reply

Prev Next