Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe adds 70.3 [iheartfestina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iheartfestina wrote:
They can't even fill the full! This is the bell dinging the death of an Ironman.

I hear this year there is a free entry to Kona if you find Fredo's body during the swim.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe adds 70.3 [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
though they may have finally addressed the issues, their is clearly a lack of confidence in this event as seen by the registration.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe adds 70.3 [Goldenbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is a great idea to add a 1/2. I am leaning pretty heavily towards signing up next week for the half-IM now that they have that option. Always wanted to go to Lake Tahoe - now I have an excuse; plus there are pretty cheap flights, and I can use tri-bike transport so I don't have to deal with the pain of taking my bike on the plane with me. The 8:00 a.m. start for the 1/2 is also a big plus in my book. The article about how scenic a course this is, makes me really want to go.

Can anyone recommend the best hotel that is closest to everything? Or closest to swim start? Is it a pain to get to the swim start from the hotels?

Also do I need a rental car?

And lastly, though I am sure if I check there are 1000 posts about this - road bike or tri bike?

Really, I think it is a great idea to have half-IM options at some IMs. I've been doing this sport for 20 years and I love to travel for races. I have done 4 IM's and mostly hated each one, did terribly, felt bad about myself for it, and felt like I had brain fog for 2 months after each IM. It just feels unhealthy; at least for me. No real desire to do another IM (I hope I can stick to that, but it is hard to completely swear off IMs). I have done about 15 half-IM's and pretty much loved every one of them, felt good about myself, did well in some - not so well in others, but it is easy to get back on the horse after. I do love traveling for cool races, but it seems like most of the very cool races are IM distance now. I don't think I am alone in these thoughts based on the number of 'quitting IM', 'burned out from tri', etc. posts on slowtwitch. Heck, if they announced 70.3 Whistler, I would probably also sign up right away. 70.3 Cozumel in November would be pretty cool (though I guess that race generally sells out eventually anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe adds 70.3 [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon wrote:
I think it is a great idea to add a 1/2. I am leaning pretty heavily towards signing up next week for the half-IM now that they have that option. Always wanted to go to Lake Tahoe - now I have an excuse; plus there are pretty cheap flights, and I can use tri-bike transport so I don't have to deal with the pain of taking my bike on the plane with me. The 8:00 a.m. start for the 1/2 is also a big plus in my book. The article about how scenic a course this is, makes me really want to go.

Can anyone recommend the best hotel that is closest to everything? Or closest to swim start? Is it a pain to get to the swim start from the hotels?

Also do I need a rental car?

And lastly, though I am sure if I check there are 1000 posts about this - road bike or tri bike?

Really, I think it is a great idea to have half-IM options at some IMs. I've been doing this sport for 20 years and I love to travel for races. I have done 4 IM's and mostly hated each one, did terribly, felt bad about myself for it, and felt like I had brain fog for 2 months after each IM. It just feels unhealthy; at least for me. No real desire to do another IM (I hope I can stick to that, but it is hard to completely swear off IMs). I have done about 15 half-IM's and pretty much loved every one of them, felt good about myself, did well in some - not so well in others, but it is easy to get back on the horse after. I do love traveling for cool races, but it seems like most of the very cool races are IM distance now. I don't think I am alone in these thoughts based on the number of 'quitting IM', 'burned out from tri', etc. posts on slowtwitch. Heck, if they announced 70.3 Whistler, I would probably also sign up right away. 70.3 Cozumel in November would be pretty cool (though I guess that race generally sells out eventually anyway).

There is not hotel that is closest to everything. Swim start is Kings Beach. Finish is in squaw valley (17 miles, ~30-40 minutes away). You will need a car, because you have to dropoff your t1 and bike at one location (swim) and your t2 bag at another location (t2/finish). If you stay in squaw valley, you can take a shuttle over to the swim start in the morning (take an early shuttle, not the last one, so you actually have time to spare in transition in the morning). I stayed in Tahoe city and had a family member drive me to the swim start in the morning. There was a lot of traffic near the swim start, so again, getting there early is better than late. They were there to pick me up at the finish. If you are alone, I would recommend squaw village but have a car so you can drop your bike/t1 bag easily, then after the race, everything is in squaw valley that you need to pickup.

Tri bike, no question. Yes, there are some tough climbs, but most of the climbing is condensed into very steep, short (mileage wise) climbs, so the vast majority of the course is flat, or slightly downhill (the entire stretch from squaw to truckee is an average of about -1% grade, about 8-9 miles) so there is plenty of time to get into and stay aero and take advantage of the reduced wind resistance at altitude. The entire beginning of the course until you get to truckee (23 miles) is flat or slightly downhill except for one small hill in Dollar point (5 minutes) that you will probably sit up for, and a few small roller bumps that you won't need to get out of aero for. Brockway descent is incredibly fast, if you aren't afraid, you will easily spin out your gears, but its just one big slow right turn, so you can get in an aero tuck and just ride it out to kings beach without needing to touch the brakes or steer from the bullhorns.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe adds 70.3 [kamakazitp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kamakazitp nailed the course description. I would add that while many people complained that they didn't have enough teeth in the large ring of their rear cassette, nobody complained that the large ring in the rear cassette was too heavy. It's worth the 80 bucks for a climbing gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Map my ride makes it look like the 3 miles from the Northstar entrance to the top of Brockaway averages 6.7%. Does that sound correct to you? And is that a pretty steady grade or does it vary quite a bit?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe adds 70.3 [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you go by highlands view road (the next road after north star rd, and last years exit from the North Star area), the climb to brockway begins. It starts out around 5% grade and then gradually gets steeper and steeper up to around 11% near the top, which shallows out for the last 100-200 yards to the "summit". It's not pitchy at all. It just gets harder the whole way, so if you blow your load at the bottom where it's "easy", you will be sad. IMO, you should bike the first mile or so "easy" that way you can settle in to the gradually increasing grade. I saw a few people pass me early up brockway only to repass them near the top and they didn't look good.

If you are doing the 70.3, you likely won't have to be as cautious, cause you don't have as much climbing in north star this year, and you don't have to do the set twice. Still, it's a three mile climb that doesn't give you any breaks. If you know what you're in for, it's not that bad.
Last edited by: kamakazitp: Apr 24, 14 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I actually like long sustained climbs like that, we have a few good long climbs of over 6 or 7 miles here that gain 2000 feet+, but most aren't quite that steep (11%). Doing the Full.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe adds 70.3 [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing the full last year was great. Looks a little easier this year with the bike change.

Make sure you have the proper gearing for the bike so you have legs left for the run. All the matters is total time, not
bike time. Since I passed 400 folks on the run, guess my pacing, gearing and training was a little better than a lot of folks, and I am old.

Leaning to doing the half this year. At least with just one loop, one can open it up a little more and go for it. Tri teams are supposed to be able to register tomorrow.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After volunteering last year (too injured to compete) and observing the very unusual weather, I'm in for the 70.3 this year. Our club had an early-bird registration link. Normally this is the nicest time of year to be at the lake, perfect weather for wetsuit swimming. If you are on the fence about the WTC event, check out the three day triathlon that puts the swim, bike and run on three consecutive days. I did that in 2007 and had a really fun couple of days.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply

Prev Next