Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ITU WC Edmonton Start list is up [GrumpyCat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrumpyCat wrote:
I'd bet on a non wet suit swim, unless we get a lot of rain or some colder temps.

Just checked the long term forecast and it does have us cooling off next week, not that they can accurately predict stuff that far out.

50/50 chance of non-wetsuit swim. Final answer.

I don't think the 'lake' has water yet, or just got it.. so.. who knows. may be tough to get it above 22*c in 2 weeks with the weather cooling.

It was filled a month ago, so this barely 6ft deep pool has been exposed to all the 30C+ weather for the past couple weeks.

I was hoping they were going to fill it from a hydrant the week before too. Way less duck poop that way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn, i got mis-information. hopefully the cool nights keep the temp down for us crappy swimmers.

Last edited by: uncle_evan: Aug 13, 14 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GrumpyCat wrote:
I'd bet on a non wet suit swim, unless we get a lot of rain or some colder temps.

Just checked the long term forecast and it does have us cooling off next week, not that they can accurately predict stuff that far out.

50/50 chance of non-wetsuit swim. Final answer.

Really going out on a limb there aren't you LOL! "50/50 chance" is basically saying "I have no clue." :)

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: ITU WC Edmonton Start list is up [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rj_tri wrote:
It's been warm in Edmonton and the 'lake' is quite small and shallow, so my guess is that it's pretty warm in there right now.
Probably too early to predict the weather but historically it's usually about 20-22 degrees at that time of year. Because it's worlds though.. it will probably rain :)

Just checked the ITU rules, magic number for all races is 22c. Above, no wetsuits.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: ITU WC Edmonton Start list is up [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
rj_tri wrote:
It's been warm in Edmonton and the 'lake' is quite small and shallow, so my guess is that it's pretty warm in there right now.
Probably too early to predict the weather but historically it's usually about 20-22 degrees at that time of year. Because it's worlds though.. it will probably rain :)

Just checked the ITU rules, magic number for all races is 22c. Above, no wetsuits.

Being the world championships I'm assuming they are going to be more strict about that than your average race director might. That said for the sprint I go non-wetsuit anyways as I still have a helluva time getting out of a wetsuit fast :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
rj_tri wrote:

Can almost guarantee no wetsuits, unless they start refrigerating the lake.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU WC Edmonton Start list is up [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
rj_tri wrote:

Can almost guarantee no wetsuits, unless they start refrigerating the lake.

Its cooling of a lot after sunday.... highs under 20 and lows about 10.. fingers crossed

rbuike wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
rj_tri wrote:

Being the world championships I'm assuming they are going to be more strict about that than your average race director might. That said for the sprint I go non-wetsuit anyways as I still have a helluva time getting out of a wetsuit fast :)

Sorry, this is not the case. At WC at Gold Coast in 2009, they LIED about the water temperature so it forced us to not be able to wear a wetsuit for the Aquathlon. Since a person in the race barged into the ITU board meeting that
night to protest, was amazing for the other two races even though the water temp was the same, they allowed wetsuits.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, at the Canadian AG Nationals in Magog the sprint was wetsuit legal at 21.5C but somehow the water temperature went up 1.5C overnight and the Oly at "23C" was not wetsuit legal.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Re: ITU WC Edmonton Start list is up [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Funny, at the Canadian AG Nationals in Magog the sprint was wetsuit legal at 21.5C but somehow the water temperature went up 1.5C overnight and the Oly at "23C" was not wetsuit legal.

This is why on this trip I am bringing my water temp measuring stuff. If games are being played, I would jump right on it.

Now, with that being said, since the lying about water temp by the ITU in the 2009 WC's, all races since seemed to have been "correctly" measuring water temps. Maybe the gal barging into the ITU board meeting in 2009
made an impression that athletes do not like rules being broken and lied about in a race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked on the tweeter what the water temperature is and they responded that they will start measuring and posting on Wednesday.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Re: ITU WC Edmonton Start list is up [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
I asked on the tweeter what the water temperature is and they responded that they will start measuring and posting on Wednesday.

Great, let us know. Since I suck at the swim, I am now mentally preparing that if will not be a wetsuit swim for my 3 races. :o( All I want to do is race
healthy and try to get a killer run time. I could care less about my time or placing. These races are just my reward for all the hard work. Just fun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just looking at the handbook. The waves for the oly are interesting. I'm M40-44. M35-39 is only 3 minutes before us and F30-34 is 14 minutes ahead of them. It seems like there's a lot of potential for a crowded course.

Then there's a 27 minute gap.

I've never done Worlds so I don't know what to expect. I figured there'd be bigger gaps between the waves, but I suppose the two loop swim course makes that tough.
Quote Reply

Prev Next