Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Door county triathlon
Quote | Reply
I know this gets posted every year but since yesterday was the 10th annual and my first time doing the race I just wanted to do a little PSA

Fantastic and well organized event. On par or better than WTC and Rev3 events (I have done a dozen WTC no rev 3). Beautiful course and one of the most beautiful destinations in the country. Plenty for the family to do before during and after

Race sold out in 15 days this year so it doesn't need a lot of hype but for those considering a race to travel to as part of a larger family vacation I highly recommend. You will not be disappointed in the race portion of your vacation

Sprint on sat half on sun both with relay options

Kudos to Sean and his staff. Thanks for making my experience one I will come back for
Quote Reply
Re: Door county triathlon [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed X's 10.

And this year they made all of the on-course/finisher race photos free to download. No more paying ~10 bucks per photo.

Even if it did add a couple of $$'s to the entry fee to cover their expenses, I thought it was great idea...I hope it turns out well and other folks feel the same.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thumbs up all around. I especially liked the post race meal. Hope to return again but lots of driving (over 1500 miles since Thursday after work) and work scheduling may make it a hit and miss for the next few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another +1 for me. Absolutely great race. From the course to the volunteers to the post race activities everything was great. Would be back again in a heartbeat if I wasn't moving so far away this fall. I can't fathom why anyone would pick Racine over Door County.
Quote Reply
Re: Door county triathlon [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+111 This was the first time for me doing the Door County Half. I used to vacation to Door County as a teenager and always wanted to get back. This was the perfect excuse. Only glitch was the resort we stayed at. I made reservations before the race opened up back in September and upon arrival found out they lost my reservations despite having a confirmation print out from an email they sent me. Resort was pretty much sold out. We had to do the room shuffle which was a pain for our family. But in the end they made it right. Outside of this glitch, the race was worth the 6+ hour drive. I have to imagine this is top 5 1/2 ironman in the country. From the venue, community support, volunteers, course, post race, and how the event was run its really second to none. I can't wait to go back. I'd imagine it will continue to grow in popularity and get harder and harder to get into. And yes, not having to cough up a ton of cash for race photos is a big plus for me. Much appreciated! Great job Door County Triathlon!
Quote Reply
Re: Door county triathlon [Edgewater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edgewater wrote:
+111 This was the first time for me doing the Door County Half. I used to vacation to Door County as a teenager and always wanted to get back. This was the perfect excuse. Only glitch was the resort we stayed at. I made reservations before the race opened up back in September and upon arrival found out they lost my reservations despite having a confirmation print out from an email they sent me. Resort was pretty much sold out. We had to do the room shuffle which was a pain for our family. But in the end they made it right. Outside of this glitch, the race was worth the 6+ hour drive. I have to imagine this is top 5 1/2 ironman in the country. From the venue, community support, volunteers, course, post race, and how the event was run its really second to none. I can't wait to go back. I'd imagine it will continue to grow in popularity and get harder and harder to get into. And yes, not having to cough up a ton of cash for race photos is a big plus for me. Much appreciated! Great job Door County Triathlon!

bump for another plug. As my kids reach their teenage years I am intending to do some destination races as part of family trips (St George, IMAZ etc).

If I lived somewhere outside upper Midwest and was trying to do the same thing this would be on my list. The destination (door co WI) is a great trip for the family and the race quality backs up the plan (you will get a quality race experience).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean Ryan and his staff do a fantastic job. This is the best race in the Midwest! Plan to make it 5 years in a row in 2015!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with all of the above. This was my first race since 2009. All aspects of the race ran smoothly and it's a great area to spend a few days with the family around the event. Nice to have the sprint Saturday and half Sunday, wife raced the sprint and me the half. The free race pics is a nice feature for sure. We will be back!
Quote Reply
Re: Door county triathlon [brptak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many of us wish the paved boat lot-(transitional area)- would be enlarged so a "few more" athletes can participate.
Quote Reply
Re: Door county triathlon [PeterAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeterAK wrote:
Agree with all of the above. This was my first race since 2009. All aspects of the race ran smoothly and it's a great area to spend a few days with the family around the event. Nice to have the sprint Saturday and half Sunday, wife raced the sprint and me the half. The free race pics is a nice feature for sure. We will be back!

The free digital download pictures was a nice touch. I received mine yesterday! An expanded transition area would allow for more participants; however, that means later waves. I heard that the 8am race start is the earliest since they need the volunteers out on the roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 8 a.m. start is a benefit as far as I'm concerned. It's still an early morning, but an extra hour of sleep vs. a 7 a.m. start is nice, and the afternoon is spent hanging out at the race venue with friends and / or family either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The waves started at 3 minute intervals. That is 20 waves per hour. How many athletes per wave is safe? Was the swim course crowded for those starting closer to 9am?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, second year for doing the race and enjoyed it. I've done Racine 70.3 and Door County is much better bang for the dollar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does registration always open on January 1? Planning on adding this to the calendar next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Door county triathlon [thebigb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thebigb wrote:
Does registration always open on January 1? Planning on adding this to the calendar next year.

Swim course was not crowded at all.

Registration has always opened on Jan 1 (at least the five years I have signed up)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thebigb wrote:

Sold out by mid jan this year for the half. There is a Facebook page where you can buy someone's spot closer to race day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thebigb wrote:

Yes! And if you miss out they allow transfers, usually easy to get come June, if you live in Wisconsin, otherwise you just need to ask the right people ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Door county triathlon [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Adding to the calendar for next year. Going to race it with my cousin in Chicago.
Quote Reply