Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cervelo new P3 Headset bearings (Help @ IM Whistler) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dev,

That, and the priorities are different between the R-series and P-series. More emphasis on aero for the P-series, so the smaller bearing reduces the frontal area of the head tube.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo new P3 Headset bearings (Help @ IM Whistler) [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi Dev,

That, and the priorities are different between the R-series and P-series. More emphasis on aero for the P-series, so the smaller bearing reduces the frontal area of the head tube.

Cheers,

On the new P3 I feel like I am on a highly upgraded version of my original white Kestrel 4000. I saw a picture of Mark Allen riding it in Nice in 1990 and was first on the local buyer list in 1991. Carbon bikes have come a long way, but that thing had a narrow head tube:

Unfortunately, mine developed a crack so I got a Kestrel 200 SCi a few months before Penticton 1991. Also very narrow frontal on that bike...that was IM number 1....thanks for getting me to the start of IM #26. Everything is mechanically good to go. After being cooped up in airplanes and hotels for 2 days with mechanical and rain related forced taper just went did 40K of riding with 2000 ft of climbing and everything is rock solid now:

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo new P3 Headset bearings (Help @ IM Whistler) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dev,

It's a small world - I worked for Kestrel as a tech rep from roughly 1989-1991. :-)

Thanks for the photos and a trip down memory lane!

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo new P3 Headset bearings (Help @ IM Whistler) [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi Dev,

It's a small world - I worked for Kestrel as a tech rep from roughly 1989-1991. :-)

Thanks for the photos and a trip down memory lane!

Cheers,

6 speed
Mavic GP4 rims
Down tube Dura Ace Shifters
53x39 with 13-18 corn cob (wtf was I thinking doing IMC on that?)
Cinelli base bars
Profile Clip ons
Selle Italia Turbomatic saddle
Oakley Factory Pilots
Taper Squared UN 71 BB
172.5 Shimano Ultegra cranks
Quill stem
Kestrel 200 SCI frame

I still have that bike bolted to my computrainer upgraded to 8 speed with profile base bars and visiontech clip ons and 13-23 cassette and 170 Sinz taper square 110 bcd BMX cranks. I believe taper square BB was replaced around 3 times. Kestrel gave me a warranty upgrade to the frame in 2000 as it had developed a crack by then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to revive an old thread but I took my 2014 P3 apart to clean the headset and found that the bearings were seized to the frame and they basically disintegrated while I was taking them out. I went to my LBS but they apparently ordered the wrong size (41.8 mm) as they will not fit in the frame. I've found what I believe to the be correct part number from Cane Creek (HSS20130) but I was wondering if anyone can confirm that both the top and bottom bearings are the same before I order.
Quote Reply

Prev Next