Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlete Bloggers, Why?
Quote | Reply
Is there anything more narcissistic then talking about yourself. I especially enjoy the blogs who talk about themselves in the 3rd person. As if ANYONE really cares or reads about you unless you made it to the Olympic games, won an Ironman or hold some athletic world record. I get blogs that raise awareness and help people and blogs that are a profitable business but 99% of them are narcissistic douchebags with nothing to say except use up bandwidth.

I personally want to throw up when I start reading those "Race Reports". As if ANYONE who is not completely bored out of their mind would subject themselves to such mundane and boring as hell reports on what you ate and drank during your event. Nor do we care when you woke up, when you took a dump, etc. Seriously now, nobody cares and you make yourself look like a total dork and extremely narcissitic for no really reason whatsoever.

So if you are one of those bloggers who brag about your athletic accomplishments on a blog, unless you won an Ironman, made it to the Olympics or hold a world record, I feel sorry for you and your girlfriend/boyfriend or spouse that has to live with you. You need to Stop the blog, seek professional help, instead of blogging spend more time with your family, training or working. This is much more productive mentally for you and makes my eyes bleed less not to see any blogging from you.

This forum is a breeding ground for these narcissistic bloggers too. Imagine if everyone had a blog bragging about themselves. It would all be white noise. Stop please...
Last edited by: trihard4me: Jun 6, 14 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Bloggers, Why? [trihard4me] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So..... To sum up your rant: "I can't stand all these blogs and race reports that I choose to voluntarily open and read. Makes me so MAD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't read any triathlete blogs except when someone happens to link to some pros blog and the topic interests me. I do however enjoy about 80% of the race reports that I read on ST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kinda like filling up the internet with posts about what you don't like. Because it's all about you. Speaking of narcissism.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find the stories of the age groupers more interesting than the pro's, but that's me. I like reading blogs or race reports on this forum every now and then. Especially if I am considering doing the race myself.

I don't blog myself do.
Last edited by: TriHost: Jun 6, 14 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
Is there anything more narcissistic then talking about yourself

I personally want to throw up when I start reading those "Race Reports".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The troll is strong with this one.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Bloggers, Why? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The irony in this thread is strong!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An anti-narcissism post from trihard4me.

That's priceless.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Bloggers, Why? [TriHost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriHost wrote:
I find the stories of the age groupers more interesting that the pro's, but that's me. I like reading blogs or race reports on this forum every now and then. Especially if I am considering doing the race myself.

I don't blog myself do.

Talking about yourself or a race report on this forum or any forum is okay, people interact with it, enjoy reading about it. Plus, it's short lived on a forum, like one day then it disappears into history. That is perfectly okay, as long as you don't talk too much about what you ate the night before and your bowel movements. But, blogging is 24/7 out there on the internet for the ENTIRE world to see not just Slowtwitchers.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Bloggers, Why? [HowMuchLonger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HowMuchLonger wrote:
The irony in this thread is strong!

I am narsissistic just not that bad to blog about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to go back and read my writeups about races and training. Helps me see progress, what's improving, etc.

How fast did I do that swim 2 years ago in the race I'm doing next month? What was my NP in my last 70.3? Where did I stash that race photo of my giving the camera the finger at mile 22 of the marathon?

Also fun to post pics to just my athlete friends, rather than all of Facebook. Shit, I even made a couple friends through a blog and met up to go for a run when they were in town.

It's also a great way to compare myself with other AGers to see if I'm getting enough out of the time I put in. Apologies in advance for the link in my signature. DO NOT CLICK IT!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Bloggers, Why? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
I like to go back and read my writeups about races and training. Helps me see progress, what's improving, etc.

How fast did I do that swim 2 years ago in the race I'm doing next month? What was my NP in my last 70.3? Where did I stash that race photo of my giving the camera the finger at mile 22 of the marathon?

Also fun to post pics to just my athlete friends, rather than all of Facebook. Shit, I even made a couple friends through a blog and met up to go for a run when they were in town.

It's also a great way to compare myself with other AGers to see if I'm getting enough out of the time I put in. Apologies in advance for the link in my signature. DO NOT CLICK IT!

That's way too much to ask. He can't help it..... He apparently must read it and get butt hurt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
But, blogging is 24/7 out there on the internet for the ENTIRE world to see not just Slowtwitchers.

You're right, The Google doesn't work with slowtwitch.

linky

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1!

I write my race reports as a way to help myself (talking it out) and also to see where I went right/wrong, a kind of external internalization. I also am going back to review/preview the races for others, since prices keep going up and I take reviews from other to see if I'm about to waste my cash on a race, or how the course is laid out (course recon) if I can't pre-ride or run it.

I agree, some blogs are "me-fests", but I read about other people's experiences to help with my knowledge base. Again, YOU have the power to click that link or not, the blogs I don't like, I don't go to, but the one's I do, I'll revisit.

Simple enough!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Try Not To Puke on the Finish Line!
http://trynot2puke.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'll take the bait (probably shouldn't, but what the heck?).

I have my own blog about my accomplishments, failures, and successes as an age-group triathlete. I don't really give a damn if anyone reads it, but people do based on the available statistics. I write with humor when I can, and I don't talk about myself in the third person (I have a BA in English Literature, so I know the difference between good writing and bad).

The primary reason I started my blog was to chart my journey from an overweight non-athlete, to someone who has aspirations to reach Kona someday. Will I ever? Maybe not. Do I give a shit if you don't like it? Not really. Writing a blog is like writing a journal or memoirs, something people do to express their ideas and interests, their feelings at the time. I use my race reports to fall back on later and see how I did the previous year at an event, to see my progress.

I'm not an Olympian, I'm not an Ironman (yet?), I'm an average over-40 IT guy who's trying to get and stay healthy. I use my own experiences, via my blog and Twitter, to motivate others to get healthy and stay that way.

Am I as hardcore as most STers? Nope...I will never reach the physical prowess that some of you have. That's just a fact. But don't expect me to rush out and delete my blog or seek "professional help" for putting my own ideas, thoughts, and feelings about my racing and training out there; if I can motivate someone to get off the couch and maybe try something new, to do something they haven't done before, then I'm happy.

People who criticize others for doing something they enjoy need to evaluate their own motivations for being so negative and critical of others. As triathletes, we get plenty of criticism...does it stop us? Nope.

Exactly.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:

WOW.... you are a classic example of who I am talking about. Plus, you even put a link on this post to your blog, nice touch. I did not click on your link for fear my eyes would bleed. However, why don't you put all your results on a Excel Spreadsheet for only you to read, why subject others to what goes on in your head? Plus, don't you feel a little embarrassed or humbling to brag about yourself to the world? I can understand beating your chest among friends but to do so publicly is surprising to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You haven't posted in 6 month and then post this? That must have been a long blog post.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Bloggers, Why? [Hammerati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+2

If it's useful to us (the writer/athlete) who cares what others think? :)

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
Is there anything more narcissistic then talking about yourself. I especially enjoy the blogs who talk about themselves in the 3rd person. As if ANYONE really cares or reads about you unless you made it to the Olympic games, won an Ironman or hold some athletic world record. I get blogs that raise awareness and help people and blogs that are a profitable business but 99% of them are narcissistic douchebags with nothing to say except use up bandwidth.

I personally want to throw up when I start reading those "Race Reports". As if ANYONE who is not completely bored out of their mind would subject themselves to such mundane and boring as hell reports on what you ate and drank during your event. Nor do we care when you woke up, when you took a dump, etc. Seriously now, nobody cares and you make yourself look like a total dork and extremely narcissitic for no really reason whatsoever.

So if you are one of those bloggers who brag about your athletic accomplishments on a blog, unless you won an Ironman, made it to the Olympics or hold a world record, I feel sorry for you and your girlfriend/boyfriend or spouse that has to live with you. You need to Stop the blog, seek professional help, instead of blogging spend more time with your family, training or working. This is much more productive mentally for you and makes my eyes bleed less not to see any blogging from you.

I can't lie: I find you really amusing. But not in a "ha ha this guy is hilarious" way, it's more like a "ha ha this dude is a moron" kinda way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Bloggers, Why? [fitknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fitknight wrote:
Ok, I'll take the bait (probably shouldn't, but what the heck?).

I have my own blog about my accomplishments, failures, and successes as an age-group triathlete. I don't really give a damn if anyone reads it, but people do based on the available statistics. I write with humor when I can, and I don't talk about myself in the third person (I have a BA in English Literature, so I know the difference between good writing and bad).

The primary reason I started my blog was to chart my journey from an overweight non-athlete, to someone who has aspirations to reach Kona someday. Will I ever? Maybe not. Do I give a shit if you don't like it? Not really. Writing a blog is like writing a journal or memoirs, something people do to express their ideas and interests, their feelings at the time. I use my race reports to fall back on later and see how I did the previous year at an event, to see my progress.

I'm not an Olympian, I'm not an Ironman (yet?), I'm an average over-40 IT guy who's trying to get and stay healthy. I use my own experiences, via my blog and Twitter, to motivate others to get healthy and stay that way.

Am I as hardcore as most STers? Nope...I will never reach the physical prowess that some of you have. That's just a fact. But don't expect me to rush out and delete my blog or seek "professional help" for putting my own ideas, thoughts, and feelings about my racing and training out there; if I can motivate someone to get off the couch and maybe try something new, to do something they haven't done before, then I'm happy.

People who criticize others for doing something they enjoy need to evaluate their own motivations for being so negative and critical of others. As triathletes, we get plenty of criticism...does it stop us? Nope.

Exactly.

I think I read the first 2 sentences above and the last one. Classic blogger, too much information about nothing at all. Nobody cares about your performances or your goals except MAYBE your friends and family. However, that is sort of a stretch because most family members care less too. Only your friends listen, however, they are not REALLY listening it's just blah blah blah and they are patiently waiting for you to stop talking so THEY can say thier blah blah blah's to you. In turn, you don't listen to they say and it goes back in forth for hours. Which is perfectly fine. Just please save the world from your blogging. Our ear and eyes thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Bloggers, Why? [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meathead wrote:

I prefer to use my tongue..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your flexibility is impressive then.
Quote Reply

Prev Next