Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Tremblant vs Louisville
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I have searched this forum and the net to try to get some comparisons between the two races and peoples thoughts. I was hoping that some of you that have participated in both races could make a few comments? A ton of detail is not necessary just wondering how your times compared and what differences to expect on the bike and run courses. Runtri.com says the average finishing times are quite a bit higher in Louisville vs Tremblant ( almost an hour ) but I'm thinking a large portion of that could be heat related?

Any comments or feedback would be appreciated!

Bri
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant vs Louisville [Triguybri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bri, I've done both, several times. I'd be happy to give you my thoughts. I'll put something together for you tomorrow, I'm laying in bed typing on an iPad and it would take all night to give you the pros and cons of each.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Louisville X2 (live in Lexington) and Tremblant once. The heat in Louisville is a major factor, especially if you're on the heavier side.

The bike courses are similar in that they are constantly rolling but you keep all your momentum at the bottom of every climb in Tremblant and literally only use your brakes at the 3 U turns on the course on each lap.

The Louisville run is dead flat but it is blazing hot and humid. The Tremblant run has way more climbing and the ups and downs really hammered my quads.

From my data, same device both times:

Louisville bike: 4790 ft of climbing
Louisville run: 206 ft

Tremblant bike: 3950 ft
Tremblant run: 1739 ft

If it's a concern for you, everything in Tremblant is really expensive. If you're driving and not having to fly and transport your bike you will save some money but the rooms and food were high. Having said that, despite only living an hour from Louisville, having free family lodging there, and having spent most of my life in KY I'll never do the race again unless they move it to a cooler time of year and this is the reason it doesn't sell out quickly. If it were in October it would be one of the best races in the country but August makes it one of the most miserable.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant vs Louisville [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info, thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bike racer not a triathlete. I raced at Master's road nationals three straight years in Louisville. I don't even know where Tremblant is, but I wouldn't even have to think. Go to Tremblant. Mainly because it's not Louisville.

BTW, the last year we raced there my team mate did his 55-59 road race late in the afternoon when it was 110 with the heat index. He won partly because he's really strong and partly because he was smart about ice packs and so forth. The guy who finished second collapsed due to the heat. The temp went down below 100 degrees somewhere around 9pm that night.

Besides which I wouldn't really want to swim in that river if I had a nicer option.

I have no desire to go back to Louisville. Ever.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant vs Louisville [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info guys. I should have mentioned I did Louisville in 2012 and am signed up for Tremblant in August.
Last edited by: Triguybri: May 16, 14 12:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else out there done both Louisville and Tremblant? Any comments or tips would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:
I've done Louisville X2 (live in Lexington) and Tremblant once. The heat in Louisville is a major factor, especially if you're on the heavier side.

The bike courses are similar in that they are constantly rolling but you keep all your momentum at the bottom of every climb in Tremblant and literally only use your brakes at the 3 U turns on the course on each lap.

The Louisville run is dead flat but it is blazing hot and humid. The Tremblant run has way more climbing and the ups and downs really hammered my quads.

From my data, same device both times:

Louisville bike: 4790 ft of climbing
Louisville run: 206 ft

Tremblant bike: 3950 ft
Tremblant run: 1739 ft

If it's a concern for you, everything in Tremblant is really expensive. If you're driving and not having to fly and transport your bike you will save some money but the rooms and food were high. Having said that, despite only living an hour from Louisville, having free family lodging there, and having spent most of my life in KY I'll never do the race again unless they move it to a cooler time of year and this is the reason it doesn't sell out quickly. If it were in October it would be one of the best races in the country but August makes it one of the most miserable.

I have done IMKY and IMMT and I'm not sure where your #'s come from, but NO WAY NOW HOW does IMKY have more climbing on the bike than IMMT. The climb to Lake Superieur smokes anything KY has. Although the run has hills, they are not bad and the crushed gravel out and back in the shade more than make up for the small hills. I have done 8 IM races including LP, KY, FL, and AZ, IMMT is overall the best course I have raced and will be back!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant vs Louisville [godekjames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, I figured there would be more climbing in Tremblant. I'm going to make a trip up there to check out the course prior to the race.

Which race would you say is more difficult overall? Louisville was my 1st Ironman so that's all I have to draw from. Most people I speak with say the heat in Louisville makes it one of the more difficult events. I'm just trying to get any opinions out there. And yes I know they are all difficult.........

Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMMT was a little harder, but way more fun and overall better experience. Swim was one loop with wetsuit (AG wave start), water was clear and cool, great swim so + to IMMT on the swim. IMMT bike was 2 loops with more climbing, roads were near perfect, great scenery and no tacks thrown on the road like IMKY. So IMMT bike was harder but not nearly as hot. Some say the run at IMMT was hilly, but I really did not notice the hills, most of the run is on a crushed gravel path that is shaded and soft on the legs, again not very hot. IMMY has a great finish, but IMMT was just a nice. The biggest difference is the town support and activities for family at IMMT were far above that of IMKY. Rooms in Louisville were cheaper, but IMO IMMT was a much better experience for the entire family. I'm doing IMCHOO this year, but will be back to MT in 2015, Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim, much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
godekjames wrote:
IMMT was a little harder, but way more fun and overall better experience. Swim was one loop with wetsuit (AG wave start), water was clear and cool, great swim so + to IMMT on the swim. IMMT bike was 2 loops with more climbing, roads were near perfect, great scenery and no tacks thrown on the road like IMKY. So IMMT bike was harder but not nearly as hot. Some say the run at IMMT was hilly, but I really did not notice the hills, most of the run is on a crushed gravel path that is shaded and soft on the legs, again not very hot. IMMY has a great finish, but IMMT was just a nice. The biggest difference is the town support and activities for family at IMMT were far above that of IMKY. Rooms in Louisville were cheaper, but IMO IMMT was a much better experience for the entire family. I'm doing IMCHOO this year, but will be back to MT in 2015, Jim

+1

I've done both races and far preferred MT as a destination and a race. The community support in MT is over the top, the scenery is amazing, there are an insane number of things to do for your family, and, while I found the course more challenging, it is a much nicer course. Lou was insanely hot, and the bike course, while having some redeeming characteristics (the trip through La Grange was a lot of fun, and the dog leg up and back Bear Pen) and the flat run course was nice (and the finish was fantastic), but all in all MT is superior. The swim at MT is in a lake surrounded by mountains and the ski resort, and they have buoys out all year long to practice swim. The two loop bike course brings you past your family 4 or more times, and the two loop run course was great too. Just a great experience. I'm hoping to do MT again in 2015 or 2016.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:

If it's a concern for you, everything in Tremblant is really expensive. .

I've been there three times now (2 x 70.3, 1 x 140.6). The hotel room at the Kandahar, which is right in the pedestrian village, was about 200 per night, reserved several months in advance. Not sure how that compares to other IM locations, but its not the end of the world for a special event, especially considering it is a resort area. And as far as food goes, we had free breakfast each morning, there were a couple of sandwich places to get lunch for ~$7, and several choices for dinner ranging from burgers at the ice cream joint, to more expensive stuff, and there is a small convenience store with food. And of course, if you have a car, it is only a short drive to a real grocery store and other food places. So I wouldn't let the cost of the area be a factor...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant vs Louisville [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Near Montreal. Laurention Mountains.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bri - Now that IMMT has passed, would you mind sharing your thoughts on Mont Tremblant vs Louisville Ironman races? How much different / easier do you think Louisville will be when you take out the heat & add wetsuits with the race moving back to October?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant vs Louisville [antwaan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Antwaan,

Very good question. I don't know how much easier it will be as the course in Louisville is not an easy Ironman course. For me I did not find the Louisville course to be much easier ( if at all ) than Tremblant, having said that it was my 2nd Ironman and I am a stronger triathlete than I was two years ago. The temperature will definitely play a lot into it and will hopefully make the day more manageable. The wetsuit will help you save a few minutes as well.

I will say that Tremblant is a much better race venue and I would recommend Tremblant over Louisville any day. Everything from the accommodations, the course, the transitions, the family friendly activities is amazing. Louisville raves about their finish line, Tremblant is 100 times better.......I really found Louisville to be a pain when it came to going to the race expo's, transition areas to drop off your bike and pick it up after the race and the walk to the swim start on race day is long.

Tremblant was A+ for everything.
Quote Reply