Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fixing punctured tubular during race
Quote | Reply
What have been your experiences if this has happened to you?
I have yet to flat a tubular in a race but was wondering what to do? I know the usual can of pitstop is a go to answer but I know this is not fool proof.

Thoughts?
just want to cross every T before my ironman

Ryan

Quote Reply
Re: Fixing punctured tubular during race [malfara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the best bet to carry a pre streched/glued tubular and a razor blade to cut the old one off?

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Fixing punctured tubular during race [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glue will hold? IMMT is not that technical but it does have a few sweeping corners at speed...and a few decents where youhit 75-80kph

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pitstop is a 50-50 proposition, if that. If you follow the directions you are supposed to inflate then press a finger on the puncture spot for 5 minutes before continuing. You can roll a new tubular in 5 minutes and the odds of success are a great deal higher than 50-50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, glue will hold. As you ride you'll be adhesing it with the pressure. If there is glue on the tire and glue on the rim it will hold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put a couple ounces of Orange Seal in my tubs. I've had a few punctures so far this season plus a minor sidewall cut and am still rolling with the same rubber no problem. All I did for one of the punctures was pull out the staple (or brad or whatever it was) since it was pretty big and sticking out of the tread slightly so I could grab it with my fingernails, gave the wheel a quick spin and she sealed up nice and tight right away. I topped up with some CO2 and I was on my way in no time. During a race, I'd say I could be up to speed again in less than 2 minutes with a stop for debris removal and CO2 top up. In fact, sealant might work so well you might not even notice a puncture at all if it's small.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Fixing punctured tubular during race [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am running a disc from my LBS so i wont be able to get the sealant in the front. The 404 front on the other hand will get some for sure!

Thanks for that.

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, and MT is a very clean course and if you have any gas when you hit Chemin du Plessis you might even enjoy the scenery.

I feel sorry for those guys in Le Tour de France. All that beautiful scenery and all most of them see is the butt of the rider in front of them. Maybe you will have better luck?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
malfara wrote:
glue will hold? IMMT is not that technical but it does have a few sweeping corners at speed...and a few decents where youhit 75-80kph

Yes, the tire will hold.....but don't go ripping through any turns. The descents should not be an issue by themselves, but definitely be careful on all turns.

if the tire is pre-glued as suggested, it will help in the adhesion, but since it never had a chacne to cure with the rim, the bond is nowhere near as strong as a properly glued tire. It will get you home, but don't expect the same performance in turns.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply