Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FTP test - 13 days before 70.3 [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normalised power is average power which places more of an emphasis on peaks right?

So like FTP, its not linear, you accumulate more NP the higher you go?

Both of the approaches just kinda do the same thing right?

Except that the method of riding like your legs feel relies a little more on athlete knowing their bodies, and using the meter as a guide to avoid the glycogen sapping anaerobic peaks?

Your explanation of red zones - short spikes for uphill sections or passing, then keeping it on the gas over the crest, then backing off for the downhills?
Combining this with an average to aim for can still work though right? As long as you keep time after the surge to recover? Or on the longer rises are you saying that its really better to avoid the surges as much as possible?
Obviously there is a lot of personal variability in applying this method, some people can push harder for longer and recover faster, others will blow up and ruin their run straight away?

Are you completely against aiming for an average? A safe bet would be to set a lower average and hold that and risk leaving something on the ride right?

I'm not a competitive age grouper, its my first race of this distance and I'm racing more against myself than against the other guys, so I won't be following surges of riders if they blow past me (if I can keep the car-chasing dog inside of me at bay).

What is VI? Vary Input?

Its about the entire journey, not just the moment you cross the line.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP test - 13 days before 70.3 [HendrikMDik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JohnnyO is talking about what he does with his athletes and how he trains them. It will not do you much good as you have not been training that way.

If I was you I would stick to 80% of FTP on flats, and try to stay around threshold on the climbs depending on the length. This will leave you freshest for your run. In future races you can up the power.

VI is Variability Index. It is NP/AP. A perfect VI would be where NP=AP or 1.00. Most amateurs try to stay at 1.05 or below depending on the course. The higher the number, the more surgy your ride was.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP test - 13 days before 70.3 [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers TT.

Quote Reply
Re: FTP test - 13 days before 70.3 [HendrikMDik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HendrikMDik wrote:

So like FTP, its not linear, you accumulate more NP the higher you go? no, FTP is a simple number of what you can hold for 60min. Ride hard for 60min, take the average, you got FTP.

Or on the longer rises are you saying that its really better to avoid the surges as much as possible? Yes, and i think it s gonna be the same advise for any other coaches, unless you are racing a draft legal race or racing pro and need to follow a hard move, you should avoid any surges and spikes in power as much as possible.

Obviously there is a lot of personal variability in applying this method, some people can push harder for longer and recover faster, others will blow up and ruin their run straight away? No, for a same level of fitness and preparation, two individual will react pretty much exactly the same way. For anyone, riding above FTP in a half ironman is something that is dangerous....big spike of power 150-200% of FTP on hills is costly for everyone. The longer you are on the course...the more costly it is....

Are you completely against aiming for an average? A safe bet would be to set a lower average and hold that and risk leaving something on the ride right? You have it right. That is a very valid way to do so. worst case scenario is 2/3rd of your ride into your half ironman, you realise how easy you been going and than perhaps your target numbers were too low... nothing stop you at this point from riding stronger on the last third of the ride and breaking the run course record afterward! low risk and smart racing.

i m not agasint aiming for a average. i know many athletes/coach like to use NP target number. My issue with it is: what happen if you arent at your best on race day? what if you got sick? had a sleepless night because of your crying baby, feeling tired, no taper, racing in hotter than usual condition etc. You might be chasing a average that is higher than what is optimal for the day. I prefer to let the athletes use there experience to determine what is proper to ride while using very specific and targeted limits. So, simply different approach and i prefer one over the other...

I'm not a competitive age grouper, its my first race of this distance and I'm racing more against myself than against the other guys, so I won't be following surges of riders if they blow past me (if I can keep the car-chasing dog inside of me at bay). Be the car chasing dog guy..... on the run!!! best of luck for your race!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at it this way. NP will quantify the equivalent impact that the ride had on your legs. AP is the actual energy generated. With wind and hills, a VI of 1.00 will not the the fastest to most efficient bike split. It may require riding at a lower average power and higher VI. Riding too easy up a hill is a missed opportunity as going faster has a smaller aero penalty than riding on a flat. Similarly, pushing hard downhill (after you've accelerated back up to speed) will have diminishing returns.

One simple thing to remember when riding hill. A hill starts after you've deaccelerated at the bottom and ends after you've accelerated back up to speed over the top. Unless it's a very short roller, pushing early and cutting power too soon is less efficient. You don't ever want to fight a "2 front war". Divide and conquer... battle the wind and hills independently. A power file on a hilly course will probably have a big spike at the bottom 1/2 of the hill, power levels off, then at the top it drops like a rock. Do that 50 times on hilly course and you're walking the run. It's probably why the relatively flat Kansas 70.3 run is considered so hard by many. It's usually hot and humid and many push too hard on all the rolling hills.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: FTP test - 13 days before 70.3 [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was that a reply to me???

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jonathan, that makes sense.

I meant to say TSS, not FTP. That TSS accumulates faster the harder you work. It lines up with the rest of what you are saying.

Quote Reply
Re: FTP test - 13 days before 70.3 [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So working around an average power output for the day, assume my 80% FTP target is applicable on race day, given the inherent day to day variability that Jonathan mentioned above, then going over that target is likely to carry a bigger penalty than staying below it.

I will need to work slightly harder going up the hill, then back off after the crest. But how much harder, and how much to back off?

There are some levels, like above mentioning 150 to 200% FTP that will be felt for minutes afterwards depending on recovery effort and time, but other efforts, like 10-20% increase that will not even be noticeable. Its probably something learnt by feeling right? I'd be curious to know if there is a formula that can be applied to long courses? Has it been discussed somewhere already?

I'm also lucky that Busselton is one of the flattest courses on the 70.3 circuit, with only 86m of total climb over the bike course :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next