Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You think you suck at swimming? I gopro'd myself..*updated with more suckiness* [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should quit saying how much you suck - even titling your video about you being crappy. You're giving yourself permission to suck and making your current swim form part of your identity. It is now a self-fulfilling prophecy and much more difficult to change. The person that goes around talking about how terrible a runner they are won't put in any work to become a better runner because that's the opposite of how they see reality.

You shouldn't say you're awesome, but you should definitely eliminate all the negative talk about your swim. Since it's changeable, it's just a thing. Not something to repeat over and over again.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: You think you suck at swimming? I gopro'd myself..*updated with more suckiness* [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh i dont give permission for myself to suck, im just facing facts based on my times etc. Im an ok cyclist/runner (not by the twich standards probably), but the swim is holding me back. That will change in time. But i digress you are prob right. I just find it a frustrating dicipline to master.
Quote Reply
Re: You think you suck at swimming? I gopro'd myself [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Practice with a low breathing pattern, maybe 5-7-5-7. Force yourself into a great catch with both arms. Its ok to slip once or twice per lenght, I know that my breakout stroke from the turns often slip, but I always try to fix it. Here every stroke with your left is bad. Practice on land if you cant do it at all in the water.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: You think you suck at swimming? I gopro'd myself [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
Practice with a low breathing pattern, maybe 5-7-5-7. Force yourself into a great catch with both arms. Its ok to slip once or twice per lenght, I know that my breakout stroke from the turns often slip, but I always try to fix it. Here every stroke with your left is bad. Practice on land if you cant do it at all in the water.

May I ask as to how this is going to improve his stroke?
Quote Reply
Re: You think you suck at swimming? I gopro'd myself..*updated with more suckiness* [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
oh i dont give permission for myself to suck, im just facing facts based on my times etc. Im an ok cyclist/runner (not by the twich standards probably), but the swim is holding me back. That will change in time. But i digress you are prob right. I just find it a frustrating dicipline to master.

You're still doing it. It may or may not be true, but you're setting it in concrete by repeating it over and over again.

I'm not saying that you should live in denial, it's just a negative reinforcement every time you say it. Fast folks believe they can/should be fast first, then work to get there. You're undermining your self confidence and when you need to put in the extra work, you'll refer to your own self image (sucky) and excuse yourself from the room. It's classic sports psychology. Google fixed vs. growth mindset. Lots of it applies to sport.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: You think you suck at swimming? I gopro'd myself [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He strokes awful every time he breathes. I bet it is because he is focusing on getting air, not on his stroke itself. Doing strokes with the bad arm without breathing will allow focusing on the stroke itself. And many repetitions later, the good stroke mechanics should be the norm and easily maintained. The breathing restriction also forces a low oxygen consumption ie easy swimming. Full focus on the stroke.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: You think you suck at swimming? I gopro'd myself [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to breathe bilatteraly and had the same issue. Over-rotate to breathe. For some reason i picked up single sided breathing every 2 and got marginally quicker, perhaps because i didnt blow up as much. Now when i revert to bilatteral i cant hold the speed for very long, no matter what the stroke looks like, because i find i gasp for air. Using the snorkel i can get a better stroke down, so i see what your saying.
Quote Reply
Re: You think you suck at swimming? I gopro'd myself..*updated with more suckiness* [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

You're still doing it. It may or may not be true, but you're setting it in concrete by repeating it over and over again.

I'm not saying that you should live in denial, it's just a negative reinforcement every time you say it. Fast folks believe they can/should be fast first, then work to get there. You're undermining your self confidence and when you need to put in the extra work, you'll refer to your own self image (sucky) and excuse yourself from the room. It's classic sports psychology. Google fixed vs. growth mindset. Lots of it applies to sport.

haha tex your mindf'n me...my mindset isnt negative when i train/race. The worst thoughts that creep into my mind when swimming in a race is 'yeh, get a few yards on me, thats ok, coz all you will be hearing is my disc very soon', that sort of b/s...I actually enjoy the swim, i find it kind of peaceful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't watch the whole thing, but what immediately stands out is why are you still doing the video with the pullbuoy?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why is the second video done with a pull boey? i like the video, give good angles but hard to comment on if you kept take the boey and hiding the issue in your swimming. my opinion.

there is lots of good and some adjustement could gain you significant time

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: You think you suck at swimming? I gopro'd myself..*updated with more suckiness* [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok...correction! i saw you without a pull boey!

now, you need to go to my tip of the week 6....you really need to get that buttand legs higher.

For your arms, you need to get out of the water....laying down on a bench, and bend that elbow properly at the entry. Have someone help you. trying to get it done outside of the water and feel good doing it before hoping to get it done in the water... you are getting there and it will make a world of difference in your swimming.

You are someone that dosnt like to kick and i think that s why you like swimming with the boey. The issue is you are using the boey to correct your body position instead while many good swimmers use the boey to simple focus on there stroke but already have a good body position. My recommendation for you would be to pass lots of time away from the boey until you can have your core engage...feel the rotation initiated from the hips and the body solid like a iron bar...everything moving together. Once you have a strong catch/pull, you will be able to move into a swimmer with not much kick but that can be very fast non the less!

kept the good work

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: You think you suck at swimming? I gopro'd myself [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you have your butt riding that low with a pullbuoy?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please please please stop saying that you suck. Keep a positive attitude towards your swim. You'll have much better results.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”― Henry Ford
Quote Reply
Re: You think you suck at swimming? I gopro'd myself [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest I don't like that particular bouy it's actually too big and spreads the legs quite wide... Sans pull is in the clip so u can see how low I go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it the HUUB supersize bouy? I will watch.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: You think you suck at swimming? I gopro'd myself [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah it's a speedo but it is hoooge
Quote Reply

Prev Next