Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shiv vs P5 vs Felt IA vs BMC TM weight
Quote | Reply
Currently ride a S Works Shiv…..like the bike, like the fit, dig the hydration. However, I hear it's one of the heaviest frames out there. Considering I had a crappy bike @ Raleigh, I am now looking for every opportunity beyond the engine to improve bike performance. Is lighter better? How does the Felt IA, P5 and BMC TM compare weight wise and is it worth switching to a lighter frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv vs P5 vs Felt IA vs BMC TM weight [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50g of drag savings is about = to a pound of weight savings on a very hilly course

or 17lbs on a flat course

Just something to keep in mind. The P5 might be even heavier than the shiv.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weight of your bike had absolutely nothing to do with your performance at Raleigh. Do you mind posting your average speed? Switching to an expensive brand new frame because of your race performance is a really bad idea financially and in general

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 2, 14 15:30
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv vs P5 vs Felt IA vs BMC TM weight [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
The weight of your bike had absolutely nothing to do with your performance at Raleigh. Do you mind posting your average speed? Switching to an expensive brand new frame because of your race performance is a really bad idea financially and in general

I'm not switching bikes because of one race performance.....just curious. Too much invested in my current ride. Sorry if I worded my post poorly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were in your position and could afford to do something like you are suggesting, I would revisit whether the position you have is optimally aero. It sounds like you are comfortable, but I would venture a guess that one area you could make gains would be to make your position more aggressive. If you have the ability to acquire one of the frames you are referencing, why not see what frame allows you to be the most aero while producing the most power. Depending on your current fitness and flexibility a frame that would allow you to progressively even improve your positioning down the line would seem a good idea. I would suspect completing this process would have the potential to give you the instant gains it seems you are seeking. I wouldn't be concerned with frame weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The point is that weigh is sort of a 3rd order issue to look at. If you found a bike that was a pound lighter but exposed the brake cable a little more, it wouldn't be faster.

For triathlon purposes you should focus on aerodynamics and the hydration/storage options a bike offers first. Weight 9th.

NeverEnough wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I'm not switching bikes because of one race performance.....just curious. Too much invested in my current ride. Sorry if I worded my post poorly.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
Currently ride a S Works Shiv…..like the bike, like the fit, dig the hydration. However, I hear it's one of the heaviest frames out there.

Just completed my S-Works Shiv Build. Size Small. UCI TT version all SRAM Red and with Zipp 808's (clinchers) it's a svelte 17 pounds. And the TI pedal spindles aren't even on it yet. I wouldn't consider 17 pounds heavy at all.

Bill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you end up buying after the shiv ? I'm currently looking to switch to a better fit for me than the shiv. The BMC TM01 in a medium- long, felt DA1 in a 54 or Boardman in a M all would be possibilities.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv vs P5 vs Felt IA vs BMC TM weight [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to you but just a general note,

As others have said a small amount of weight may or may not matter when everything else is accounted for, out of curiosity I weighed my P5 when I bought it:

Frame @ 51 1663 gm
Fork uncut @ 448 gm
Arduro Base 283 gm
Seat post uncut @ 274 gm
Low aerobar attachment @ 146 gm
High V @ 204 gm
Whole Magura "system" front and back uncut hoses with pads/bolts etc 627gm.

It should not be that hard to build a P5 under 18.5lbs even with heavier race wheels and a PM, I have a stinger disk and H3 so over 2 kilos for wheels and I am just under 18 lbs.

On a P5 I would say with Dash wheels and Saddle, maybe lightning cranks and other light weight goodies we are talking about (at least) another 6k$ for maybe an extra 2-3 pounds.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv vs P5 vs Felt IA vs BMC TM weight [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weight of a bike or wheels shouldn't be much of a concern. A filled water bottle weighs a bit under 2 pounds - if you are carrying a few bottles when riding if you go from 4 to 3 or from 3 to 2 you'd make a larger difference in weight savings than switching frames and it would be far cheaper.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv vs P5 vs Felt IA vs BMC TM weight [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Weight of a bike or wheels shouldn't be much of a concern. A filled water bottle weighs a bit under 2 pounds - if you are carrying a few bottles when riding if you go from 4 to 3 or from 3 to 2 you'd make a larger difference in weight savings than switching frames and it would be far cheaper.

Agreed, that was my point. Basically you could have 2 P5's at around 18-19 pounds or one P5 at 15 pounds, for the same about 12k$….Some people have really deep wallets and would rather lose 2-3 pounds on the bike than put the fork down.

The issue of weight and how it affects time has been widely discussed on here, nothing to add. It is expensive for the benefit generally…My other point was that a stock P5 probably isn't a pig compared to others.

Hydration is an easy issue, with the use of a few zip ties and some 20$ light bottle cages you could save over a pound on your hydration setup and also probably close to 200$ on after market options, if you are careful, zero aero penalty and maybe a positive aero benefit.

Maurice
Quote Reply