Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Looks like WTC is getting into the coaching certification game
Quote | Reply
http://ironman.teamworkonline.com/...=67483#axzz31XmQLTOE

Just what we need, another org telling people they know how to coach.

Maybe I'm a skeptic or maybe I'm just excited to go to the cert class and point out when they are wrong.

Only time will tell.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like WTC is getting into the coaching certification game [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty bloody brilliant and expected move on WTC's part. Now USAT is going to be fighting WTC for coaching creds/webinars. I could see this dwindling the USAT coaching numbers and now "WTC" certified coach on a lot more biz cards.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like WTC is getting into the coaching certification game [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it definitely hits USAT coaching #'s. But I don't see an influx of highly qualified coaches coming out of it. I do see an influx of poorly qualified coaches hitting the market and doing a good job of coaching poorly.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like WTC is getting into the coaching certification game [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those guys have already saturated the market, I can't see this making it worse.

desert dude wrote:
I think it definitely hits USAT coaching #'s. But I don't see an influx of highly qualified coaches coming out of it. I do see an influx of poorly qualified coaches hitting the market and doing a good job of coaching poorly.

We are seriously lousy with "Triathlon Coaches" up here in the Valley, Brian. It's like a blight, people who know fuck all hanging out their shingles. It's actually alarming.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Classic,

Ironic that they spelled "goals" wrong.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All it is going to do is reroute where the "weekend warrior" coaching money goes to get certified. Kinda really status quo from what I can gather. Smart move on WTC's part, in fact a group I was formerly with was in decision with WTC do have this started, back 3 years ago. So, I was sorta waiting for this to occur.

I kinda say this all the time, and I'm still relatively a newcomer on the coaching scene. Find your niche, or be really good at BSing, which I think a lot of coaches can be, but it's also because I think a lot of athletes are pretty lazy when it comes to finding quality coaches. Maybe lazy isn't the best word, because if it works for them, then it works.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you guys are being a little myopic here... think of the end game

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like WTC is getting into the coaching certification game [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.......well, do tell us what the end game looks like.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like smart business to me. If I were looking for a certified coach to do an IM or a 70.3 I would choose WTC over USAT. I know several USAT coaches who diminish the credibility of their certification.

For the record, I've had 2 coaches and neither were USAT certified. Further, while most of the training principles are well known, there still seems to be, from my perspective as an athlete, a lot of remaining areas of disagreement. So how can you certify someone if there isn't agreement on the approach.

Finally, as an old guy, I think there is room for, or should be, coaches who specialize in training the geezers. Frankly, sone of the methods that work well for ages 20-50 are horseshit as the years start piling up.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like WTC is getting into the coaching certification game [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were looking for a certified coach to do an IM or a 70.3 I would choose WTC over USAT. I know several USAT coaches who diminish the credibility of their certification.

No offense but what will make you say WTC's program will be anymore credible? The same issues you see with coaches will happen with WTC. They aren't going to suddenly turn coaching into a full on credible program. This is just another brand move for WTC to create a full on dynasty, and yes as I said earlier a very good move on their part. But that doenst make their coaching process anymore credible than USAT. Both will have great coaches, both will have wanker coaches, and then a bunch of weekend warrior type coaches.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually a pretty good idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like WTC is getting into the coaching certification game [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only tri certification that exist is USAT. Now we have two. This means that there will be competition. Competition will drive both side to deliver a better product. It might not meet some folk's standard, but it will be better than what's out there right now. That's how I look at it. If I were a coach, I would get both certifications to enhance my coaching resume. I'm in IT. I have certifications in my chosen profession. It doesn't mean anything other than the fact that I passed a test. However, in the world of government contracting, IT certifications help win contracts ... just like tri coaching certifications help attract/win clients.

For the record, I don't have a coach. Never had one and never will. It's just my thing. If someone wants a coach, that's their thing. I don't have good/bad feelings against anyone who has or don't have a coach.

Quote | Reply
You are spot on, but note my caveat that I did not use a USAT certified coach. That said, I speculate that USAT coaching focus is on short course. I am aware that they have long course coaching clinics, but everything about USAT shouts sprint and olympic distance with long course as an after thought. I would guess, and that is all that it is, that WTC would give much greater focus to long course training. And again, while general principles of training are the same, the actual training is profoundly different. Based on my admittedly unscientific observation, it seems that USAT certified coaches are less likely to have done an IM than are non-certified coaches...i.e., more likely to bring book knowledge than actual experience. We both could provide anecdotal datapoints showing a reverse correlation between experience and coaching skill, but if you are new to the sport and you are choosing a coach for long course racing, it makes sense that on a general level you might decrease your odds of getting a wanker by going with WTC. They certainly cannot do any worse than USAT.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: May 12, 14 20:13
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like WTC is getting into the coaching certification game [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, as I felt the opposite when I sat through USAT level 1 as a coach. Only when you advance in levels did I actually feel USAT was pushing the short course stuff. USAT now has made 2 different Leve 2 courses, one focusing on LC, one on ITU. And of course Level 3 is really freaking hard to accomplish now, as I think you have to have a athlete ranked in top 50 in the world. Check the US athletes, not very many. Although it makes being at that level even better, since it's great to have such a high standard.

I think USAT's coaching program has improved a lot. It's atleast trying to get actual "coaches" into the clinics and not just athletes who want a weekend of some world class speakers.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just shows that USAT has a perception battle that they have lost with some people. They need to advertise more about what it takes to get the cert. And they can leave out CPR in their ads since that should be a given. I think they probably need about 5 levels, and coaching a pro is not really relevant...sometimes that's just luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do I get a 20% discount if you don't get the WTC certification? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds to me that you are the one with the perception issue. You make tons of assumptions about USAT coaching without participating in a clinic or even looking into what they offer. They have several pages on the websites devoted to coaching. You should check them out and then form an opinion

-----

I like the idea of competition for certification. However, I trust the governing body more than WTC. And I think others should too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. USAT has gotten more selective with coaches being brought in for certification these days. If WTC makes it easy...we are going to see a big influx of WTC coaches flooding the market.

Rattlesnake Blake
With the "Venom Enom"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome... gives one a better idea of who NOT to hire as a coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like WTC is getting into the coaching certification game [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do I get a 20% discount if you don't get the WTC certification?

Haha you joke. But with a WTC certification I can raise my rates by 50-100%. Maybe.

I've got multiple people that have placed top 5 & 10 overall in 70.3's and IM's (that should certify me right there).

When I become WTC certified Ill be at least 1 step closer to taking over the world!!!!!!!!!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can AWA automatically get their coaching certificate?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like WTC is getting into the coaching certification game [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the issue with both USAT and WTC, the are coaching "certification", not coaching education...Look at the difference in coaching ed and then you will see why NZL, AUS, UK and CAN kick the crap out of USA in triathlon. They educate coaches, so there are less bad ones and limit who can work with who. You don't learn to coach in a weekend seminar. Check out the Canadian sport/coach development system. And before anyone says "yeah but we hammer them" each of those countries have few people, so their success rates are significantly higher. Because quality is the name of the game not how much money you can make.

WTC wont do it better, and my guess is they will do it worse, since they are clearly on the money grub side, at least USAT is required some quality control over their product, by the USOC. This is about market domination by WTC, period. Triathlon needs better, not more coaches. Also look at the job listing....this director is to develop curriculum, but they want someone with an MBA and 5 years of marketing experience...so you tell me what curriculum will be developed. So expect nothing less than the benign experience that WTC already gives you. WTC is about marketing and collecting money, their deliverables are "McDonald's" at best. So unless they offer better insurance, I don't see how WTC coaching certification is even relavent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I take this course will I be able to coach people doing Challenge events?

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
Do I get a 20% discount if you don't get the WTC certification?

Haha you joke. But with a WTC certification I can raise my rates by 50-100%. Maybe.

I've got multiple people that have placed top 5 & 10 overall in 70.3's and IM's (that should certify me right there).

When I become WTC certified Ill be at least 1 step closer to taking over the world!!!!!!!!!

Alternatively, can I get a 20% discount if I promise to never race a WTC event?

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply

Prev Next