Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BEST GPS WATCH for Running & Hiking??
Quote | Reply
Looking for something simple, Pace, Distance, but also Elevation.
Quote Reply
Re: BEST GPS WATCH for Running & Hiking?? [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you plan on hiking in forests the GPS watch isn't going to work terribly well.

What are you trying to do? If just record pace distance time and elevation than any running GPS watch with a baro altimeter is going to work. If you want maps directions etc so you don't get lost while hiking? I don't know if anyone makes a wristwatch for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything you'll need to know is here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...recommendations.html
Quote Reply
Re: BEST GPS WATCH for Running & Hiking?? [gironamo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Gironamo DC is all knowing when it comes to all things activity tracking
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmuffin wrote:
Looking for something simple, Pace, Distance, but also Elevation.

Suunto Ambit series. Pretty good navigation features included and they are on sale everywhere right now.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: BEST GPS WATCH for Running & Hiking?? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
If you plan on hiking in forests the GPS watch isn't going to work terribly well.
Since when? My 910 is over 2 years old and tracks just fine in the woods. It may miss a very tight switchback or 2, but it is certainly as good as I would ever expect. I'd bet the newer ambits would be just as good.

Dilbert wrote:
What are you trying to do? If just record pace distance time and elevation than any running GPS watch with a baro altimeter is going to work. If you want maps directions etc so you don't get lost while hiking? I don't know if anyone makes a wristwatch for that.

If you can get a map in gpx (or similar) format, you can add that as a "course" in the higher end garmin watches. I'm sure the ambit's have a similar function. Also, you can add waypoint locations by their GPS coordinates, and then navigate to those. It will just be an arrow and a "as the crow flies" distance. Certainly, that is of limited help if the trails are curvy, but perhaps good enough for a general idea where you are heading (or where you left the car).

The biggest consideration is battery life. The Ambits and Fenix both have battery modes that use very little battery at the expense of tracking accuracy. If you use those modes, your gps tracks will have a long polling interval, and so crappy tracks, total distance and pace.

If you don't mind carrying an external battery, you can charge and and track at the same time. You'll just not be able to do much with the watch since it'll be engulfed by the charging clip.
Quote Reply
Re: BEST GPS WATCH for Running & Hiking?? [bulfrog2004] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perfect...
Quote Reply