Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

140.6 on a road bike?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering who has raced a 140.6 or even 70.3 distance triathlon using a regular road bike for the bike leg, not a TT set up. Thinking about the post-aero bars era (ie: since we've had a choice) and preferably, folks who have raced at the front end of their category, pro or AG. If you have - or know someone who has: the why/what/when/how would be cool.

Mahalo
Quote Reply
Re: 140.6 on a road bike? [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Does this count? From ST front page
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Literally thousands upon thousands of people have done this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which race? There are a few local pro bike fitters who have recommended a road bike for IM Wisconsin. Having raced it 3 times and ridden the course at least 30-40 times over the last 8 years, not a bad suggestion. I prefer my tri bike, but, a significant portion of the field use road bikes with clip on bars.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a middle of the pack guy, but if it helps...
I raced the Toughman half twice on a Cannondale Super Six 105, with Jammer GT aerobar clipons. I just bought a Slice for this year however.
Quote Reply
Re: 140.6 on a road bike? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for replying. I don't know the IMWiscon course but are hills the reason for the recommendation? Other? I've heard that people use roadies at one of the IM races in France due to hills (Nice?).

KKCY - thanks for the photo, I hadn't looked at that photo gallery.

SurfingLamb - I appreciate that this is nothing new - I've done it myself - but I haven't seen road bikes in the pro transition at any of the races I've done or watched. The exception being ITU races of course. Otherwise, its wall to wall TT bikes every time. I'm not asking "does this happen" but rather, when it does - why etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have because I no longer enjoy riding my tri bike.

Quote | Reply
PT wrote:
Just wondering who has raced a 140.6 or even 70.3 distance triathlon using a regular road bike for the bike leg, not a TT set up. Thinking about the post-aero bars era (ie: since we've had a choice) and preferably, folks who have raced at the front end of their category, pro or AG. If you have - or know someone who has: the why/what/when/how would be cool.
Mahalo

I had used my Cervelo S5 on Vineman 70.3 and IMLT 140.6 and especially glad I did at Lake Tahoe. I should have used my TT bike at Vineman, but I wanted the practice for IMLT. I bet I only lost a couple of minutes, but I felt pretty good on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: 140.6 on a road bike? [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you use clip-on aero bars ? Also, when you say you felt good, why was that? Lower back in better shape due to a more upright ride?

thanks for sharing

karlw2000 wrote:
PT wrote:
Mahalo

I had used my Cervelo S5 on Vineman 70.3 and IMLT 140.6 and especially glad I did at Lake Tahoe. I should have used my TT bike at Vineman, but I wanted the practice for IMLT. I bet I only lost a couple of minutes, but I felt pretty good on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PT wrote:
Thanks for replying. I don't know the IMWiscon course but are hills the reason for the recommendation? Other? I've heard that people use roadies at one of the IM races in France due to hills (Nice?).

There are some hills, but, no killer ones. The issue with IMWI is that it is a very technical course. What I mean is, there are constant rollers and a ton of turns. There are a couple spots where you go down a hill and right into a 90 degree turn. While I use a tri bike, I would bet I am on the bull horns more than any other race I have ever done. IMWI is simply relentless with rollers and turns. So, a lot of people are more comfortable on a road bike.

Edit to add: I have never been on the IM France course, but, I have heard people suggest a road bike for the same reasons as IMWI.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Apr 23, 14 15:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both Simon Lessing and Chrissie Wellington won IM over all on Cervelo Soloist road bikes. For many years Macca raced on a Kestrel Talon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did use clip-on aero bars. I really don't know why I felt so good on the run. I only did 1 other HIM using my TT bike and had a bad day. I've done many Oly's using my TT bike and had no problems on the run. I did wonder if the more upright position was easier on my back, but I'll probably never know for sure.

PT wrote:
Did you use clip-on aero bars ? Also, when you say you felt good, why was that? Lower back in better shape due to a more upright ride?

thanks for sharing

karlw2000 wrote:
PT wrote:
Mahalo

Quote Reply
Re: 140.6 on a road bike? [tonygale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for replying. Why the switch now? I can guess but thought I'd ask all the same.

tx

tonygale wrote:
I am a middle of the pack guy, but if it helps...
I raced the Toughman half twice on a Cannondale Super Six 105, with Jammer GT aerobar clipons. I just bought a Slice for this year however.
Quote Reply
Re: 140.6 on a road bike? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks, I didn't know that. Did they convert them with TT bars or ride with drops? I don't know much about the Talon but the Soloist is a freakishly good bike, even now. One of the black anodized ones is on my wishlist if I ever find the right size.

cerveloguy wrote:
Both Simon Lessing and Chrissie Wellington won IM over all on Cervelo Soloist road bikes. For many years Macca raced on a Kestrel Talon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lessing and Wellington both had road bike positions with roadie bars and aero bars. Macca always had the TT bars.

If I remember right Lessing won IM Lake Placid on the roadie?. Not sure which event Chrissie won.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw some mountain bikes at NOLA 70.3 and there was even a lady with a basket on the front of her bike.

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Re: 140.6 on a road bike? [DunnRight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think every IM has a mandatory MTB/basket-bike quota that has to be met - doesn't it? Along with Croc wearers of course.
Thanks for replying but I'm more interested in the pointy end of the field, not the box-tickers/survivors.

DunnRight wrote:
I saw some mountain bikes at NOLA 70.3 and there was even a lady with a basket on the front of her bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will probably never see a road bike in the pro racks at an Ironman race.

And judging by the AG racks at Kona, very, very few people at the pointy end of Ironman racing are riding road bikes, either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switching to the tri bike because all accounts say it will be more comfortable and faster for longer races. I am doing my first full this year.
Quote Reply