Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Top End Sprint Speed with Aero hoops
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I've been riding on a set of Profile Design 58/78 Twenty-Four wheelsets 100% exclusively for the past month as I'm doing a write up on them and trying them out on all sorts of terrain - from flat to hilly and descending. This is my first long term set (I tested the 58/58 combo for 2 weeks prior) and came from the stock TTR3 Felt wheels. I also ride a road Orbea with stock Mavic Kyseriums Race. I would treat both the Felt and Mavics to be entry level, but decent hoops.

So here is my question: On generally level ground, I've ridden a few Strava segments that I am very familiar with and it seems that I cannot achieve the same top level speeds with the aero wheels and am off by bout 1-2 mph. This has nothing to do with cruising speed, which I'm happy with, but more or less attack speed. It just feels like when I hit 30-34 mph all out, the wheels do not want to budge any faster. Again, I've tried the course a few times to compensate difference in wind, body composure etc. I will say these are not back to back days of testing, rather weeks possibly. I am using the same Garmin recorder and everything else is generally the same.

Anyone else run into this? Is it possible that Aero wheels are "tuned" to be optimal in the 20-25 mph range? Is it me?

Bill

70 point something - Felt, Profile Twenty Four, Shimano
Last edited by: BoraBill: Apr 24, 14 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: Top End Sprint Speed with Aero hoops [BoraBill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it's you. 8^)

I'm curious though. Have you been able to recreate your "best" top speed(s) recently with the other wheelsets?

Or are you just taking a top speed from a previous time and using that in your comparison?
Quote Reply
Re: Top End Sprint Speed with Aero hoops [HOWSER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HOWSER wrote:
Yes, it's you. 8^)

I'm curious though. Have you been able to recreate your "best" top speed(s) recently with the other wheelsets?

Or are you just taking a top speed from a previous time and using that in your comparison?

Howser, you bring up a good point. I have been able to PR many other segments, but they are typically non "balls to the walls efforts". So where I am in typical Z4, it would be a slight bump in speed. And these are rides that travel over the same locations over and over to get the best measurement against the elements. These are recent rides, compared to previously traveled and recorded times.

I am about to put the stock wheels back on in May and try this segments again a few times to gauge the differences. I should have more to compare at that point, but until then, it will have to wait. It has been a question burning in the back of my head for a few weeks now and figured I'd get a conversation going. With my felt's rear brakes on the bottom of my chainstays, its not the easiest to change the pads back and forth without having to get my LBS involved as the crank chainrings pretty much butt up against it.

Last edited by: BoraBill: Apr 24, 14 11:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not the hoops (check brakes, bearings, tires, and sugar pills for possible reasons).

As you ride faster, the only notable change that determines which wheel is more aero is that you average yaw angle goes down (but aero wheels are faster even at zero yaw).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is worthless without tires.

That is to say, this is only a valid comparison with the same tires/tubes, etc on each set of wheels. Your 'all out attack' speed is not a great comparison either since peak wattage will vary a lot with freshness, who is to say you did 650w instead of 750w instead of 850w for an effort unless you are testing with a power meter simultaneously.

Check the required power for a constant speed or resultant speed for a constant power across a segment. Anything else is purely subjective.
Quote Reply
Re: Top End Sprint Speed with Aero hoops [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseN wrote:
This thread is worthless without tires.

That is to say, this is only a valid comparison with the same tires/tubes, etc on each set of wheels. Your 'all out attack' speed is not a great comparison either since peak wattage will vary a lot with freshness, who is to say you did 650w instead of 750w instead of 850w for an effort unless you are testing with a power meter simultaneously.

Check the required power for a constant speed or resultant speed for a constant power across a segment. Anything else is purely subjective.

Agreed that there are variables. This is a "feel" that I have come across of some resistance at the top end. Been on a bike for over 22 years, I'll bank my opinion on that. I can only speculate and bring up the question to those that may have gone through the motions with data that I do not have access to at the moment.

Tires are Conti GP5000 23mm on std, 25mm on aero
In Reply To:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the rims are heavier on the deeper aero wheels. So I suppose there would be a very small difference in the power needed to get the wheels up to speed. Maybe that is what you are feeling.
Quote Reply