Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Converting Powertap SL to ANT+
Quote | Reply
Just impulse popped on a set of HED Jet wheels on ebay before they disappeared . The price was better than ok and I've been searching for a month or so. Bonus, the rear 60 is laced on a powertap SL. Bummer, it's the wired version, and I use a 310xt on my bike. I had an ANT powertap over the winter but sold it to get get aero wheels for this years race season. I'm psyched to have a powertap and race wheels at a price I can afford! But, I definitely want to convert this setup to ANT. It is possible, right? And if so how much does it cost, and what's the process? Do I have to send the wheel to Saris or will they send me what I need? Thanks for the advice ST.ers . Cheers. - Jeff

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Converting Powertap SL to ANT+ [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll have to send it in, and they will replace the guts. Several of my friends did this and are very happy with the results. Got brand new G3 internals at a great "upgrade" price.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting Powertap SL to ANT+ [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you happen to know the upgrade price?

Quote Reply
Re: Converting Powertap SL to ANT+ [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$350 - included return shipping when I did it in October last year.

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Converting Powertap SL to ANT+ [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who do you have to know or what do you have to say to get this "upgrade"? Over the years I've seen references to this upgrade in several online forums, but I've called or emailed them directly a couple of times and I've always been told that such an upgrade doesn't exist.

What's the secret to get it?
Quote Reply
Re: Converting Powertap SL to ANT+ [wmoore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had picked up a SL + hub laced to a Mavic Open pro at a swap meet for $75 last year.

The zero offset was way off from ~810, and when I called Cycleops tech support, they offered the upgrade option instead of a repair. (I don't remember the name of the person at Cycleops, sorry.) It took about 1 week from when I sent it in to when I saw it back w/ new g3 internals and a 1 year warranty.

This only applied for the SL+. My older wired PT with the external sending unit was not a candidate for the upgrade.

There is a fair bit of discussion on this point in the PowerTap thread on this forum, too.

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Converting Powertap SL to ANT+ [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ah, I think the + in the SL+ makes the difference. I still have the old wired SL which refuses to die (not that I'm complaining, much). I've seen so many horror stories of people having water problems with them, but mine just keeps on chugging through everything I throw at it. I just can't justify spending a bunch of money on a wireless version when the one I have still works great and I already have two harnesses on the two bikes I regularly ride.

Thanks for the info,

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not all hubs can be upgraded - I had an SL that was upgraded last year for $350 - only took about a week.

Here is their number by phone: (800) 246-5975 Monday - Friday from 8 a.m.- 4:45 p.m. CST. When you tell them the model you have then you will find out if it is an option to upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wmoore wrote:
Who do you have to know or what do you have to say to get this "upgrade"? Over the years I've seen references to this upgrade in several online forums, but I've called or emailed them directly a couple of times and I've always been told that such an upgrade doesn't exist.

What's the secret to get it?

Here is my response from Saris.

Hey Jeff,

So our overhaul is 350 dollars. For that we take all of the internals out of your hub and put in all new G3 internals. So that is all new power measuring parts the same ones that are in our G3 hub we also replace the axle and bearings as well new 11spd compatible sram/shimano freehub if that this what you are using or a new campy one. To set up the return I will just need your shipping address then when you get a chance give us a call for credit card information. As far time frame once we get the wheel it is usually 2-4 business days. Finally because we see this as a new hub we place a one year warranty on the electronics of the hub.

Thanks

Quote Reply