Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bonking: Fitness v Nutrition [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
teichs42 wrote:
I've actually been pacing very well and have been able to keep the effort down over the first half and I let myself pick it up a little bit on the second half. It took me 4:10 to do that 60 mile ride this last weekend. I was hoping to be in better shape 4 months out from the race but it is what it is and I've accepted that. In the last week I've decided to cut down from 4 individual runs to 3, so that I could do 4 rides instead of 3. So I'll be getting in extra miles every week now on the bike, which I'm hoping will really help. And I have been doing the midweek rides at a considerably higher effort.

As I add miles/time onto my long weekend rides, how much should I be adding at a time? Should I just go by time and try to add 30 mins every 2-3 weeks?

Why are you cutting down your runs? Why not just add another bike?

The man's changing a 4run/3bike combo to 3run/4bike version. That's still 7 sessions per week on his legs and the OP has also stated that this is his first go at the longer version of the sport. He's also stated that he has a day or two rest per week, so to my way of looking at it, that's still a heap of leg work that he has to adapt to.
Experienced IM athletes who have many seasons of training behind them may have no trouble with a 4/4 combo or even more, but at this stage of his training it'd be wise to remain injury and fatigue free and be able to achieve the training load that is being targeted. In time, and that may even be a few weeks on, he may be able or have the desire to increase the load.
Quote Reply
Re: Bonking: Fitness v Nutrition [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I definitely don't think I have a 4/4 combo in me right now. And to be frank don't have the time for it. I'm trying my best to not let IM take over my life. It's already all I think about for the most part, which honestly bothers me, but I'm trying to leave time for my wife and other passions.
Quote Reply
Re: Bonking: Fitness v Nutrition [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say both- need more saddle time and also take a look at better fueling.
3 bottles might leave you dehydrated- that can make you think that you are bonking.
Try upping the bottles and making sure that you are getting about 60 grams/hour of carbs.
On top of that make sure that your glycogen stores are good going into the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Bonking: Fitness v Nutrition [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Yeah, I definitely don't think I have a 4/4 combo in me right now. And to be frank don't have the time for it. I'm trying my best to not let IM take over my life. It's already all I think about for the most part, which honestly bothers me, but I'm trying to leave time for my wife and other passions.

And you are swimming at least twice a week also, right??? Gotta finish that swim before you're allowed to bike and run:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Bonking: Fitness v Nutrition [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup! 2x a week right now. Once the water is warm enough I'll add another swim in open water.
Quote Reply

Prev Next