Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
1. My wife got me the Evade for Xmas. Not wearing a gift from my wife is not an option.

2. I like the way I look in it, but this is a secondary concern because I look good in anything.
3. I am racing a few hot races, including St. Croix, and want something that is fast but not too hot.
4. Going faster in training is fun. I don't like slowing myself down in order to work harder. That's why God created the power meter.

I'll address these as they apply:
  1. Forgot to bring the aero lid to my first Ironman - best way ever to get the wife to demand you buy gifts for yourself. This was genius in hindsight and will employ the same strategy next time I need any triathlon gear.
  2. I look good in anything except my Giro A2
  3. Raced my first draft legal race this year. Finished 23rd out of 47 "athletes". Without my Evade, may have not been in the top 50% - I'm still ELITE.
  4. Never understood why people love the idea of going slower while training. If I didn't want to go fast, I would be riding my Mtn bike because it's a hell of a lot more fun than going slow on skinny tires.

Last one for me is that I can't hear for shit with my ears covered in my A2. Unlike the rest of you cyclists, my strength between T1 and T2 is getting passed, so it's nice to be able to hear people screaming "On your left!" before I feel the rumbling of their disc wheels as they fly by me.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You dropped $500 on the Wing57 without trying it on?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just cannot bring myself to wear a "official" aero helmet and honestly that will not be the difference in a podium for me. It is bad enough packing my fat ass into a tri-suit. I have always used my Giro Atmos, plus July/August in GA is sweltering, ventilation is a must. Took my evade out for its first ride last Saturday and loved everything about it. I am sure they are not for everyone but for me it was a happy median between the two.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [coyote39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coyote39 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I would consider it. The reason being that I am minimalist but like to have two of somethings like a helmet in case something breaks or a sticker were to fall out. Having a Giro Air Attack would allow me to have a non-aero helmet for training, but not sacrifice as much aero in a back up situation. The yellow one has the benefit of being one of the highest viz helmets I have seen and that is always good for training.

This is why I got mine.

Same here. I won't race in it but will train in it so I stick out like a sore thumb to all the dumbass rural Texas drivers.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Apr 23, 14 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiroCowboy wrote:
But why aren't you and other Specialized pros utilizing the fuel cell on your Shivs? Does the tunnel disprove the claimed "watts saved"?

CC

FuelCell doesn't make the bike faster. It just doesn't add drag. So if you don't have anything to carry in it, there's no reason to use it. I carry my spares in a saddle bag, which according to testing actually may even reduce drag vs. no saddle bag (by about 1w)

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappster,

Which saddle bag do you use.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like Rapp said, the nicest thing about the Evade is how light it is. I have a A2 helmet, but it's a large size and heavy. Somehow my head was able to fit in a S/M Evade and the weight difference was easily noticeable. I think it's much more comfortable too. Top it off with my triathlon team getting a deal for the Evade, it was easy to make the Evade the choice for me. I know it might not be the best helmet for everyone, but it is a great helmet. I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:

I just don't get it. Why would a triathlete train or race in an aero road helmet like the Giro Air Attack or the Specialized Evade? It's definitely not faster than a regular aero helmet for the vast majority of people. It's not cooler than a standard road helmet. Is it about the best combination of ventilation/coolness/aero (like the IMAZ Rapp picture above, likely limited in helmet selection because of sponsorship), although lots of aero helmets can come pretty close here as well. Is it for Strava KOM hunters to be just a little bit faster out training? Do people just like the look of them? Maybe helmets in general are going in this direction, but for now I'm trying to figure out a good reason to wear one.
I think wearing new gear or riding their disk or such things sometimes gives the person a better place to be. They enjoy it, they are happy, they leave their world for awhile and become someone else. I'm all for people getting high in this way.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
Rappster,

Which saddle bag do you use.

Thanks.

SciCon Phantom 230

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
coyote39 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I would consider it. The reason being that I am minimalist but like to have two of somethings like a helmet in case something breaks or a sticker were to fall out. Having a Giro Air Attack would allow me to have a non-aero helmet for training, but not sacrifice as much aero in a back up situation. The yellow one has the benefit of being one of the highest viz helmets I have seen and that is always good for training.

This is why I got mine.

Same here. I won't race in it but will train in it so I stick out like a sore thumb to all the dumbass rural Texas drivers.

I just got mine in the mail yesterday. ordered for the same reason. got a really good deal on it too, I'm guessing because their new helmet is coming out in a few months that is supposed to be more aero and better cooling.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
1. My wife got me the Evade for Xmas. Not wearing a gift from my wife is not an option.
2. I like the way I look in it, but this is a secondary concern because I look good in anything.
3. I am racing a few hot races, including St. Croix, and want something that is fast but not too hot.
4. Going faster in training is fun. I don't like slowing myself down in order to work harder. That's why God created the power meter.

LOL #1... #aintitthetruth

I'm trying to decide if there's any reason to upgrade my S-Works Prevail to an aero lid for road / training days. I still wear an Advantage 2 to race and can't see that changing anytime soon.

-Alex

Quote Reply

Prev Next