Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero tops/suits when wet
Quote | Reply
I finally raced this weekend in my Castelli T1 Stealth. It was just an Olympic and wetsuit legal, so I wore it for the swim. It was a rather "cold" race, maybe 65F on the bike. When I finished the bike, my top was still soaking wet. SOAKING. WET. Like I just got out of the water.

My question is a two parter:
1) Simple logic (to me) would say that wet clothing is significantly slower than dry clothing. Did the wet top cost me time? Has anyone tested this and have real data?
2) How is the drying/wicking of the PI Octane? Anybody have experience with both?

I'm searching for the answer now on the forum, articles and tests for non-cycling stuff but I'm not finding an answer anywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tops/suits when wet [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holding water will also overheat you, as wet garments insulate when humid......

I see even Marino went without sleeves this weekend.....maybe the fad is over?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
I finally raced this weekend in my Castelli T1 Stealth. It was just an Olympic and wetsuit legal, so I wore it for the swim. It was a rather "cold" race, maybe 65F on the bike. When I finished the bike, my top was still soaking wet. SOAKING. WET. Like I just got out of the water.

My question is a two parter:
1) Simple logic (to me) would say that wet clothing is significantly slower than dry clothing. Did the wet top cost me time? Has anyone tested this and have real data?
2) How is the drying/wicking of the PI Octane? Anybody have experience with both?

I'm searching for the answer now on the forum, articles and tests for non-cycling stuff but I'm not finding an answer anywhere.

I wear the PI Octane under the wetsuit and it dries VERY fast on the bike :)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tops/suits when wet [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Holding water will also overheat you, as wet garments insulate when humid......

I see even Marino went without sleeves this weekend.....maybe the fad is over?

I definitely don't think the fad is over -- just personal opinion. I think this will catch on like wildfire simply because it "looks" cooler and newer for the basic triathlete. We'll see plenty of people doing Tri and the top won't fit correctly.

Interesting about the insulation... I didn't feel that occurred but it was only an hour bike. Might have been noticeable in an IM (which is what this top is intended for in my case)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you start the run with it wet, it will insulate in humid climate....which is why some good companies use materials that dry quickly, or don't even absorb water (better yet). Overheating is much more prevalent during the run. The logistics of having a suit that will flex with the arm or not bind during swimming, and then form around the arm with no wrinkles, and then being cool during the run is a lot to ask for any suit manufacturer. The current breed seem to be great on the bike; much less so for the other sports. Smmes Luke's race in kona parallels Norman's Kuota race.....one offs jump starting a brand or trend? Just MO.
Last edited by: ggeiger: Jul 28, 14 10:46
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tops/suits when wet [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the top insulating on the run won't matter... it comes off for that since I'd rather run in a run singlet. Another reason I've avoided the Octane.

As for the T1 on the swim... it seemed fine. My time wasn't great but I think the course was long.
Quote Reply