Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [TriDav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the S5 for the sole purpose of runing it on my bike and thus replacing my Garmin. I use IPbike and its VERY powerful software.

Screen glare is not an issue whatsoever. I rode for 2 hours with screen on bright and ant+ power, cadence and HR with no worries about battery drain and confident this would work for a 4 hour ride.

I could not be any more pleased. If you want to see a pics of my 1st mockup there are a few pics on Flicker

Ultimately i mounted in on top of the bar and will build a mount where it will sit horizontal in front of my BTA and will take more pictures when i do. I'll also take it on a 3+ hour ride and chart the exact battery usage.
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an S4 and now an S5.

Ant+ works great. I use it for Qalvin and it works exactly as it should.
I've also used IpBike when I left my garmin at home. No issues there either.

The major selling point for me was really simple: There's a cover over the USB port. I was forever getting sweat into there on my S4 and would have to use contact cleaner to get rid of the corrosion. (I don't want a bulky life-proof case and didn't always have my plastic bag (silly) handy).
The s5 has a nifty little cover that only get's opened once a day when I plug it in at night.

I like the phone a lot. My wife constantly claims she wants to switch out her iphone, but she feels locked in due to music and app purchases.

Some other cool features:
1. Emergency locator. (if you have cell services) 3 quick pushes of the power button will text pre-determined people your location and pictures from both the front and back cameras. sent a "practice message" to the wife and worked perfectly
2. The HRM is gimicky and not very useful but a fun "my phone is better than yours" feature.

Hopefully soon Strava will start to use Ant+ recording in their app. That would make commuting to work less electronics intensive ;)

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Apr 23, 14 6:58
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent !

How is the battery ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing the S5 will last over 4 hours. I'll find out more this weekend. Great thing is you can have a spare battery to pop in after the ride (if needed). Overall the batter life on the S5 is very good.
Last edited by: dannyh: Apr 26, 14 16:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the S4 with the Ant+. I normally use my Garmin for battery life and since it is easier to carry on the run, but I set up the Galaxy when I sent my Garmin back in to get a refurbished. I used ipBike and it was ok. I also use Qalvin. I recently found and downloaded uBike from BroxTech, (https://play.google.com/...=com.plusot.bikesens) but have not had a chance to really use it. It looks like it will track/display all the relevant data and upload it to the web real time. I normally use a normal GPS tracking app when my wife is out riding alone but the idea of being able to see all the Ant+ data and her location seems intriguing to me.

Has anybody else used this app yet and have any experience to share?

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm due for a new phone next month and would be interested in the possibility of using the S5 on my bike. I saw the S5 Active press releases last week (below) and thought, "nice, even better".

While the Galaxy S5 is pretty hardy — it’s dust and water resistant enough to meet the IP67 specification — the Galaxy S5 Active goes a step further. The Active is more tolerant of variances in vibration, temperature, humidity, rain and altitude, meeting the US Military 810G spec. Since the device is aimed at the active lifestyle, it includes a one-touch button that launches the phone’s outdoor activity apps. Inside the hardy exterior are the same guts as the original Galaxy S5:

I have an old Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro that's a tough unit, survived a jump off the bike at 25mph, fell 4' into the pool, and no issues with the summer humidity (rain) (FL) and sweat being in my jersey or Desoto tri-bib side pocket.

Question, can you race with a phone being the head unit on your bike?

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally think the S5 is too big for a head unit but its sure easy to read when mounted to the aerobars. :)

The S5 Mini is supposed to be released soon and that seems like it would be a much better size for cycling purposes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next