Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for a durable armband for smartphone...
Quote | Reply
Ok, I tried to search first and all I am finding is people looking for options on carrying a phone or a sweatproof one. I really don't care if it is sweatproof but just want something that is durable and will last more than few months of use. Maybe it is my ultra strong massive biceps or something but these things keep on ripping on me or the something in the armband breaks.

Or, do I just buy cheap ones in bulk and toss them when they eventually tear/rip? Doesn't have to even be that nice just a little cubby for my house key is all I ask to have (the one I just ripped a couple of days ago has one and it is a handy feature to store a key - I had my garage door spring cable pulley snapped once and didn't discover this until after my ride to which I had a tough time getting inside my house at that point since nobody was home).

The only reason I carry the phone is in case of emergencies or if I get stranded somewhere (either biking or running). Otherwise, I use one of my Garmins to track my ride/run (but those can't make phone calls).
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a durable armband for smartphone... [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem, going through armbands too often. I broke down and bought a little Inov8 fanny pack thing and haven't looked back. I've been using it about a year and it still looks new.

It took a few runs to dial in the fit, but once I did it doesn't bug me at all.

Spibelt works well also. I tried one out this winter when I had a longer solo run so I could listen to some music. I don't like things to bounce around and this was unobtrusive.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a durable armband for smartphone... [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried using the belts for bike rides?

I want something that won't be obtrusive to my comfort on a bike too as I do carry my phone when I go out for rides too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't you have 3 pockets on your jersey? one of those and a ziploc baggie is how I carry my phone...

edit: I also have a spibelt and love it
Last edited by: steelrain66: Apr 24, 14 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a durable armband for smartphone... [steelrain66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not all of them. Some have 2 and I can't stand something like that flapping around in the back pocket. Plus I sometimes do a brick and just hop off my bike and go for a run know it would then. Learned that items don't always stay in the pockets when running depending on what I am wearing. One of my longsleeves I lost a couple of gels during the first run for a duathlon last year (they just popped out literally 100 yards into the start of the race).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend the Spibelt then... You could spin it around to rest on the small of your back while riding and turn it back around to the front when you go for a run. Tip: if you get one they recommend you wear it slightly off to the left or right of center to prevent bouncing. It works, I've worn mine through 2 marathons and countless other runs now. Oh, and it still looks brand new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
Have you tried using the belts for bike rides?

I want something that won't be obtrusive to my comfort on a bike too as I do carry my phone when I go out for rides too.

I've never used it on a bike. I just stuff my jersey pockets and ride. I would guess it would work fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X-1 Audio makes some great ones if your phone fits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X-1 makes a great armband for smartphones. http://x-1.com DM me if you want a 20% discount code :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a durable armband for smartphone... [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at them and they seem nice. But, I measured my phone and it is a whopping 5.1" (or so) tall. Max fitment height for the X-1 armbands is 4.9" so pretty much most of the higher end later generation Android phones (to which I have a Razr Maxx) won't fit them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, I should have asked what phone you have :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply