Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fenix 2 Users
Quote | Reply
Would you recommend buying one? I've read many forums where people complain about open water swim accuracy ( as the line is clear out of the lake) also it freezes . I know people with problems usually only post to forums but I wanted to hear from any happy users.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 2 Users [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one. I like it for most everything else and just am awaiting an inevitable OWS fix.

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 2 Users [spomeroy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have it and replaced my 910xt (which I lost) and am happy with it.

I have not had it freeze at all and I can now use Garmin connect on my android to transfer files. The OWS seems to be less accurate than the 910, but that wasn't great anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 2 Users [aaq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the courses work very well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were to do it again, I'd get another 910 rather than the fenix 2.

The only thing the fenix 2 adds for me is temperature readings, and those are nice and I have an idea of what I will use them for - it doesn't outweigh the step back in accuracy that the fenix 2 shows over the 910. I think partially due to an intellectual property dispute, the fenix 2 no longer uses sirf chips, but uses one from somewhere else. The lower accuracy is pretty well documented and you can find websites dedicated to analyzing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 2 Users [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats what I was wondering, I have an 910 that has been sent back every year for various problems but overall I like the 910. I was looking for something a tad bit smaller for swimming and basically a new toy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
Would you recommend buying one? I've read many forums where people complain about open water swim accuracy ( as the line is clear out of the lake) also it freezes . I know people with problems usually only post to forums but I wanted to hear from any happy users.

Run from the Fenix. Run far, far away. But, don't wear your Fenix while doing it becuase it might freeze up.

Besides the freezing, OWS accuracy, and lap-swim accuracy, the real problem is it's not waterproof. My first was sent back after it develped condensation under the screen, eventually causing the watch to no longer turn on. They replaced it without a problem. In my swim yesterday, I noticed water under the screen and it's still there. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until this one stops working.

I really wanted to like this watch but it's just not ready for primetime.

Before anyone asks, I don't press the buttons under water. All I use it for is to count laps (distance) so I don't have to. I hit start and it stays on my wrist. I don't use it for splits or intervals.

It's going back and I'm not getting another one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i havent used it in an OWS yet so i can not speak to that. Also this is my first ever watch but I have been real happy with it. It only froze once and that was a couple updates ago. I have used to for a bunch of swims and have only noticed it counting laps wrong when i switch strokes mid lap. Like i said i have no complaints and would buy another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got mine in late may and I like it a lot. It has only frozen on me once and that was when I hooked it up to download my workouts to my laptop about a month ago. Yes i would buy one again but then I liked supporting a home state company and got a good deal on it. No OWS yet but plenty of laps in the pool with no leakage issues. I do adventure races in the off season too which is why I bought the fenix 2 over other models. You will come across responses and reviews with technical issues but I think if you consider how many units are in service it is probably quite a low percentage. I do not work for Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 2 Users [Lotusrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it seem pretty accurate to your known courses as in your i.e. 4 mile loop or what ever same loops you run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Seems pretty accurate compared to my 310xt and Garmin 510. Better on elevation than either of those, but I do think the 310xt was a bit more accurate in hilly wooded areas during trail runs. That is based on the Fenix2 coming up a bit short. Have only done a handful of open water swims, but it seems accurate. Has missed a grand total of 2 turns in the pool. Total.

The Bluetooth upload is a KILLER feature and after some initial issues with the Garmin Connect iPhone app, my experience has been perfect. Battery life is fantastic and I can/do actually wear it as a daily watch.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love it.

Bike- I ride with my garmin 500 and Fenix 2 every day, they are virtually identical in reading.

Run - I did a test with the 910 and fenix 2 running and they were virtually identical.

Swim- I can't comment

I like the look a lot better then the 910, it looks like a big normal watch.

I also love that the gps doesnt go on and suck juice until your ready to do an activity. I wear it all the time and charge it every couple days. With my 910, the gps was on all the time, so you had to charge it every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the fenix2 and the 910. I still use the 910 for racing. I"ve had trouble with multiport mode with my fenix2. Individual workouts are pretty good with the fenix2. I find the pacing at the start of an interval is way faster than I'm going but it gets better as the interval goes.

I guess if I were choosing now I'd probably go with the fenix2 as it continues to get updated by Garmin but the 910 is rock solid for me at least
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the Fenix 2 for a few months and I really like it. The only issue I've had is that sometimes it's a bit slow to upload wirelessly to my phone. I can always get it to work, it's just not a seamless process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm ok with it ... I like the run metrics piece.

I prefer the 910 display over the fenix 2.

I started having problems with the Fenix 2 freezing ... Did a hard reset and hopefully that solves the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No issues except the ff:
1. OWS sucks. It just over measure the distance. hmph!
2. Freezes over the run when it cant find a HRM or no GPS signal somewhere on the route.

This has been consistent with over 4 F/W updrades from the last 2-3 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a Fenix 2 since Memorial Day weekend. I've only used it for biking and running due to life. That said, I love the feature set on it overall. Garmin has done a good job for once of pushing software updates on a regular basis as well. Some of my favorite features, such as the bluetooth syncing to Garmin Connect on Android works but not seamlessly. Some of this could be operator error but it's never as easy as just connecting the F2 to my phone and letting it sync. I've always been able to get it to work but some times it takes 10+ minutes and I have to repair the Fenix 2 to my phone.
Quote Reply