Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

home install of quarq riken and crazy readings
Quote | Reply
hey guys

i installed my quarq riken last night

i do not have a torque wrench. i replaced my bb-9000 dura ace bottom bracket with a truactiv gxp and added the bb mount for my sensor, and just got it to tight and then 1 last tighten with the bb wrench and when installing my left crank arm i just torqued it down until it was tight there is no play, how important and sensitive is proper torque. i was to drop off bike at local bike shop before the weekend to just have them loosen and then torque it up.

ALSO!,

with just regular power as a metric I've noticed my watts are jumping all over the place. 160 139 145 165 160 170 152 i did set it to a 10s blend and haven't ridden with it just spun for 30-45 sec on trainer to pair and calibrate. i put drive side to 6 o'clock and went thru calibrate and it reads -5

is this normal? is that what power meters do if its just live watts? or does it get more stable after hard and sustained efforts etc.
Quote Reply
Re: home install of quarq riken and crazy readings [JMatroni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about your torque question but power readings do bounce around like that which is why it is better to use 10s average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Quarq measures power via the crank spider. This should have nothing to do with your bottom bracket being tight. The Vector is the only power meter you have to worry about with regards to torque.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on what others said on torque. if the crank feels nice and tight with no play you should be fine; just double check it after 50 miles or so to make sure it didnt come loose.

in regards to the readings, dont pay too much attention to the initial reading (the -5). what is more important is that the initial reading and the reading at the end of the ride (if you calibrate it again to check) are within 50 or so of each other. your power will bounce around a lot on the screen unless you choose a longer average. Also, if you start to get really odd reading check the battery.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JMatroni wrote:
hey guys

i installed my quarq riken last night

i do not have a torque wrench. i replaced my bb-9000 dura ace bottom bracket with a truactiv gxp and added the bb mount for my sensor, and just got it to tight and then 1 last tighten with the bb wrench and when installing my left crank arm i just torqued it down until it was tight there is no play, how important and sensitive is proper torque. i was to drop off bike at local bike shop before the weekend to just have them loosen and then torque it up.

ALSO!,

with just regular power as a metric I've noticed my watts are jumping all over the place. 160 139 145 165 160 170 152 i did set it to a 10s blend and haven't ridden with it just spun for 30-45 sec on trainer to pair and calibrate. i put drive side to 6 o'clock and went thru calibrate and it reads -5

is this normal? is that what power meters do if its just live watts? or does it get more stable after hard and sustained efforts etc.

J,

The problem with giving advice on this is that one man's tight is another man's loose. While working as a motorcycle mechanic a lifetime ago, we constantly saw clients both over and under tighten critical components on a daily basis. So without knowing your mechanical backgound/experience it's tough to give advice. I'd really hate to find out you rode the cranks around what turned out to be too loose and buggered things up.

As others have said, instant power and even 3 second power will seem to bounce all over the place especially as you just begin to ride with power. This was one of the reasons I suggested you not worry about doing a formal test or attempt to pace with a specific power in the race this weekend. After a couple of weeks riding with power you'll become much more adept at riding with more consistent power and will develop the ability to catch a quick glance at the reading without taking your attention completely off the more important task at hand....like not running into someone or off the road. You'll soon be thinking " this feels like about 275 watts" look down and see 274 and smile at the though you're brain has become calibrated so quickly.

If there are some hills on the race course this weekend you might want to glance at your power output on them. The majority of triathletes hammer the hills way too hard.

Have fun and stay safe.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: home install of quarq riken and crazy readings [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it. So I made it right so and then I have it one last heave til I couldn't tighten it unless I really try to and if I do it'll get minimal advancement.
Quote Reply