Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boston Marathon GPS Jamming?
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else's GPS crap out just after turning onto Beacon Street after Heartbreak? I'm wondering if the signal was being jammed for security measures.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon GPS Jamming? [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had no issues, mine worked fine the entire race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh, not, but I hear tin foils hat work well...

You have a piece of complex technology on your wrist and sometimes it doesn't work. If you had an older GPS there could be signal issues.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djmercer wrote:
Did anyone else's GPS crap out just after turning onto Beacon Street after Heartbreak? I'm wondering if the signal was being jammed for security measures.

Dave

mine worked fine all day... I have an older 310..

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon GPS Jamming? [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob, GPS signals can be jammed in localized areas and intentionally degraded over broader areas. I'm "in" aviation. We have to do what's called a RAIM check for certain segments of our flights to verify accuracy, as it does become degraded at times, either on purpose or by the constellation's partial failure. I'm the furthest thing from a conspiracy theorist, but it seemed strange for this to occur just as I was turning towards downtown when it was tracking perfectly up 'til then, hence my question on whether anyone else had their tracking drop off line. I was using a 910XT, but it seems others had no issues, so it might, as you suggest, be an anomaly of my techno-wrist gizmo.

As an aside, because I was curious, I asked Garmin last year whether or not the 910XT used a WAAS receiver, and what GPS engine they put in it. For both questions, I was told "we can't tell you that," meaning they weren't willing to tell me. I'm sure someone out there knows what receiver it uses, and whether it has WAAS enabled, but I'm not about to take mine apart to find out!

Cheers,
Dave
Last edited by: djmercer: Apr 23, 14 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Garmin 910XT has worked over the entire course in 2012, 2013, 2014. In 2013 after the pressure cookers blew there was apparently a temporary shut down of cell service either due to an over load of frantic users or shut down by authorities due to the concern about IEDs being detonated remotely by cell phones. Tim
Quote Reply