Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

running in Toronto
Quote | Reply
I'll be visiting Toronto next weekend and wanted some ideas for a nice Saturday run route 10-15 miles. I'll be staying northish, near Sheppard Ave and Bathurst St. I'll likely just run a big simple loop so I don't get lost. But I see lots of parks on the maps and would much rather run somewhere interesting. suggestions anyone?

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: running in Toronto [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's been a while since i lived in toronto, but here are some thoughts:

-take the bathurst street car to the bottom of bathurst street and run the waterfront. great trails for several miles in both directions.
-run laps around queen's park. if memory serves it's almost exactly 800m, which is handy if you're doing repeats.
-head out on bloor to high park - big, pretty park with some hills in it - it's easy to put together a longer run there.

anyway, have a good trip. toronto's a fun city.
-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a car? There is some really nice running along the Humber River which is about 5 miles west if you. If you parked somewhere around Sheppard and Weston you can follow the river path either west or north from there for some decent running. I think the trails are all numbered so there is likely a bike map online somewhere that would help with navigating (staying on the right trail). Don't go south from that location, trail goes street level for awhile in a crap hole of a neighborhood (not dangerous, just unpleasant to run through). If you drive a little further south to Lawrence and Weston you could run south along the Humber more or less all the way to the waterfront.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can go south just a little bit on Bathurst, here 3 routes that I love to do. It's nice loops and you out of the craziness of running in a city.
They are, most of the time, in the ravine and you don't feel that you're in the middle of a city.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/...op-2-route-112306773
http://www.mapmyrun.com/...cle-3-route-75851946
http://www.mapmyrun.com/...cle-2-route-75850950

Like the first reply said, the other easy way is to hit the lake shore (East or West but I prefer westbound) and run, you can't get lost.

Enjoy Toronto!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As morbid as it sounds, the Mount Pleasant Cemetery at Davisville + Yonge is a great closed course where many cyclists and runners go. The Martin Goodman Trail is by far the best place to run however as others have mentioned. It's picturesque with the water to one side and good trails beneath your feet but it can get a bit windy.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right by Earl Bales - that is a great park for running. I used to live up there and would do loops of the park. It's a nice undulating route with a couple of steep hills.

As suggested, Lakeshore is great and the Mt Pleasant Cemetery sees a lot of runners everyday (myself included!).

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: running in Toronto [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
it's been a while since i lived in toronto, but here are some thoughts:

-take the bathurst street car to the bottom of bathurst street and run the waterfront. great trails for several miles in both directions.

For the love of god do not take the streetcar down bathhurst. This will take forever and in my opinion is not worth it. In general getting from Sheppard to the lakeshore will take a long time whether you drive or transit. If you drive, parking can be pricey or hard to find.

The surrounding park system is decent, although I can't recommend a specific route as I when I have run up there, I just tagged along with some buddies.
Quote Reply
Re: running in Toronto [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everybody. I've got great options. I'll pack my cold(er) weather gear and see you saturday , early

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a retail chain called The Running Room with outlets all over the City. They hold runs every sunday morning (usually 8:30 start). There's a store on Yonge Street, north of Sheppard, about a mile or so away. It's a group that runs multiple distance runs anywhere from 5 to 20k, with multiple levels (not usually above 5min k). They use a 10+1 style, there's a lot (a lot) of talking. So if social is your thing they're a good bet. On the longer runs the last 5 k can get competitive. (I don't work there, but I do sometimes shop there, more if they sold Hokas)

Otherwise look up the belt line, run south on Bathurst (a bit brutal) or Avenue road (nicer scenery) until you reach it then do the loop and run back. If you go the loop route, go through Mount Pleasant Cemetery take the Moore Park exit, also called Mud Creek, follow it around to Mount Pleasant, continue the loop on the other side back to Yonge street, pick up the belt line back to Bathurst, go North.
Don't worry about all the cemeteries, in Toronto, once they're dead they tend to stay that way, so no zombies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a link with some popular routes - look under 'North York' to start.
http://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?id=2427

Alternative plan: Rob Ford announced he's running again. Maybe you could ask if you can join him?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: running in Toronto [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
think he'd share his stash?

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: running in Toronto [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone.

I did both, long run to the Humber river park one day and then some hills in Earl Bales. Nice place to live, but traffic sucks. Plus there was still some snow on Earl Bales. I get that its a ski hill and all, but its APRIL

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drop into the Running Room on Yonge st 4984 Yonge st ask for a map..... 416 229 1415 they will be glad to give you one... or hell next sunday is the Goodlife Toronto Marathon.... sign up for the Half and have some fun. starts at Yonge n Shepard area about 2 miles from you.
Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply