Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best "endurance" bike under $3,000? [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out VeloVie - http://www.velovie.com

Really nice bikes, top level components and they cost a lot less than anything else.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love love love my Ridley Helium.

Competitive has what I consider to be crazy good deals right now.

Ultegra build is $2599

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...6MTg6Y2NDYXQxMDAxNzE

Or get the even lighter non ISP version with Red for $3499

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...6MTM6Y2NDYXQxMDAxNzE

There's no way you can go wrong or be disappointed with one of these deals.
Quote Reply
Re: Best "endurance" bike under $3,000? [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camaleon wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
An S2 with good wheels and tires will be every bit as comfortable and light as all of the bikes you've mentioned. Plus, it will be a more aero.

Almost anything will be more comfortable than the Dual you're used to riding.

I personally find the ride and performance of the "endurance" bikes you've listed to be underwhelming, and I've test ridden most of them.

so u think Fabian Cancellara is going with the wrong bike (Domane)? Doesn't seem to slow him down at all tho.

As bad an idea as it is to base what you ride on what a particular pro rides, you do realize that Fabian Cancellara is not riding the standard Domane, right? He rides the Domane Classics Edition, which has a much, much more aggressive geometry than the Domane. In a 54, the Classics Edition has two more centimeters of reach and is almost five centimeters lower than the Domane. The geometry is even longer and lower than the H1 Madones. He also uses a very long stem to get even more aggressive.

My whole point is that the OP is coming from riding a very aggressive, aluminum, triathlon bike. Almost anything will be more comfortable, and he may find that he doesn't like the upright feel or "damped" quality of ride of the endurance bikes from many manufacturers.
Quote Reply
Re: Best "endurance" bike under $3,000? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, sr!

but the decoupler and the forks are about the same; geometry wise and I am not sure if longer or shorter tho (prob shorter).

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference will basically be a placebo correlated with how much you spent on the bike and how much the bike shop talked up the bike. In real terms, any difference between carbon and aluminum would be less than simply lowering your tire pressure slightly. I presume you already have a carbon fork. It is really a bunch of hype and you're asking on a forum with a bunch of triathletes, a group notorious for throwing their money on whatever is the most expensive/"best." Go ask at an actual cycling forum like velopcipedesalon or thepaceline and I'm sure you'll confirm what I just said.

In fact, this whole thread is basically just everyone recommending essentially whatever bike they ride or just bought.

I own a really nice carbon bike that I put two years on, or probably 10,000 miles. Ended up getting an aluminum bike last season for crits and have put probably 3,000 miles on it so far with inferior components (Rival/Force versus Di2). I ride both interchangably and often and really cannot tell one iota of difference in road feel as they both have great geometry.

If you really want a bike that rides awesomely, the best suggestion in this thread was the very first response that you received, which only took four minutes and comes from a pretty respected source. Grab a CAAD10 or something. Won't be as sexy when you're out with all the people in their rapha jerseys and bikes with "S-WORKS" on the side, but it's one of the best riding bikes in the world and probably weighs 17lbs stock depending on size.
Quote Reply
Re: Best "endurance" bike under $3,000? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
camaleon wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
An S2 with good wheels and tires will be every bit as comfortable and light as all of the bikes you've mentioned. Plus, it will be a more aero.

Almost anything will be more comfortable than the Dual you're used to riding.

I personally find the ride and performance of the "endurance" bikes you've listed to be underwhelming, and I've test ridden most of them.

so u think Fabian Cancellara is going with the wrong bike (Domane)? Doesn't seem to slow him down at all tho.

As bad an idea as it is to base what you ride on what a particular pro rides, you do realize that Fabian Cancellara is not riding the standard Domane, right? He rides the Domane Classics Edition, which has a much, much more aggressive geometry than the Domane. In a 54, the Classics Edition has two more centimeters of reach and is almost five centimeters lower than the Domane. The geometry is even longer and lower than the H1 Madones. He also uses a very long stem to get even more aggressive.

My whole point is that the OP is coming from riding a very aggressive, aluminum, triathlon bike. Almost anything will be more comfortable, and he may find that he doesn't like the upright feel or "damped" quality of ride of the endurance bikes from many manufacturers.

^^^^ +1.

Formerly known SCENERYNW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the craftsmanship on the Team Tig Sl, a nice light steel bike you can have built with a low bottom bracket and relaxed geometry, mounts for fenders and a real pump, no freaking bb30 or integrated headsets, a bike you can enjoy for 10+ years

http://www.rocklobstercycles.com/frames/road/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
Anyone have opinions on this? Looks like Trek (domain), Felt (Z Series), Specialized (Roubaix) and Fuji (Gran Fondo) all have well-spec'ed entries in this market. Any of you more roadie-inclined folks have some advice? Looking for a comfortable long-distance bike with compacts, Ultegra (at least) groupset, etc.

I'm partial to the new Z.

I'm not sure what I thought was so funny, though.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Best "endurance" bike under $3,000? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, just went to Bike Religion to test a Z in a 54". They only had last year's Z85, but I think the geometry is the same. The fit was great. I wonder if they'd slap an 11/32 cassette on that thing if I ordered one through them like the Roubaix has?

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
Dave, just went to Bike Religion to test a Z in a 54". They only had last year's Z85, but I think the geometry is the same. The fit was great. I wonder if they'd slap an 11/32 cassette on that thing if I ordered one through them like the Roubaix has?

I'm guessing they would. If they won't, I'm sure a local SoCal dealer would.
The Z4 is on a promotional special at the moment and it comes with WiFli R/D and 32t cassette out of the box.

Wear those tires out this summer and treat yourself to some of these:

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we could banter all day about what is the best bike, but truth is for $3,000 you will have a lot to choose from. There really is no best bike, just the bike that suits you best. And to find that out, you have to go out and ride a lot of them.

I ride a Cannondale Carbon Synapse and love it. The Specialized Roubaix was actually too dampened for me and wasn't very responsive. I was enamored with it on paper but I hated it on the road. Other people love them. My husband has been really happy with his Wilier Izoard (Ultegra). To each their own.

Maybe an aluminum frame with a bit of carbon might be an option. Sometimes just a little dampening is just what people need. An older guy in my bike club loves this bike for big rides:
http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/roubaix-11
It's not an Ultegra, but you can always upgrade the components.

If you will be putting some short clip-ons and racing regularly, look for a bike with a bit more aggressive drop between seat and the handlebars rather than having them at the same height. Clip-ons on a road bike are not ideal in terms of dialing in the right hip angle and aero profile, but they can certainly help. There will still be a speed benefit if you plonk them on a totally plush setup but the geometry would be so different from your TT bike you might regret the purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Best "endurance" bike under $3,000? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's tire clearance like on the carbon z series Dave? Parigis run 28-29ish, no?
Quote Reply
Re: Best "endurance" bike under $3,000? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
What's tire clearance like on the carbon z series Dave? Parigis run 28-29ish, no?

27mm for those Challenge tires. It depends on the wheel stiffness and your interest in riding in mud. I love the 27mm Challenge tires but you could probably squeeze a tubeless Hutch or Schwalbe in there also @28mm.
We'll have something special for guys that want to run 30mm FMB a la OMQS in '15.

-SD

Quote Reply

Prev Next