Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal
Quote | Reply
Kind of funny to see what Wall Street thinks of triathlon. This is from today's WSJ. I like the reference to the $10,000 "Serrato" bike! I guess the copy editor is not a cyclist.

The Wall Street Journal

August 26, 2005

From Ironman to Everyman
Short Courses, Easier Activities
Lead to Boom in Triathletes;
Swimming With a Noodle

By KATHERINE ROSMAN
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
August 26, 2005; Page W1

When Brian Ingle crossed the finish line of the Cayuga Lake Triathlon in upstate New York earlier this month, he was sweaty and tired, but proud. The 38-year-old actuary had finished seventh in his division with a time of two hours, 42 minutes.

But unlike most triathletes, Mr. Ingle didn't need a week to recover. Not only were the distances in this race a fraction of those in "Ironman" competitions, he had help: His wife, Juliet, completed the one-mile swim while a friend tackled the 25-mile bike ride. All Mr. Ingle had to do was run six miles and join his teammates at a celebratory cookout to drink beer, smoke cigars and grill steaks. "We're going to change the image of the triathlete," he says.

Hold on to your stopwatches, fitness fans: The mighty triathlon, that macho emblem of athletic sadomasochism, is going soft. While grueling events like the legendary Ironman continue to grab most of the attention, the sport has quietly been expanding at the lower levels. The number of shorter "sprint" triathlons sanctioned by a national governing body has tripled in five years to 818.

The fastest growing forms of triathlon are those where the requirements are a bit lax: There are triathlons for kids, relay triathlons completed by teams of two or three, "Clydesdale" divisions for men who weigh more than 200 pounds, and events that allow contestants to run less than two miles or swim with the aid of a Styrofoam noodle. New this summer: divisions that dispense with running in favor of power-walking. "Just because you've had a knee replacement doesn't mean you can't get out there and compete," says Gary Morgan, a triathlon organizer from Cincinnati.

While there's no telling whether the triathlon boom is a sustainable shift or just the latest fitness fad, observers say one reason for the growth is something you won't get from Pilates or kickboxing -- instant jock credentials. Years ago, being a "scratch golfer" was a bragging right for upwardly mobile executives and later, "marathoner" became popular. But these days, according to Dennis C. Carey, a partner at the executive-recruitment firm Spencer Stuart, "triathlete" is all the rage. A triathlete himself, Mr. Carey estimates the term is showing up on résumés two or three times as often as it did five years ago.

Career enhancement isn't the only fringe benefit. To most people, the word "triathlon" conjures images of an Ironman slog with a 2.4-mile swim and a 112-mile bike ride followed by a full 26.2-mile marathon. For sprint triathletes, this misconception isn't always inconvenient. "Sometimes you don't bother to correct them," says Mackenzie Cook, a recent college graduate who got his start in sprints. "Especially if you're talking to a cutie."

While some triathletes may not be the physical specimens you'd expect, they do have one thing in plentiful quantities: money. According to Mediamark Research Inc., the average household income of subscribers to "Triathlete" magazine is $155,000, which is more than triple the national average. To reach this demographic, sporting-goods companies have come up with a barrage of outlandish toys: For nearly $20,000, aspiring triathletes can buy a current-producing pool that allows them to swim in place. There's a $140 training watch with GPS and an underwater MP3 player.

Triathlon Toys

In preparation for his first sprint triathlon this spring, Wes Edens, 43, the chairman and chief executive of a private-equity and hedge fund, is leaving nothing to chance. He's bought a $10,000 Seratto bike, which he took to a specialized fitter who adjusted the seat, handlebars and pedals for about $300. After Labor Day, he'll begin twice-weekly training sessions with a former Olympian who charges $125 an hour. And he recently dropped $1,500 for a virtual-reality cycling software program called "CompuTrainer" that uses 3-D simulations of hills and turns to help riders improve their pedaling efficiency. "That's all the toys I've gotten," he says. "So far."

For those who do graduate to the elite levels of triathletes, it may only get pricier: Louis Licari, 54, a celebrity hairstylist who owns salons in New York and Beverly Hills, Calif., has competed in two Ironman competitions in six years and spends at least $50,000 for training, physical therapy, travel expenses and gear. "Some years it can be $75,000," he says.

The triathlon dates back to the mid-1970s, when distance runners in San Diego invented it as a training exercise. The first Ironman event took place in Kona, Hawaii, in 1978, and the triathlon debuted as an Olympic sport in 2000. But thanks to the growth of shorter events, it's reached a new peak of popularity. Last year, governing body USA Triathlon sanctioned 1,192 adult events -- 2˝ times the level of five years ago -- and the number of entry passes sold to nonmembers entering its sanctioned races has jumped 26% in three years to 175,000.

Fleet of Rescuers

Danskin, the sportswear company, has seen participation in its annual women's triathlons rise by 69% since 2000, with some 22,000 women participating. Danskin's events, which have a half-mile swim, 12-mile bike ride and three-mile run, put a strong emphasis on fitness (and finishing). In the swim portion, athletes are allowed to float on Styrofoam noodles and are protected by a fleet of rescuers in boats who hover nearby to pluck stragglers from the brine. One Danskin participant, financial manager Elizabeth Konkle, described them as "cute boys in kayaks."

To further protect the self-esteem of its entrants, Danskin sends spokeswoman Sally Edwards to compete in every race with the express purpose of finishing last. "I do it so no other woman has to," she says.

Sponsors, organizers and racers alike say that the simplification of triathlons may not be such a bad thing at a time when so many Americans are overweight. Lee Silverman, the owner of JackRabbit, a New York triathlon store, says most of his clients who enter sprint races are primarily looking to get healthier and lose weight. "People will tell you, 'I'm doing this so I can eat a bagel and not feel guilty about it,' " he says.

Earlier this month, when one Manhattan triathlon shop launched an essay contest where the grand prize is a year's worth of triathlon training, 40 people applied in 10 days. The only hitch: The winner has to be a man who weighs more than 220 pounds or a woman who weighs more than 190.

These sprint races have opened up the sport to people who might otherwise have never tried it. Mark Cancian, a 54-year-old Pentagon analyst from Virginia, wanted to find something to do with his athletic teenage boys that wasn't too strenuous for him. The solution: sprint triathlons, or last weekend, a "supersprint" consisting of eight laps in a pool, eight miles on a bike and a 1.8-mile run. "I have three goals," Mr. Cancian says. "Not to drop dead, to finish, and to not come in last."

This June near Cincinnati, Heather Gilliam, a 34-year-old mother of two, entered her first event in which she canoed six miles down a stream with a partner, biked 18 miles and then power-walked 5˝ more. The last stretch of the walk nearly did her in, she says. "It was straight up 'Killer Hill.' "

Even some elite triathlons are adopting shorter formats. The Olympic race can be completed in under two hours (Ironman events take a minimum of 8˝) and the World Triathlon Corporation, overseers of the original Ironman, have introduced a new championship on a course that covers half the Ironman distance.

If there's a downside to all this, it's that some people, emboldened by shorter courses, will push themselves beyond their capabilities. "The danger is that some people think that if they can do the rinky-dink races, they can just go out and do an Ironman," says Mike Gostigian, a former Olympian and current triathlon trainer. (USA Triathlon requires all participants to buy insurance.)

But for the time being, freshly minted triathletes like Michael Kotlikoff, a 54-year-old physiology professor, don't seem too concerned about what exactly constitutes a triathlete. Moments after registering for a sprint relay at the Cayuga Lake Triathlon, he admitted that he hadn't trained much. But even if he doesn't finish, he added, he'll nonetheless have something in common with the most elite athletes in the field. "You still get the T-shirt," he said.

Once an ultra-niche market, the triathlon industry has expanded considerably in the last few years. Here's a rundown of notable training products recommended by store owners and veteran triathletes.
BRAND/SPORT/PRICE UNIQUE FEATURE COMMENTS
Polar S625X heart monitor
$370 Monitors a runner's speed and distance with the help of a lightweight foot pod. Gear records heart rate and calorie output, and stores historical performance data, all of which can be downloaded onto a computer with an optional infrared device.
Shimano 'TR-02' shoes
$160 Soles made of carbon fibers, which are lighter and stiffer than traditional plastic. Designed for triathlete bikers, shoes have oversized straps on the heel and upper, which help speed transition between swimming and biking. Designed to be worn without socks, shoe's insoles are ventilated and antimicrobial.
Hed Carbon Aerobars with 'S-Bend'
$500 Uniquely shaped handlebars add leverage and comfort while biking in "aero" position. Favored by Lance Armstrong, they've become a popular accessory for triathletes. Budget-minded racers can buy the alloy extensions, rather than the more expensive carbon.
Quintana Roo 'Ultrafull' wetsuit
$165 to $500 Slick coating on the outside cuts down on drag during swimming events. Breakaway zippers and "V-cut" above the ankles makes it easier to take off quickly. Company's most expensive suits are especially thin to maximize flexibility.
Endless Pools current-generating pool
from $18,900 Slightly larger than a hot tub, this swim treadmill creates a constant, adjustable current. Expensive, but company says sales increased 30% last year. Allows triathlon swimmers to train at home while simulating various open-water conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the average household income of subscribers to "Triathlete" magazine is $155,000,
AHAHAHAHA! I'm obviously not included in this demographic.

====================================

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [noob411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What struck me was:

To further protect the self-esteem of its entrants, Danskin sends spokeswoman Sally Edwards to compete in every race with the express purpose of finishing last. "I do it so no other woman has to," she says.

That is awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't imagine how anybody could spend $75,000 to do two IM's.

Triathlon is definately only a "participation" sport for many people, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It gets couch potatoes active, fuels the market for tri gear and forms a larger fan base for the pros.

I just wonder when the bubble will burst and tri falls out of fashion with the trendies. We saw that happen with scuba diving after the 1980's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[snip] $50,000 for training, physical therapy, travel expenses and gear. "Some years it can be $75,000" [/snip]

Raise your hand if you spend this much every year on triathlon. If your hand is up, then you might as well pay somebody to race for you too.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting TriMike! This article is great, jammed with funny quotes.

"You still get the T-shirt"
"Sometimes you don't bother to correct them... Especially if you're talking to a cutie."

I love it. hehe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I especially liked the cagar smoking guy who does the relay then calls himself a triathlete. Doesn't "tri" mean three? Too funny! Regardless of the silliness of it all I guess publicity is good for the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anybody else feel that this article is aimed to cut down Triathletes? I mean it has it all, highlighting that some events are "easy" and don't need to be trained for, pointing out post race parties, implying that we all have too much money and spend it frivilously, and saying that those that are good at the sport - ie pros - can justify the money but must be masocistic.

personally I liked being viewed as crazy and masocistic, rather than overly rich, indulgent, and in need of self esteem.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite quote: "The mighty triathlon, that macho emblem of athletic sadomasochism . . . ."

This article is very strange. On the one hand, she portrays the sport as so expensive that most would be priced right out of the market (which is completely absurd). On the other hand, she mocks the sport as something that any Joe off the street with little or no prep could do (swim with a noodle; run a relay and smoke a cigar afterwards). Then, the quotes from Spencer Stuart, as if triathlon is some kind of resume padder. The tone of this article belittles the sport and I don't like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's it!! I'm going in and demanding a raise......

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gee wizz, I'd love to make that much... perhaps if I get a subscription it'll lead an increase in my household income. Or perhaps I shouldn't... might screw up the demographic.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the reverse demographic - I may OWE that much by the time I am done with graduate school!

====================================

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even a a so-called easy triathlon (ie. sprint) usually takes at least an hour. Most people couldn't exercise for an hour straight if their lives depended on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [trinitythlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spent that much..wft...raise your hand if you made that much in the last year (raises his hand...slowly...well...almost..before taxes). Something slightly off with that article m'thinks. Obviously with that much money going around we need guys like that to join ST and help out a little more in the TSR department. I could go for a second hand Seratto when he heads out to buy the latest carbon doo dad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL.

I always say "Too much money, too few brains". Oh well.. chumps like these that keep my LBS in business.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who else has a Serrato?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [RocketDogEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thought someone posted a pic of John Kerry riding one before election time...otherwise..dunno..maybe only pros at that price
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, i just meant that last time I checked, I thought it was SerottA. I love when people write articles about things they have very little firsthand knowledge about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
figured that..shoulda added a ;-) in there to acknowledge it...gotta love a tabloid of that stature that misses something that big in terms of spelling. Hope Kerry reads it and corrects them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HAHA, that's great, then I guess that means if it's in the WSJ, then Kerry will have to paint over the A and replace it with an O. He's got to appease the public, just like he is a hunter!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has the wall street journal done away with fact checking like the NY Times? Is "believable fiction" the new trend in journalism?

And are there really races with the water noodles? I've never heard of that.

Let's see... It seems to me that is says,

1. Sprints are easy
2. IMs are stupid
3. You have to be rich
4. You don't need to exercise
5. More people are getting into the sport
6. You can't do a sprint if you don't have a $10000 bike.

Did that guy really buy a $10000 serrotta to do a sprint relay? That seems extreme. I'm a grad student. I barely make 10K per year. Silly stuff. Resume padding? My ass.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he would have purchased a $10,000 custom "Serotta", he would not have had to spend $300 on a bike fitting.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same - I think it is great that it is popular. I'm from Cincy where the Morgan's triathlon is from (Canoe 6, run 6, bike 18): they do it twice a year (Spring and Fall) and have about 1,000 people every time. Hey, it gets people out and doing it. It is actually fun to do if I have time and zoom by all the walkers and people on Mountain bikes. Big party afterwards. I'm sure some get bit by the "triathlon bug" like we all did and move along from there.

Quote | Reply
So when I puke at the end of a sprint its because the race was easy? I'm happy to see our sport get coverage but this was poorly put together.

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the writer of this article nailed it down almost perfect. The truth is that a very high percentage of 'triathletes' are probably borderline athletes looking to boost their resume. Commence flaming.
Quote Reply

Prev Next