Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tririg Omega in the rain.............
Quote | Reply
What are folks doing to keep these things fully functional when out in the rain? I have mine on my road bike and might just take it off and put the ultegra back on. Seems every tim ei get caught in the rain, the thing gunks up to the point that the brake does not fully release when used. ie the pads stay right next to rim instead of moving away such that there might be a bit a brake rub and there is definitely annoying brake lever chatter as the cable is not allowing the brake lever to return with normal tension in it. Been in the rain twice and this has happened both times which results in my taking cover off and cleaning parts and regreasing once I get home. Don't need the brake rub in a race or the chattering. What is the solution? I have the original omega, not the latter version with a small part change after the initial run.
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega in the rain............. [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
What are folks doing to keep these things fully functional when out in the rain? I have mine on my road bike and might just take it off and put the ultegra back on. Seems every tim ei get caught in the rain, the thing gunks up to the point that the brake does not fully release when used. ie the pads stay right next to rim instead of moving away such that there might be a bit a brake rub and there is definitely annoying brake lever chatter as the cable is not allowing the brake lever to return with normal tension in it. Been in the rain twice and this has happened both times which results in my taking cover off and cleaning parts and regreasing once I get home. Don't need the brake rub in a race or the chattering. What is the solution? I have the original omega, not the latter version with a small part change after the initial run.

Ultregra is proven...brakes are for stopping reliably. Being aero is a secondary attribute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The newer version is better about this but still requires periodic cleaning. I wouldn't use the omega on an every day road bike for that reason.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega in the rain............. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
especially on high speed descent RRs :(

guess I might have to unload them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
especially on high speed descent RRs :(
guess I might have to unload them

You might try the upgrade kit first. If you still want to unload them at least they will be easier to unload

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the cost benefit ratio on that is going to be negative, spend 30 plus shipping to lose 10-20 less. if they are going to gunk up in the rain, they are not worth the hassle. cant stop mid race/ride and do maintenance.

plus upgrade kit costs another cable, as mine is pretty frayed, which adds to cost(sort of, have lifetime supply of cables)

it does look better on the bike, but aesthetics only go so far
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must be pretty cruddy where you are at. Mine have seen plenty of rain racing and training, original version and never an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega in the rain............. [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not had any problems in rain. Don't know which version - got it last summer.
Have you checked the brake cable&housing? High friction in old cables prevent the return action from the brake. This applies to all brakes, but some calipers has stronger return springs than other (TriRig).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this problem. Once you keep the brake assembly clean it will work better. Think lubed but clean like a rifle, just a very light coat. Jack is right, the upgrade kit is a help because reason mine was getting gunked up was because there was grease on the brake.

the new version can run grease/lube free, with the exception of a little dab of Speedplay or Rock and Roll lube on the rollers, but *inside*, not on the surfaces.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega in the rain............. [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sand is in plentiful use all winter long and they don't clean it away in spring. so..... loose sand, manure from spreaders, road construction debris tracking, etc

so when you ride in the rain, if you wear socks, you don't get a nice dirt line transition when you remove socks afterward? never been to a place where riding in the rain where that was the case
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega in the rain............. [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does this belong in LR?? :)

so does this still require taking brake apart to clean after every ride in rain? brake works fine in dry conditions. a little bit of grit and it goes to hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one on the front of my TT bike. Works ok, but I do have to clean/lube as mentioned above as it has stuck before. I won't put it on my road bike.

http://www.fraserbicycle.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you a) need the upgrade kit (which outs rollers on the ends of the lever arms to greatly reduce friction) and b) need to grease a whole lot less and only where it's absolutely necessary. Even then, I only use the lightest coating of Shimano Special Grease. I have no issues with TriRig brake performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny that I just saw this.... because it just happened to me in the rain today.... I depend to heavily on my front brake...
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega in the rain............. [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another Tri Rig Omega owner here...no problems at all with them

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega in the rain............. [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
could be, but I did not grease that much to begin with....

I decided to put ultegra back on. it is a road bike, I seldom race it these days, ie 2x per year, so really an unnecessary item to have. put it up on classifieds, just need to find rest of parts

the wedge was moving fine, it was gunking up at the pivot points at the bottom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am considering the Omegas for my Tri bike. How is the stopping power? What levers are you using?

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding the original version of the brake on the front of my road race bike in Seattle conditions since the first week the product was released, and no problems at all. Have to make sure the camming surfaces are well greased, but that's an every couple of months job. Also have sealed (nokon) cable system, but brake has been great, and it's been used in some pretty darn wrath-of-god type conditions (for eg: a full pound of water build up in a Flo 90 rear wheel... *that's* a product that ain't great in the rain!)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega in the rain............. [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
I've been riding the original version of the brake on the front of my road race bike in [Ontario] conditions since the first week the product was released, and no problems at all. Have to make sure the camming surfaces are well greased, but that's an every couple of months job. Also have sealed (nokon) cable system, but brake has been great, and it's been used in some pretty darn wrath-of-god type conditions

This has been my exact experience.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
I've been riding the original version of the brake [..] and it's been used in some pretty darn wrath-of-god type conditions
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Just so newcomers to this thread notice, the greasing of the levers is no longer required as of late 2012, when we replaced them with nylon rollers that rotate on a pin. Of course, general cleaning/maintenance is always helpful to optimize performance, as with any bike part.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega in the rain............. [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the new ones with the rollers/pin on my Felt B16, and they're great! The best part (for me) is the ease at which you can adjust width.... very helpful when changing wheelsets with different widths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
I've been riding the original version of the brake on the front of my road race bike in Seattle conditions since the first week the product was released, and no problems at all. Have to make sure the camming surfaces are well greased, but that's an every couple of months job. Also have sealed (nokon) cable system, but brake has been great, and it's been used in some pretty darn wrath-of-god type conditions (for eg: a full pound of water build up in a Flo 90 rear wheel... *that's* a product that ain't great in the rain!)

That sounds like a lot of water... Is your drain hole plugged?

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega in the rain............. [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Just Seattle, man. Drain hole is actually drilled out so it's larger than stock now, fwiw. The larger spoke openings in your fairing really suck the water in, essentially the only downside of the wheel (well, that and the fact that rim anodization wore off in one wet race, but that's purely cosmetic.)
I had to take the tire off and use a shop vac to get all the water out of the wheel the last time I used it in a really wet race, and that's after letting it sit overnight oriented so that the drain hole was at the lowest point possible.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Quote:

Just Seattle, man. Drain hole is actually drilled out so it's larger than stock now, fwiw. The larger spoke openings in your fairing really suck the water in, essentially the only downside of the wheel (well, that and the fact that rim anodization wore off in one wet race, but that's purely cosmetic.)
I had to take the tire off and use a shop vac to get all the water out of the wheel the last time I used it in a really wet race, and that's after letting it sit overnight oriented so that the drain hole was at the lowest point possible.

Thanks for getting back to me. I lived in Vancouver for a while. If you are riding in rains like we used to get there, then removing the tire maybe necessary to get out some additional water.
Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the originals and have the same problem in the rain. They get all gunked up and don't release. I just don't use the rear brake, and if I need the front I just reach down to release it if needed.

I just bought two Omega SVs for my new frame. I hope these are better. I will try out the "grease them up" technique if needed.

I was going to put my old ones on my wife's P2, but for this reason I'm not going to. I don't think she could troubleshoot on the go, nor would she want to be bothered.

I'm guess I'm a sucker for aero.

-jack

p.s.- just waiting for the Alphas to be back in stock so I can order a set.

-----
Fine Line Racing - "this is living"
Quote Reply