Prev Next
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [hogfish1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you even triathlon, bro?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like he sold off his stuff

http://forumdev.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Classifieds_F2/FS%3A_56cm_CAAD9_7%2C_Fizik_Tritone_Saddle%2C_Garmin_GSC-10%2C_Mag_Trainer_P5308828/#p5308828

Underground Race Team
http://www.OURtri.org | Twitter | Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [Badger Time] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Badger Time wrote:

http://forumdev.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Classifieds_F2/FS%3A_56cm_CAAD9_7%2C_Fizik_Tritone_Saddle%2C_Garmin_GSC-10%2C_Mag_Trainer_P5308828/#p5308828

Not to be a douche about it or anything but I am guessing based on this bike that the guy was never <10 material to begin with...

Not that this isn't a nice bike or anything, but this is not the bike of a <10 guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is great.

Kent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there was no disc wheel therefore never had a fighting chance to go sub 10

Man really bummed he did not give follow up to this thread with a RR.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Badger Time wrote:

Not to be a douche about it or anything but I am guessing based on this bike that the guy was never <10 material to begin with...

Not that this isn't a nice bike or anything, but this is not the bike of a <10 guy.

Looked at your comment and thought "oh no, another bike snob...why are people convinced that you need a $5k bike to go fast?" Then I checked out the bike...You're right...not a <10 guy.

Do we even know if he actually raced and what his time was?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love how this thread was resurrected. Interesting story.

The consistent theme emerging is "You can't go sub 10 so quickly."

You can.

I went from the couch and being 75 pounds overweight to my first HIM in one year. (5:04)
I was a swimmer up to age 14. No organized sports since then. I was fit until about age 30. I had never run a step in my life unless I was chasing after a girl! Didn't own a bike. Hadn't been in a lap pool since the last day I walked out of practice on my swim team. I started this journey when I was 39. I am now in M40.

One year after my first HIM, I did my first Ironman. Raced 10:04 at Ironman Taiwan and snagged a Kona slot.

Kona 2015, 1.5 years after I started losing weight, I finished 10:01:59. I was so naive then I really didn't think of a "sub 10" or I might have tried to push harder to shave off those two minutes for a prettier number.

South Africa 2016....my third Ironman, I went 9:59:37.

Will be back to Kona 2017 and hopefully crack that 10 hour nut.

I do not have a coach. I do not have amazing genes. I just love to train and have learned to listen to what my body needs. And what does it mean?

The biggest lesson I've learned is not to listen to all the people talking about recovery without end. OF COURSE recovery is necessary...but I think most people underestimate what the body can do and how to recover properly. The pendulum seems to have swung a little too far in the recovery direction in many cases.

My advice to KQ or sub 10? Listen to that voice inside you that says you can. Take on the training advice of people who know so much more about this sport than you, but not their "reality" or their discouragement or their advice to moderate your goals. It's up to you to put the work in and make it happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:

You can.

I went from the couch and being 75 pounds overweight to my first HIM in one year. (5:04)
I was a swimmer up to age 14. No organized sports since then. I was fit until about age 30. I had never run a step in my life unless I was chasing after a girl! Didn't own a bike. Hadn't been in a lap pool since the last day I walked out of practice on my swim team. I started this journey when I was 39. I am now in M40.

One year after my first HIM, I did my first Ironman. Raced 10:04 at Ironman Taiwan and snagged a Kona slot.

Kona 2015, 1.5 years after I started losing weight, I finished 10:01:59. I was so naive then I really didn't think of a "sub 10" or I might have tried to push harder to shave off those two minutes for a prettier number.

I do not have a coach. I do not have amazing genes. I just love to train and have learned to listen to what my body needs. And what does it mean?

The biggest lesson I've learned is not to listen to all the people talking about recovery without end. OF COURSE recovery is necessary...but I think most people underestimate what the body can do and how to recover properly. The pendulum seems to have swung a little too far in the recovery direction in many cases.

My advice to KQ or sub 10? Listen to that voice inside you that says you can. Take on the training advice of people who know so much more about this sport than you, but not their "reality" or their discouragement or their advice to moderate your goals. It's up to you to put the work in and make it happen.

You disqualified yourself with this one very simple bolded statement. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I don't think you understand how much of a headstart you have with the swim. Which then gets in to the second part, people have to work really freakin' heard if they didn't swim and it takes years. Years takes it toll on the body and hence why recovery is important. Come back to me in 6 years and then lets talk. 56 and change swim at IMSA buts you well well ahead of the curve.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:

You can.

I do not have a coach. I HAVE AMAZING GENES AND A SWIM BACKGROUND. I just love to train and have learned to listen to what my body needs. And what does it mean?

Your story and results are very very impressive but I just had to FIFY

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Darren325 wrote:

You can.

You disqualified yourself with this one very simple bolded statement. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I don't think you understand how much of a headstart you have with the swim. Which then gets in to the second part, people have to work really freakin' heard if they didn't swim and it takes years. Years takes it toll on the body and hence why recovery is important. Come back to me in 6 years and then lets talk. 56 and change swim at IMSA buts you well well ahead of the curve.

I have always wondered about the swim and why it is said to be so difficult. I have no swimming background nor endurance sport background, 10 months after I started training for triathlon at age 41, I went sub 10 in my first full and swam 1h flat. I've done 2 since (9.28 for KQ and 9.55 in Kona) with 59 and 57min swims respectively (so it seems I'm getting better meaning training works, first 2 were wetsuit).

Is it a physiological thing, spatial awareness, coordination or mental?

for the other topic, I would imagine that any healthy non overweight male in their 30's or early 40's can go sub 10 after few years of reasonable training (say consistent 12h weekly loads <-- this actually being the only difficult part).
Last edited by: markko: Dec 23, 16 6:18
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [fastsi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you go sub10 at IMLP?

Thanks for reviving this thread.

There are micro and macro things going on here.

The micro - did this guy go sub 10 or not? Did he even make it to the starting line?

The macro issue, that has come up with a bit of forensics from some other forum members, is he seems to have been in and out of the sport quickly. THAT to me is the bigger issue since we seem to be having a decline in numbers of triathletes in North America right now.

I have a number of questions for the OP. Talking to, quickly In/Out folks like this, is helpful. It will help us going forward to build the sport. We want people to come in, and not just be In/Out quickly but embrace the sport and be here for a while!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Dec 23, 16 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markko wrote:
I have always wondered about the swim and why it is said to be so difficult. I have no swimming background nor endurance sport background, 10 months after I started training for triathlon at age 41, I went sub 10 in my first full and swam 1h flat. I've done 2 since (9.28 for KQ and 9.55 in Kona) with 59 and 57min swims respectively (so it seems I'm getting better meaning training works, first 2 were wetsuit).

Is it a physiological thing, spatial awareness, coordination or mental?

for the other topic, I would imagine that any healthy non overweight male in their 30's or early 40's can go sub 10 after few years of reasonable training (say consistent 12h weekly loads <-- this actually being the only difficult part).

Don't you think it would be honest to say you were probably coming into Triathlon in better shape than the average AG'er? Also, if I had any sort of telekinetic power, you would have burst into flames right after I read "sub 10 in my first full".

To answer your question, though; When you look at IM videos or spectate at one with a mass start it looks scary. Especially if you haven't swam since you were a kid, and are now just plodding back forth at your local pool to prepare for the Ironman you signed up for. Then there are the stories you hear about people being swam over and man-handled. It's not until you're in the middle of the washing machine you realize it's not that bad. I was surprised by just how polite other swimmers were.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was IRONMAN what did it.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You can.

There's always Outliers and you seem to be one of them. Well done!

Of course every person and situation is different.

10 hours in my view is and is not that hard - I have split feelings on it. Balanced splits for 10 hours are 1 - 1:10 for the swim 5:00 - 5:30 for the bike and 3:20 - 3:40 on the bike each of those performances, stand-alone are not that hard, really. But stringing them all together, is the challenge.

Also, some off-the-couch folks do have latent physical ability and others don't. There is also the mental side to this - again, some have it and others don't. Where there really starts to become a clash on that front is with the person where the 10 hrs is not going to come quickly ( it's going to take years and years) and they are mentally not that into it - this sounds like it might have been the case with the OP.

For some (a small group), like yourself, it comes quickly. For many others it does not. For average folks there is a gross under estimation of how long it takes to get to level-X of fitness/performance. That's why, while it sounds cliche, you have to REALLY like the training, and embrace the journey and the process - because it's going to take a while!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As mentioned previously, Sub 10:00 at first attempt is not unattainable, it is simply very unlikely due to the principle of the Bell-Curve. On Letsrun.com 5k times greater than 15 minutes are below average :). However, we know IRL, this time is in the 99th percentile. A 10:00 hour ironman requires less genetic talent than a Sub 15 minute 5k, I would argue that most Sub 18 minute 5k runners have the aerobic potential to break 10:00. However, the ironman requires SO many other skills and prerequisites.

Swimming technique and natural affinity for the water.
My buddy is a 2:14 marathoner and he could probably only swim a 100 yards in 2 minutes.

Durability
training 15-20 hours a week requires a LOT of mental and physical durability.
running a marathon after biking for 5 hours also requires a lot of durability.

Time
full time job+training 15-20 hours per week=no life outside of training

Heat tolerance
most ironmans are a lot warmer than marathons

Mental Toughness
Many athletes with great potential have phoned it in at the end of an ironman because they could not withstand the fatigue that comes with a 10 hour race.
its way easier to fall apart in an ironman than a 5k, although you can do it!

Expendable income
you need money to buy a triathlon bike and ironman entry fee
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [SebastianK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SebastianK wrote:
How did it go? Did you hit your 10 hour goal?

ST REMEMBERS....ST NEVER FORGETS....ST WILL FIND OUT... :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You can.

There are also a few minor details that differentiate your post from the OP.

First, you were a swimmer up to age 14 and the OP had no background in triathlons. That is a big difference. Second, the OP was aiming for a sub 10 hour race in his first triathlon a year from the date of posting You did a half-Ironman in 1 year and then a full ironman a year later. That means you spent 2 years, double the time he was going to take.

Finally, he was trying to break 10 hours at a race where only about 10 people achieve that goal. How many broke 10 hours in Ironman Taiwan? My bet is more than 10.

Your results are impressive but a lot of the comments that were written about the OP had a different context.

Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. It's not easy and my swim background is a huge plus. I'm just saying in general
..Dream big and work hard.

2015...Aside from pros...I think only 6 or went sub 10 at Ironman Taiwan. 2015 was a cool 37 degrees and a bike course that had 1400m elevation with technical descents packed into the first 90km

2016...Ironman Taiwan was in Penghu. Flat course except for long grinding hills on the run that would spike your heart rate. 41 degrees Celsius, 95% humidity, merciless sun. I KQ'd that day...But damn hardest thing I've done.

Competition is lower in Asia...But getting better. 2015 was quite worried I would be destroyed at Kona...Never going to being the pointy end...But Kona feels like a cool day out compared to races I've done in Asia.

For the runners here...Any advice on how to get my run down to 3:20...Highly appreciated!!! I suck. !!

Sanuk wrote:

You can.

There are also a few minor details that differentiate your post from the OP.

First, you were a swimmer up to age 14 and the OP had no background in triathlons. That is a big difference. Second, the OP was aiming for a sub 10 hour race in his first triathlon a year from the date of posting You did a half-Ironman in 1 year and then a full ironman a year later. That means you spent 2 years, double the time he was going to take.

Finally, he was trying to break 10 hours at a race where only about 10 people achieve that goal. How many broke 10 hours in Ironman Taiwan? My bet is more than 10.

Your results are impressive but a lot of the comments that were written about the OP had a different context.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But Kona feels like a cool day out compared to races I've done in Asia.

I lived in Thailand for a year and another year in the Philippines and am here now outside Manila. During my sole bike tour I went through India, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia and can attest to the heat. There were days out there I thought I would combust and just start on fire.

I can't imagine preparing for and racing an IM here in the months between April and September.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feel your pain! I'm fine one the bike up to 45. Past 37 and running....Things get questionable real fast! :) Sounds like some awesome two wheel adventures in there!
Quote Reply

Prev Next