Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

understanding stack & reach - cervelo vs cannondale
Quote | Reply
i am looking at a cannondale caad10 frame for crit racing and racing in general. i want something aluminum in case of crashes.

i have several bikes but my best fitting is cervelo r3 that fits me like a glove. would a caad10 56cm be a good fit for me?

cervelo r3 - 56 cm
stack 580
reach 387

caad10 - 56 cm
stack 560
reach 394

caad10 - 58 cm
stack 579
reach 399

does this mean i would need a 58 cm frame? would that fit me better? i like to ride low and aggressive so i definitely don't want to be sticking 10 spacers in a 56.
Quote Reply
Re: understanding stack & reach - cervelo vs cannondale [trix99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trix, You're looking at it correctly. To have the same handlebar height you'll want to go with the 58 and reduce stem size by 10mm (assuming your running a -17 stem). You could also look at getting a shorter reach drop bar. If you go with the 56 you'll be tempted to lower the stem and putting the drops in a position that you are reaching for reducing your control and stability which is critical in crit racing. Too many riders are out there with super low drops with their arms outstretched reducing the ability to meneuver the handle bars. Race in the drops and ride in the hoods, dont race in the hoods and hope to reach the drops.

Also consider the frame geo - the cannondale has a flat top tube where the R3 is slopping so you'll have more bike under you with the cannondale so the bike may ride a bit differently.

JD - Product Development
Profile Design | FIST Certified | Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter | Find a Dealer
Quote Reply
Re: understanding stack & reach - cervelo vs cannondale [trix99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What length/rise stem are you currently running on your R3?
Quote Reply
Re: understanding stack & reach - cervelo vs cannondale [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my stem on the cervelo r3 is 100mm 0 degrees - i run 0 spacers on this frame

i also have a 2011 cervelo s2 which i use for crits, but that geometry fits me terribly i just can't get comfortable and only use it for racing.
Quote Reply
Re: understanding stack & reach - cervelo vs cannondale [JD@ProfileTech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD@ProfileTech wrote:
Trix, You're looking at it correctly. To have the same handlebar height you'll want to go with the 58 and reduce stem size by 10mm (assuming your running a -17 stem). You could also look at getting a shorter reach drop bar. If you go with the 56 you'll be tempted to lower the stem and putting the drops in a position that you are reaching for reducing your control and stability which is critical in crit racing. Too many riders are out there with super low drops with their arms outstretched reducing the ability to meneuver the handle bars. Race in the drops and ride in the hoods, dont race in the hoods and hope to reach the drops.

Also consider the frame geo - the cannondale has a flat top tube where the R3 is slopping so you'll have more bike under you with the cannondale so the bike may ride a bit differently.

thanks, also one other option is the specialized allez.

which @ 56 cm would be similar to the r3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, so no rise at all on that stem, meaning the bars are in the same position if you flip the stem over?

The C'dale is a lot lower. The best fit I can come up with on the 56 (within 1mm of the R3 stack and reach) is a 100mm 84 degree stem turned up, with a 10mm spacer.

And on the 58 (also within 1mm of the stack and reach of your R3) it would be a 90 mm 0 rise stem with a 5mm spacer.

These numbers assume a few things:
- no errors on my spreadsheet
- a 5mm headset top cap on all bikes
- a 42 mm stem height (I think this is left over from a Ritchey stem I was looking at)

Instead of paying for a new bike up front, why not just race the R3 and pay for a new bike only in the event that you actually crash and ruin it?

YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks to be a safer bet for you. I'm interested to see your position on the bike.

JD - Product Development
Profile Design | FIST Certified | Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter | Find a Dealer
Quote Reply
Re: understanding stack & reach - cervelo vs cannondale [JD@ProfileTech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD@ProfileTech wrote:
That looks to be a safer bet for you. I'm interested to see your position on the bike.

i don't have anyone to actually take a pic of me. but will try to made gopro it and youtube it this weekend if i get lucky somehow.
Quote Reply
Re: understanding stack & reach - cervelo vs cannondale [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
OK, so no rise at all on that stem, meaning the bars are in the same position if you flip the stem over?

The C'dale is a lot lower. The best fit I can come up with on the 56 (within 1mm of the R3 stack and reach) is a 100mm 84 degree stem turned up, with a 10mm spacer.

And on the 58 (also within 1mm of the stack and reach of your R3) it would be a 90 mm 0 rise stem with a 5mm spacer.

These numbers assume a few things:
- no errors on my spreadsheet
- a 5mm headset top cap on all bikes
- a 42 mm stem height (I think this is left over from a Ritchey stem I was looking at)

Instead of paying for a new bike up front, why not just race the R3 and pay for a new bike only in the event that you actually crash and ruin it?

YMMV

thanks. couple of reasons. the r3 is 2014 with DI2 and after changing from r5 i love it. so to use it in a crit is a non-option.

now what i could do is buy a cheapy 2012/2013 r3-r5 frame and put sram red on it. and race that. however i do want to try something different and the caad10 is supposed to be a great bike.
Quote Reply