Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
Steer clear of Playtri, they are the WTC of the DFW tri community, and go to Tri Shop. If you need a good fit ask to talk to Ron Schmidt there.

I'll second talking to Ron. He used to live in my neck of the woods. I don't know him well but do know his work and he's very good.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
I believe TriShop and NT Dynamic Bike Fit, http://dynamicbikefit.com/ have the only 2 Master Certifed Retul fitters in Dallas.

I have had at least 4 fittings from Craig over the year at NT Dynamic.

I have only checked out TriShop a few times (long ways from downtown D) but i really like their service and i know one of their coaches.

BikeMart Dallas store (aka RBM) for me has the best service dept bar none. I have bought numerous bike from them and there svc dept does alot of free work for me now and
will help me with anything i need.

I think of all the teams out there PlayTri seems to get the most angst, but that likely deserves another thread on race *tactics* we have heard they teach.

I'll second Craig @ NT Dynamic!
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having been fit by two of the shops that are being talked about, the Trishop stands out. RBM fit me the old fashion way and while the fit was good it was a little off that lead to an injury. Now have purchased two bikes from Trishop and feel more comfortable, running faster off the bike, and injury free. It seems like if someone is stuck on a bike they do not carry they end up getting fit there anyways. Service department is always to the point and always have done good work for me.

Playtri never interested me, spoke with them a few times about fits but nothing stood out. Did not like their bike fitter there or their sister company Rockwall cycling. Told me it could take 4-5 hours to get a bike to fit and a lot of this would not be on the bike. The person should fit the bike not vice versa.

I did have some problems with RBM's service which is no longer why they have any of my business.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i know the fitters at tri shop, they're serious guys. Trent Nix is the guy i would first speak to there. it's his shop.

look, there is not a lot of mystery here, or shouldn't be. we have listed what are reasonable bike fit expectations. i have listed and written about the modern bike fit systems that are in use today.

you're clearly a smart and inquisitive guy, you can read these articles and this will equip you to ask the questions you should ask. ask these questions of your proposed fitter, and if your fitter does not have a fit bike, like a retul, a guru, purely custom, shimano, or exit cycling, then exit the store. he's not ready. he's not really a fitter, he just wants to be a fitter on the cheap. it's that simple.

then, compare your output with that of the typical athlete. does your output fall into a typical range? if not, then ask why. ask yourself why, ask your fitter why, and ask those on this forum why.

I read the "fit expectations" article last night. It was fascinating. I had no idea it was so involved. I always just thought that a person needed to ensure they didn't quite lock their knees on the bottom of the pedal stroke... this forum is absolutely incredible. This is the greatest resource I have found on multisport.

I guess I need to stop spending money on components and go get a real fit.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [randymessman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"this forum is absolutely incredible. This is the greatest resource I have found on multisport."

bless your heart

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [randymessman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could probably tell the same story about all of the shops in DFW. It's not that they are bad, but all of them will make mistakes now and then. Each has a bad employee or two (or location) and the key is knowing who at each shop to ask for when you go there. Another issue is not all shops share the same opinion on fit, gear and value. That creates confusion and frustration on its own.

I know of at least one solid, totally trustworthy and experienced person at each company.

The good news for us as a local consumer is each has its own different angle: RBM=Mega Store, Playtri=Coaching+Analysis+Gear, Trishop=Pointy end tri bike expertise+Gear, BikePlus=Roadie knowledge+Gear, etc. Determine what is important to you and then pick your shop.

Playtri does a lot of good for the local triathlon community in DFW and I promise you if you called their owner (not hard to find his name/number on their website) he'd get you squared away in the same amount of time it took you to write your post. Not throwing stones at you, but that owner takes pride in his business and his (and his store's) reputation and delivering quality service is very important.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not throwing stones at you, but that owner takes pride in his business and his (and his store's) reputation and delivering quality service is very important.[/quote]

I didn't take it that way and know that every place/business has it's strengths and weaknesses. I probably should have left out the name of the store in hindsight. I think the thing that concerned me when I starting learning more about maintenance and fit was that I went back twice and asked about fit and two different folks had two different views on the way the bike was set up, stem, and the torque/locktite thing. I was, and still am to a certain extent, very ignorant to the ways of fit and proper bike set up. The only reason I posted was that in the little that I have learned I knew there were a couple of things, in my opinion, that should have been taken care of initially on a bike costing more than my first car. ('79 Dodge Aspen R/T btw)

I shouldn't've mentioned names or thrown anyone or their business under the bus. I did get a screaming deal from them on the bike and good advice and a fair price on a wetsuit.
Last edited by: randymessman: Jul 23, 14 13:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had nothing but great experiences at the Playtri in McKinney. I've heard horror stories from cyclists about ALL of the shops others have listed as the "always" go to. Point is simply that people and employees can make mistakes anywhere. I would go see Justin in McKinney and let him know what's been going on. He makes sure sh*t gets done over there and i'd bet he would make it right for you.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [tri9865] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri9865 wrote:
I've had nothing but great experiences at the Playtri in McKinney. I've heard horror stories from cyclists about ALL of the shops others have listed as the "always" go to. Point is simply that people and employees can make mistakes anywhere. I would go see Justin in McKinney and let him know what's been going on. He makes sure sh*t gets done over there and i'd bet he would make it right for you.

Odd that your account was just created today and this is your first post. However I do agree that everyone has different experiences at different shops.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [tri9865] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri9865 wrote:

You know what you are completely right. Seems silly so far after the fact but I should allow them to fix it at least.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [bricklayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bricklayer wrote:
tri9865 wrote:

Odd that your account was just created today and this is your first post. However I do agree that everyone has different experiences at different shops.

Propaganda, meet counterpropaganda...

I'm sort of surprised that this post wasn't deleted due to the "no trial by internet" rule.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
bricklayer wrote:
tri9865 wrote:

Propaganda, meet counterpropaganda...

I'm sort of surprised that this post wasn't deleted due to the "no trial by internet" rule.

Agreed on both the propaganda and the allowing it to move forward on the previous trial by internet precedents set on here.

If "tri9865" is a representative of Playtri, I would hope r hey would disclose that though.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [bricklayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Playtri should offer him a trucker hat to smooth things over.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Jul 23, 14 16:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only if shopping there means I represent them. usually just read posts on slowtwitch but didn't like that it was a local shop called out by name, never have even logged on before to post. would bet someone would have done the same for rbm too. aren't we all a little protective of "our" bike shops :) not everything is a conspiracy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I shouldn't've mentioned names or thrown anyone or their business under the bus."

You can still go back and edit the title and content of your post to save face. Maybe just say "My LBS" instead of the actual Title.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The conspiracies make the best threads though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
true, and now I want one of those trucker hats for advocating for them
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"That is 100% ridiculous. That's the same as saying the guy who shows up on the group ride with the most expensive bike is the fastest guy there. Experience and intelligence matter more than the tool used."

you and i will just have to agree to disagree. it's more like going to a tire shop, and the guy doesn't own a tire machine to quickly replace tires on rims. yes, you can do business without a tire machine, you really just need a crowbar. but, why would a tire shop not have a tire machine?

this isn't a binary choice. you don't choose either a fitter with experience, or you choose one with the proper tools. that's really a false choice. i think in this day and age it's reasonable to expect both, and to demand both.

however, i'm willing to come in your direction if you can make your case. can you tell me how these fit tools help? and why, notwithstanding, a fitter can expect to provide a proper service without them?

I'm guessing he hasn't met Jim @ ERO. Jim could probably fit someone better than 99% of the population with his eyes closed, but he also uses Retul as a means to check his work, and to also allow for data over time to be checked and sometimes applied to new equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Mckinney, TX [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm guessing he hasn't met Jim @ ERO."

These acronyms are killing me. What is ero?
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Mckinney, TX [randymessman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymessman wrote:

I'm guessing he hasn't met Jim @ ERO."

These acronyms are killing me. What is ero?

Jim Manton

http://ero-sports.com/

He also hosted the first AeroCamp that has an extensive thread here.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at the place where I bought my bike in Mckinney, TX [randymessman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my knowledge, you do not torque a top cap. It is what pre-loads the headset bearings, so you adjust it so you have proper headset movement without bearing play. The fact that your fork flaps back and forth could just be really smooth bearings and cable routing that does not add any friction against the frame. I know my Kestrel has the same issue but my road bike does not (road bike the shifter housing rubs against the frame which adds some friction). With all of that said, if you had play in the headset bearings then it was definitely too loose.

Not defending any store or taking a stance, just wanted you to know that the top cap may not have been a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justin, one of the partners at Playtri called me today to offer up any help and stress that he would have made it right if I would have come back to them. So I want to apologize for using this public forum to vent about my bike setup and fit. I simply should have just gone back. I didn't intend to throw anyone or their business under the bus but regardless of my intentions, that's exactly what happened. Justin is a standup guy to find my phone number and give me a call personally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"this forum is absolutely incredible. This is the greatest resource I have found on multisport."

bless your heart

Makes my whole damn day when someone uses and old Southern saying. It's 12:30 am on the east coast, so technically this got my day off to a good start!

Thanks, Slowman!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Mrcooper [ In reply to ]
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
cheesed off? never heard that phrase - where do you live?

It's a British expression. A more polite version of pissed off.
Quote Reply

Prev Next