Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2011 Specialized Transition Comp
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what a good price for this bike is? I'm looking for my first real tri bike and am trying to work with in a budget.....kinda.
Also I ran across a review that said this bike was sluggish and was poor for climbing. My question is can this be fixed by simply changing out the cassette?
Any other input would be great.
Last edited by: QUswimming: Jun 15, 14 20:48
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Specialized Transition Comp [QUswimming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently got this bike and I've been quite happy for what I paid. In my first race I averaged 27mph over 10 miles on just 288 watts and im 6'2 so the thing is quite fast. Also I havent had any trouble going up the local hills on it, I just cant shift like im used to when climbing, but thats going to be the case on any tt bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great bike at a great value. I've been riding one for the last 2 years and have enjoyed it. While I'm not the athlete that wins any races, I'm usually in the top 10-20% of my age group.

What size are you? Last time I was at my local bike shop, they had a bargain on a new one, size large. Pm me and I can get you in touch with them.
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Specialized Transition Comp [buck_shot11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own one and love it. Your going to have to add some water bottle cases though.

I just did a 85mi ride averaging 20mph solo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one new in 2011 (Red and White SRAM version). New out of the box it cost about $2400 if I remember correctly. Used 3 years later? Probably half of the that or maybe a little more. Depends on the history and condition

I'm not sure what a "sluggish bike" and "poor for cllimbing" means in your context. It is a TT bike and handles like one. It shifts fine and is stable. It comes stock with a 53/39 and 12-27, which might make it climb poorly for some people, but that has to do with the gear ratio and the rider, not the bike itself. You can put a compact on the front with no problem if that is what you need.

I didn't like the front end and ended up replacing it with Specialized Aluminum ski bar set. Much easier on my wrists and forearms. I also replaced the white bar tape with red - White starts looking pretty bad quickly.

Put a set of red and white Flo's on it and you have a looker.

BTW, the stock saddle pretty much sucks in my opinion, but then Specialized probably assumed I'd replace it anyway. I have a Sitero on now and ...

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a 2011 model. Nice, fast bike. I think I sold mine for around $1500.00 when I bought my 2013 Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the help! I would be getting one (just the bike) for right at $1000 used. I think that I wouldn't have a problem with the bike but then again I am not very experienced when it comes to tri bikes. Also, I meant to add that I am 5'10" and the bike is a large.
Last edited by: QUCharlotteSwim: Jun 16, 14 6:17
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Specialized Transition Comp [QUCharlotteSwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QUCharlotteSwim wrote:
Thanks for all the help! I would be getting one (just the bike) for right at $1000 used. I think that I wouldn't have a problem with the bike but then again I am not very experienced when it comes to tri bikes. Also, I meant to add that I am 5'10" and the bike is a large.
I have a 2010 Specialized Transition Comp, Large, and 2 different fitters told me I was a bit too tall for it at 6'. :( They said they could make it work but I'd need new seat post and stem. No thanks... bike is for sale now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely love mine.

Bike feels extremely fast and comfortable. I just did a 2:24 half iron if that means anything to you though it shouldn't! The brakes are annoying to adjust (rear) but you get used to it.

Personally, I think $1000 for this bike is one of the best values out there.
Last edited by: vancity: Jul 15, 14 4:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2008 Comp and would expect to get less than $1000 for it. Something to consider budget wise is that very few people have been able to get a disc cover to work unless the wheel is already pretty deep. Mine is not even close to clearing, even on a 404. Another thing to consider is that some of the parts are Specialized/Transition only and can be hard to come by if something breaks. While I have enjoyed mine, I wouldn't buy another, especially considering how many bikes with similar geometry have come on the market in recent years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2011 Comp and the only complaints I have are that the rear brake is a pain to work with and the front shifting with the Rival front derailleur (too flexy) isn't the best, but that is hardly the frame's fault. The Transition is on the heavy side for tri bikes, so I bet that is what the reviewer was referring to by saying it was sluggish and bad for climbing.
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Specialized Transition Comp [QUCharlotteSwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on your physiology but 5'10 is pretty borderline for a size large. Presumably the bike comes with the setback seat post, the zero setback posts have always been rare, so you will need to be careful about your front end setup to ensure the reach isn't too long. There are a few parts specific to the transition I would check before determining a price. 1) There are two little wing fairings protruding from the down tube which are easily damaged by turning the handle bars too far during transit. As these fairing are non-structural damage here isn't a massive deal (and is in fact nearly universal on well used Transitions) but care needs to be taken any damage doesn't extend into the head/down tube. 2) To protect against damage to the fairing there should be two little rubber bits on the fork behind the front brake. These things are notorious for coming unglued and to my knowledge can't be replaced. Again not a game changer if there missing but another indicator of overall bike wear. 3) The front and rear brakes have two black plastic fiddly bolt protector things which are again commonly lost. I doubt they make a big aero difference but do make a significant cosmetic difference on the front brake.
My $0.02 is bike missing brake bits and with damaged fins has probably seen a bit to much action to justify the $1000 price tag as you will probably certainly have to splash out on a new seat post (they aren't adjustable) but its a fair price for a bike in good condition.
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Specialized Transition Comp [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got an opportuity to pick up the specialized transition comp rirght now. It's a 2011 with an upgraded Dura Ace derailer and the rest is 105 I can buy it for $1,100. However I'd need to pay $200 for a bike fit.
Option 2: I can buy a new felt B16 for $1,599 (105 groupset)including a bike fit.
or the B14 for $1,799 including a bike fit (Rival groupset)
thoughts?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply