Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just moved to the South Bay
Quote | Reply
I just relocated to the Sunnyvale/Santa Clara and looking for places to ride/run. I've done a few searches but am suffering from too much information. Lightheir et al can you give me the quick and dirty on the riding scene???
Quote Reply
Re: Just moved to the South Bay [nstearns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, welcome.

For running, Rancho San Antonio.

For biking, you can follow Foothill up to Stanford (flat) an then go to Portola Valley/Woodside (flat or hills...do Old La Honda), or go the other way (past Steven's Creek Res) and climb up to Skyline.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree w above. Also you can continue to Canada Road to Skyline (where it meets 92) from Woodside for rolling TT practice. Or ride south from where you are to Los Gatos through Saratoga on route 9 for more rolling aerobar action. Yes, there are a few stops on the latter, but it's not that many.

So much great climbing, both modest to get over the Santa Cruz mountains and more serious up Mt. Hamilton.

Only thing that lacks in this area is the relatively limited open water swims. But there is some, and if you're willing to drive a bit the open water in Santa Cruz and San Francisco is a ton of fun.
Last edited by: jjcha: Apr 22, 14 20:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly I think there are almost too many rides to talk about and several cycling clubs and tri clubs. There is a century ride may 10th(I care classic) which might be a good south valley intro and on several weekends later centuries on the peninsula and Santa Cruz county. Anyway have fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some nice rides include Hawk Hill just off the Bay Bridge and Page Mill Road just off Stanford's campus.

Skyline is a bit dodgy. Be careful.
Quote Reply
Re: Just moved to the South Bay [slowshortround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great responses. I'll be sure to check out the routes soon. I know you guys said that there are too many cycling clubs to mention, but does anyone have a favorite? Thanks again for all the info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to to the area! It's like triathlon heaven here (ok, more like cycling heaven) but the housing prices will kill you.

All suggestions above are great - check them ALL out.

The Silicon Valley Triathlon Club does a group ride on Saturdays from the CUpertion Bike Shop on Foothill ave (they recently moved) - wheels roll @ 8AM, and they don't scrutinize your membership so feel free to join them for some mellow rides just to get a feel for the more popular loops. (Not a fast ride, probably slightly faster than social pace despite all the fancy schmancy bikes.)

Any ride up to Skyline Blvd from Saratoga to Woodside and beyond will be excellent.

http://www.westernwheelers.org/...urces/BA_Climbs.html
Quote Reply
Re: Just moved to the South Bay [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Lightheir that link you sent is awesome. Thanks for the link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for the Silicon Valley Tri Club, great bunch of guys and girls.

Also check out the Los Gatos Bicycle Racing Club. Despite the name, most members don't race - but they do do great group rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Just moved to the South Bay [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
The Silicon Valley Triathlon Club does a group ride on Saturdays from the CUpertion Bike Shop on Foothill ave (they recently moved) - wheels roll @ 8AM
… except that the ride (generally) leaves from the old store location.

Join the club to get the workout emails (incl. swim/run/spin/…)
Quote Reply