Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Webb update/ US men [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
It was 25m/yd open pool, with a steep incline you had to run up in T3 (2nd swim). I don't think you can take all that much from this type of event. The dynamics of this event aren't really similar to the WTS ITU circuit. Yes the style of racing is, but with so few athletes, and very diverse swim abilities, it basically turned into 3 packs of individual efforts. Whereas on the ITU circuit, Webb will be able to hide a lot more and not have to really go "full on" for that short of time.

He looked fatigued going out on 1st run and by the end, just doing what a pro does with a solid finish.

Everyone used goggles, not sure why you wouldn't.

Well, if you are all hot and sweaty after the bike and run, then the sweat will get in your eyes with the goggles on and be worse than not wearing them. When I've done sprint triathlons with a pool swim at the end, I've never bothered with the goggles myself, just one less thing to hassle with.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: Shoemaker and '15 trials-wasn't that what most people thought going in to SD for the trials? In the field that showed up he would get top 9? I agree with you re: his move to Henderson as a coach. He seems to have found a better form. Will be interesting to see if he can maintain that into '15.

Maloy had a great year. It seems there a bunch of guys coming through on the men's side that are starting to get their legs for the top end ITU circuit. Or maybe I am looking through some rose colored American made glasses. ;)

Todd

Seen on ST: NOTSOSWUYD: None of the secrets of success work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Webb update/ US men [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At that pointy end level, an athlete would lose way more without goggles than with goggles compared to other top athletes. In the girls A final, I think all the girls wore goggles + swim cap for the 2nd swim, and on men, half wore swim caps on 2nd swim (all wore goggles). Remember there is no black line to follow in that type of pool and the turns were kinda wonky with a slant so your flip turn had to really be nailed properly.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
At that pointy end level, an athlete would lose way more without goggles than with goggles compared to other top athletes. In the girls A final, I think all the girls wore goggles + swim cap for the 2nd swim, and on men, half wore swim caps on 2nd swim (all wore goggles). Remember there is no black line to follow in that type of pool and the turns were kinda wonky with a slant so your flip turn had to really be nailed properly.

No black line??? What's up with "that kind of pool??? I have never seen a competition pool like what you are describing; I was assuming they were just swimming in a 25-m pool, each person in his/her own lane, going off the blocks in the 1st swim, with std lane ropes, black line, etc. IIRC, I have seen other "super sprint" format races where they did have the std setup.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a temporary pool put in the middle of a parking lot. Yes everyone had their own lane, as it was 10 lanes (likely an 8 lane regulation size just with each lane smaller as only one athlete in it).

This is a video of rev3 rush pool, similar to what they had at the super sprint, except they had actual lane the regular lane line dividers. Check out the pool at the 15-20s mark of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlFfs5eA5MM

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
It's a temporary pool put in the middle of a parking lot. Yes everyone had their own lane, as it was 10 lanes (likely an 8 lane regulation size just with each lane smaller as only one athlete in it).
This is a video of rev3 rush pool, similar to what they had at the super sprint, except they had actual lane the regular lane line dividers. Check out the pool at the 15-20s mark of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlFfs5eA5MM

Ah, I see, have not seen a pool with that type of slant on the end, guess that is so they can just run up the slope at the end, rather than have to pull themselves out of the pool??? Thanks for that link!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best exits out of the pool for most of them Thursday was simply to slide down the slant when they got out of the pool.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No you still have to pull yourself up from the water, the slanted walls are just a function of how the temporary pool is built. The big ramp is for getting down from that height, though.

At Rush, they made us wear the cap for the second swim. Most of us tucked the goggles into our suit after the first swim, so the smarter ones started putting on goggles and cap in the last 100m of the first run so all we had to do was ditch the run shoes and go.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
The best exits out of the pool for most of them Thursday was simply to slide down the slant when they got out of the pool.

OK, sorry to seem dense but how do you slide down the slant to get out??? It seems like the slant has to be into the water, so that the water stays in the pool??? IOW, you'd have to run up the slant, not slide down??? I'm obv missing something here:)

Quote Reply
Re: Webb update/ US men [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
No you still have to pull yourself up from the water, the slanted walls are just a function of how the temporary pool is built. The big ramp is for getting down from that height, though.

I don't follow this at all:)

At Rush, they made us wear the cap for the second swim. Most of us tucked the goggles into our suit after the first swim, so the smarter ones started putting on goggles and cap in the last 100m of the first run so all we had to do was ditch the run shoes and go.

Cool, were you wearing a Speedo, jammers, trisuit, or??? Did the goggles rub on your skin, or did you just have the straps tucked in with the eyepieces out flapping in the wind on the B and R??? Also, if you wore a one-piece skinsuit or 1-piece trisuit, how did you tuck the goggles and cap in???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So at the edge of the wall, there was this wooden platform probably 1.5' wide and then a wooden slant from the top of the "pool deck" to the ground (the wooden slant portion was probably 6 feet long). The wooden slant was carpeted and so when you pulled yourself out of the edge of the lane, you had to slide/run down the carpeted slant to the ground and then get to transition.

Oh yeah and Ian. They fixed T1/T2 issue about unfair transition rack areas, so that no matter what lane you were in, you had to go around the end of transition to get to mount line. Unlike in Rev3 Rush where you just pulled your bike straight out and went to mount line. Everyone sorta had to go around the last transition area around a cone and then to the mount line.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 16, 14 19:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
So at the edge of the wall, there was this wooden platform probably 1.5' wide and then a wooden slant from the top of the "pool deck" to the ground (the wooden slant portion was probably 6 feet long). The wooden slant was carpeted and so when you pulled yourself out of the edge of the lane, you had to slide/run down the carpeted slant to the ground and then get to transition.

AHHH, now I see, so there was a slant on BOTH sides, now it makes sense. Thanks for this detailed explanation:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the life of me I wish we could just paste a pic, because I have no clue how to post pictures, but I have a picture of what it looks like.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
For the life of me I wish we could just paste a pic, because I have no clue how to post pictures, but I have a picture of what it looks like.

Actually, after reading over all of your posts and iank's posts, I think I see that the "big slant" is just on the outside of the pool, and that perhaps the interior walls of the pool had a slight slant that, together with no black line, made the flip turns tricky. Am I getting closer:)???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes that's exactly it.

As far as tucking one's goggles/cap, not sure what some guys did with cap, but a few just put goggles around the neck. I just tucked both onto the shoulder strap of my tri suit, and it didn't bother me at all

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Webb update/ US men [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
Yes that's exactly it. As far as tucking one's goggles/cap, not sure what some guys did with cap, but a few just put goggles around the neck. I just tucked both onto the shoulder strap of my tri suit, and it didn't bother me at all

Ah good, I finally see!!! Ya, I've run with goggles around my neck many times w/o issue. Had not thought of using the shoulder strap of the trisuit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alan Webb is still scheduled to do this first ever Olympic distance triathlon on Sunday, at Alanya in Turkey.

It is a stacked field (this is the start list: http://www.triathlon.org/...lon_world_cup/265203) but the quality is among the swim/bikers rather than runners. So it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

He also says he will be competing in South Korea in mid October at Tongyeong but for some reason, he is not on the current start list.
Quote Reply
Re: Webb update/ US men [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decent field, but wish there were a few more Americans there to see how he stacks up against them.
Quote Reply
Re: Webb update/ US men [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the fight from the Americans was getting into Cozumel, which is the following week of this race. Which Ben Kanute is racing in Turkey and Mexico in back to back weeks. That's not going to be fun travels.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This should really show where he's at. Is it an ocean swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched him first hand at the super sprint in Vegas 2 weeks ago. He looked flat in the finals, but that's also an race format where you cant hide. His swim was poor and he just never got back into the race. If he can find the 2nd pack and it merges with the front pack, I can easily see him jumping 10-15 overall, which is all he really needs. 2 top 15 places will move him into the top 180 on points (higher finishes obviously will do more). That's going to get him close to any other WC start list. He still needs some work on the bike skills, which I think is still leaving him pretty tired for the run. He's doing pretty well for where he is right now.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply

Prev Next