Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [lrcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lrcanuck wrote:
Please someone explain the scenery appeal of races to me? This was my 10th race and I have to say I have never been looking at any scenery. I have been starring at the road in front of me and focussing on going hard in the race. Am I doing it wrong? The only real appeal of this race is that I live a couple minutes away.

At the risk of feeding the shark, I'm going to give this a shot.

If you talk to some of the other people who are racing with, you might learn that not everyone shares the same goals as you. There are as many reasons to participate in a triathlon as there are people—especially in such a high-profile event as this. If you look a little further back from the top-10, you'll find first-timers, newbies, friends, wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, co-workers, friends—all of whom have a different reason for why they're doing this race. I can assure you that none of them give a shit about who won it.

Part of the appeal is being able to do a race downtown in the biggest city in Canada, where you can enjoy the most scenic route into the core. A lot of us take that for granted, as we're either driving at 100 km/h down it or stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic. It might be novel to ride this highway on a bike, but it's a pretty fun one, and it hasn't worn off on me yet. We get to do this while participating at an event done at this scale, all while being able to have our family and friends all be there to support us. That means something to a lot of people. But that's not all of it.

Did you hear about the man who died and was rescued and brought back to life at the event last year? His only goal was to participate in a triathlon. Do you think if he made it to the bike he'd be concentrating on "starring [sic] at the road in front" and "focussing on the race"? How about the older woman who was just getting into T2, long after most competitors finished the race and walked back to transition? The one who I had to help pick up the bikes she knocked over as she struggled to lift her bike back onto the rack. Or my pregnant friend who wanted to use this race to have one last triathlon before she's due. Do you think they have the same motivation to compete in this race as you?

These people's goals are just as important to them as yours is to you. If being in an environment that caters to these types of people bothers you, that's okay. You've already identified that this event is not for you, and there are other races that will suit you just fine. You mentioned the Subaru series, which is great because I'm sure you already know their races attract the most competitive people in the area. Maybe concentrate on Chicago next year for the ITU Worlds. You'll find lots of company there.

That said, I agree that the ribbons were a bit cheesy. After finally successfully placing after five years of trying, it was slightly disappointing to go home with an old-school ribbon and a flower. Not the end of the world by any means, and it didn't ruin any of the enjoyment for me. If it means that much to me in a couple months, I'll go get the really sleek black finisher's medal engraved with my position and time.

Regardless, you did look pretty happy with your flower and ribbon. You don't look like the same guy who is ranting about how pathetic it is.

[edit: smiley image redacted]

BTW, try clicking on the link in ozjt23's sig before you make any assumptions about who he is.

Last edited by: geodee: Jul 15, 14 11:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What ever happened to going to a race, racing your ass off and then going home to do other things more important?

I must be (getting) old.

Medals and trinkets aren't what is important in life.....
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cotton T-Shirt? My shirt looks like cotton, but it's the Gildan performance line shirts, which are 100% polyester... (I've gotten quite a few of those at races lately, certainly not the nicest race shirts out there, but they breathe fine and are runable in)...

My thoughts on the race (I raced the Du), overall quite well run. Some issues on Saturday at the briefing/expo, where there were some miscommunications from volunteers, but I was able to quickly clear them up by talking to a supervisor, so no real issues. Not sure the point of the "mandatory briefings", all the info is in the athlete guide/website, just video it and put it on the website... I assume that they are there as an insurance requirement for riding on the DVP/Gardiner, no biggie, although they should have added info about the run in for the Du, since it was neither on the web nor in the briefing, had to get that clarified by talking to one of the t-zone officials on race morning).

I thought the set-up was good, great security for the T-zone, but never felt like a hassle to get in, it was a nice touch to have a separate t-zone inside the t-zone for the Du with it's own flow through (probably there since it was the national championships race, so they needed to have an ITU style flow through, so that everyone covered the same distances with their bikes). The course was good, a few rough patches (lots of lost waterbottles, innertubes, etc. that had bounced loose from bikes strewn on the course), didn't see too much drafting out there (had a few people blocking, but it was never much of an issue, since you were never far from the next roller, and could pass them and drop them as soon as the road turned up...). It was neat to get to ride on the highways, sucks a bit for spectators, who can't get out there to watch, but it was mostly decent surface, and lots of rollers to keep you awake. The Du start was delayed due to course issues (i.e. the lane closed on lakeshore hadn't been piloned off far enough to get to where we entered it to protect us from traffic), it amounted to a 20min delay, which wasn't optimal for warm-ups but did allow us to stay covered in the tent during the major dumps of rain, and spare us from a thorough soaking in the first few kms of the race...

The volunteers were great (at least racers could stay warm by moving, the volunteers got stuck standing there in the downpours...) and there were plenty of officials on course (and I've never seen so many first aid crew members at a race on bikes during the bike leg in my life...).

As for after the finish. Maybe it's just in reference to the options in the national capital region, but I'll take a free beer, free burger, and multiple free coffees plus the usual fare over stale bagels and nearly expired yogurts... (I didn't end up getting a burger, because I waited too long and by the time I went to stand in line, the skies opened up, so I opted to pass).
As for the awards, who cares that the flowers were cheap, it was a nice touch (never had podium flowers at a race before), and good for some brownie points when I gave it to the wife back at the car, after her having to stand around in the rain to cheer me on for hours... I can't comment on the ribbons, I've heard they were pretty grade school cross-country like (at least they were nostalgic), since the Du was Nationals, we actually got quite nice tri can medals. That said I've never done races for the niceness of the medals/ribbons (although nice ones are a bonus, most end up in a box in storage, save for a few nice plaques, sentimental medals, and a few that are cool statues), I pay for the race, and then if i get nice swag, great.

I enjoyed the event, and would consider racing it again if it worked out in my calendar. It was a bit pricey, but that's to be expected when it's a downtown race in a major centre, requiring the closure of major roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [geodee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! You win the #1 internet sleuth award for the day. You are also in luck because I just happen to have a couple #1 award ribbons available. Feel free to stop by anytime to claim your prize.

Since you like posting things about me online and I don't have a blog, please thank my coach because he has been doing an outstanding job!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please someone explain the scenery appeal of races to me? This was my 10th race and I have to say I have never been looking at any scenery. I have been starring at the road in front of me and focussing on going hard in the race. Am I doing it wrong?

Maybe, maybe not. It's up to you.

My wife raced in the Olympic and finished 3rd among the women. - she LOVED the course. Said the scenery was amazing. That what was really special for her. FWIW - She loved the flowers - still in vase on the dining room table. No other race that I am aware gives out flowers. It's a nice touch - but I get it that things like this are personal. If personal hardware is really important to you, and that's an important part of the take-away for you in terms of how you rate an event, then may I suggest, with respect, you seek out races that do that.

That's the thing - there is great selection in races. That all offer different things. Pick the races that meet your key criteria.

Some were complaining about the paid parking. Everyone paid - management, staff, vendors, volunteers and athletes all paid. It's the reality of life in the downtown area of very large cities. If free parking is your thing, and is a really critical feature for you at a triathlon, there are all kinds of other races that have free parking. Choose them!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jul 15, 14 10:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geodee wrote:
BTW, try clicking on the link in ozjt23's sig before you make any assumptions about who he is.

ohhh, snap.
This reminds me a little bit of the oldie but goodie: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=2807753#2807753

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! lrcanuck - there are a lot of people on here that are legit fast (looking at some of your finishing times I can see that you're decent but definitely not fast). You might want to remember that before you come on here and start chirping people after winning some local sprint race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I apologize for making this personal—I have removed the image.

It didn't exactly take a degree in forensics to go through my camera roll and post an image of us receiving our age group awards though. Perhaps if you're going to behave this way in a public forum in the future you may want to use a pseudonym and/or obscure some of the details.

Quote | Reply
Just as I said this may be the last time I do this race. Is is great that we have so many race options around here, with even a couple others taking place on the same day.

I wouldn't have even have done this race this year if it was not for the fact that I feel I was misled by TTF. They previously announce they will be the National Championship site for 2013 and 2014. Then they open open registration and provide a discount code for anyone that has previously raced here. The discount code is time sensitive and very shortly after the code expires Triathlon Canada announces that the 2014 National Championships are being held in Magog. A coincidence? Possibly but I highly doubt it. I really think this was just a ploy to increase registration and I know numerous other people feel the same way. I know a number of people who registered and just decided not to race because they did want the expense of travelling back to back weekends since Nationals is the following weekend. This is probably the main reason I am not happy with TTF and may not do it again next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [crazy_does] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You clearly don't know me or anything about me. I have never once said I was fast or even good at this sport or anything else for that matter.

I know exactly what I am and that there are numerous people just in my club that are significantly faster than I am. Clearly they chose not to race here because they were racing elsewhere or had another reason not to do so. So because I won a race that thousands of people that could beat me chose not to do does not make me special and never did I say I was something special. I agreed with the opinion of another poster and voiced my opinion about what I experienced at this race.

I love anonymous people that make up shit and post it on the internet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I appreciate that.

I don't hide behind the internet, my name is attached to my profile.

I voiced my opinion of what I experienced. If you don't like it that is completely valid and you have that right.

Best of luck in the future!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Front door brag here but I won the sprint race
you said you were pretty fast/good right here....

Anyways, further to your point on how pathetic the ribbons are:
If it is such a big deal for you, write to management. I am sure they will be responsive and explain their choice.

As Fleck stated before in his post, TTF is very unique and still relatively new. They still have some things to fix but it has drastically improved from the first year.

For me..i was supposed to race this weekend but crashed out during a long ride during the prior weekend. I was missing a bunch of skin and was not able to heal fast enough to race this weekend. Just be thankful that you were able to race, kept it rubber side down, and had a great result.That is what we all want.

Anything after that is extra.

Ryan

Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [ryanmalf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, not what I said, you are reading into it.

Just because I won a race it does not make me fast or good, it just means all the people better than me didn't enter the race.

Crashes and injuries suck! I hope you recover quickly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race happy my friend!
Thanks for the kind words

Ryan

Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the best moments of the recent Toronto Triathlon Festival was when Simon Whitfield came across the finish-line after helping guide one of the blind Para-Triathletes from the Won-With-One group around the run course.

Photo - Bob Hatcher for mysportshooter.com

Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x 2. I am biased because I live a 10 minute (or so) walk away. But this is one of my favourite weekends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geodee wrote:
lrcanuck wrote:
Please someone explain the scenery appeal of races to me? This was my 10th race and I have to say I have never been looking at any scenery. I have been starring at the road in front of me and focussing on going hard in the race. Am I doing it wrong? The only real appeal of this race is that I live a couple minutes away.

At the risk of feeding the shark, I'm going to give this a shot.

If you talk to some of the other people who are racing with, you might learn that not everyone shares the same goals as you. There are as many reasons to participate in a triathlon as there are people—especially in such a high-profile event as this. If you look a little further back from the top-10, you'll find first-timers, newbies, friends, wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, co-workers, friends—all of whom have a different reason for why they're doing this race. I can assure you that none of them give a shit about who won it.

Part of the appeal is being able to do a race downtown in the biggest city in Canada, where you can enjoy the most scenic route into the core. A lot of us take that for granted, as we're either driving at 100 km/h down it or stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic. It might be novel to ride this highway on a bike, but it's a pretty fun one, and it hasn't worn off on me yet. We get to do this while participating at an event done at this scale, all while being able to have our family and friends all be there to support us. That means something to a lot of people. But that's not all of it.

Did you hear about the man who died and was rescued and brought back to life at the event last year? His only goal was to participate in a triathlon. Do you think if he made it to the bike he'd be concentrating on "starring [sic] at the road in front" and "focussing on the race"? How about the older woman who was just getting into T2, long after most competitors finished the race and walked back to transition? The one who I had to help pick up the bikes she knocked over as she struggled to lift her bike back onto the rack. Or my pregnant friend who wanted to use this race to have one last triathlon before she's due. Do you think they have the same motivation to compete in this race as you?

These people's goals are just as important to them as yours is to you. If being in an environment that caters to these types of people bothers you, that's okay. You've already identified that this event is not for you, and there are other races that will suit you just fine. You mentioned the Subaru series, which is great because I'm sure you already know their races attract the most competitive people in the area. Maybe concentrate on Chicago next year for the ITU Worlds. You'll find lots of company there.

That said, I agree that the ribbons were a bit cheesy. After finally successfully placing after five years of trying, it was slightly disappointing to go home with an old-school ribbon and a flower. Not the end of the world by any means, and it didn't ruin any of the enjoyment for me. If it means that much to me in a couple months, I'll go get the really sleek black finisher's medal engraved with my position and time.

Regardless, you did look pretty happy with your flower and ribbon. You don't look like the same guy who is ranting about how pathetic it is.

[edit: smiley image redacted]

Done rambling ?
Where did he say other peoples goals weren't as important?
yes the majority of people are probably racing these things on a participatory level and that's fine but some guys train hard and like to race and challenge themselves against the clock and other fast guys
The guy won the race - regardless of the distance and I agree with his complaints
And who gives a rats ass who ozjt is. What's he have to do with this?

Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:

Done rambling ?
yes the majority of people are probably racing these things on a participatory level and that's fine but some guys train hard and like to race and challenge themselves against the clock and other fast guys
The guy won the race - regardless of the distance and I agree with his complaints

I'm no one. Just the guy that was riding too slow on his bike an nearly caused lrcanuck to crash. Seeing as this topic was done last week I would say everyone else was done rambling.

That only leaves you.

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [ozjt23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ozjt23 wrote:
shady wrote:

Done rambling ?

I'm no one. Just the guy that was riding too slow on his bike an nearly caused lrcanuck to crash. Seeing as this topic was done last week I would say everyone else was done rambling.

That only leaves you.

Hey bro, apologies for being on holiday and off the twitch last week. Next time I'll make sure I run my holidays by you but as this thread was still on the first page today I thought I'd jump on in. Coolio? :)

Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was amazing to see this group participate in the event. I hadn't given any thought to it until last January, when I met someone at a bar who asked me to be his guide. Unfortunately he wasn't able to find a tandem bike for the race. I'm not sure if he knew about this group, so I'll let him know in case he's still interested next year.

Quote | Reply
It was amazing to see this group participate in the event. I hadn't given any thought to it until last January, when I met someone at a bar who asked me to be his guide. Unfortunately he wasn't able to find a tandem bike for the race. I'm not sure if he knew about this group, so I'll let him know in case he's still interested next year.

George,

Being a guide is awesome. I hope you will push on with that.

See more on Won-With-One here - http://www.wonwithone.com/

They are always looking for people/athletes to help out.

Last edited by: Fleck: Jul 24, 14 9:33
Quote Reply

Prev Next