Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Cozumel for first?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if this is a good race for a first ironman? It's really the only one still open this year that gives me time to train and that I have an open weekend for. Also my wife and I will have just hit ten years married so it could be an anniversary trip as well.
What do you think? Too much of a hassle logistically for a first?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel for first? [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you traveling from? The weather is great for a winter getaway if you're traveling from a cold climate. I think it's a great course for your first ironman, esp if you're a tad bit weak in the swim. The bike course is pretty but windy and non technical (completely flat - possibly boring for some). The run course is well supported with multiple loops which allows for decent spectating.

There are plenty of hotels in various price ranges. The people and the food are wonderful. I would recommend flying directly to Cozumel if possible. You can fly into cancun and do the ferry but allow for some extra time to travel. Let me know if you have any questions.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel for first? [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I'd be coming from the Dallas Texas area but by that time it will be pretty cool for our standards.

Good to know on the swim. I wouldn't say I'm weak as I am a good swimmer but it will definitely be the discipline that I will have the least training in. I work in Oklahoma for about 3 weeks per month and there is no water to train in where I'm at. When I'm home I can swim but obviously overall swim training will be lower volume than any plan will call for. Sucks but not much I can do about that.

Think I'm going to take the plunge. Wife seems to be on board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done IM Coz twice. Out of the 8 IMs I've done it's my favorite. The race logistics are not difficult at all. Even if you don't have a rental car it is easy and cheap to get around by taxi and if you aren't staying near the finish there are tons of taxis to get you back to your hotel or condo after the race. The locals are super friendly and supportive and the 3 loop run and bike course provides lots of support and chances for you to see your wife. I definitely agree with the other reply to fly directly into Cozumel - it may cost more but it is well worth it since it will cut off a huge amount of travel time and hassle. I can't speak to the hotels since I rented a condo both times, but our condos were very nice.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel for first? [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did imcz as my first ever IM last year. It was also my first marathon, and I wanted to deliver myself to the run as fresh as possible. The wind meant my ride wasn't as fast as I'd hoped (averaged 19.8mph!)... Wife enjoyed the vacation. I got there Thursday... If I did it again I'd get there Friday and stay a couple more days after the event ( to have fun after the race.) look for the ("official") thread from last year... Much good info there. Skip the Allegro.

Quote | Reply
It was my first IM last December. Things to note:

-- If the swim is an issue at all for you, this is the one to do. Especially now that you are swimming with the current (tail wind). Plus the water is super salty and you are much more buoyant. (I live in Hawaii an noticed a very big difference there) The water is just amazing.

-- The road is NOT a "freshly paved and very smooth" road on the bike course. It's a rough mess. I saw so much carnage on the road - even bottle cages! The only smooth part of the road is the part along the ocean and that's just hellish headwinds for about 15 miles. 3 times. Prepare for that.

-- Since the bike and run are multiple loops you CAN access your special needs bags on any of the loops. (but just the one time, they don't put your bag back on the rack, they toss it in a pile when you are done)

-- If it rains, and it probably will - expect the run course to flood instantly. And by flood I mean above ankle water depth. Put dry socks in both special needs bags if it matters to you.

-- IronMike doesn't call this race. And the system totally broke down for me. No finish line video. And if I didn't have my name in huge letters on my shirt, I would have gotten the generic "You and you are an Ironman" calls they were doing. They also ran out of food, there was vomit all over the recovery area, the official finishers photo was in front of a chain link fence AND they ran out of finishers shirts in my gender/size.

-- There were tequila shots on the run course. :-)

Denise
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel for first? [MrsTiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrsTiki wrote:
It was my first IM last December. Things to note:

-- If the swim is an issue at all for you, this is the one to do. Especially now that you are swimming with the current (tail wind). Plus the water is super salty and you are much more buoyant. (I live in Hawaii an noticed a very big difference there) The water is just amazing.

-- The road is NOT a "freshly paved and very smooth" road on the bike course. It's a rough mess. I saw so much carnage on the road - even bottle cages! The only smooth part of the road is the part along the ocean and that's just hellish headwinds for about 15 miles. 3 times. Prepare for that.

-- Since the bike and run are multiple loops you CAN access your special needs bags on any of the loops. (but just the one time, they don't put your bag back on the rack, they toss it in a pile when you are done)

-- If it rains, and it probably will - expect the run course to flood instantly. And by flood I mean above ankle water depth. Put dry socks in both special needs bags if it matters to you.

-- IronMike doesn't call this race. And the system totally broke down for me. No finish line video. And if I didn't have my name in huge letters on my shirt, I would have gotten the generic "You and you are an Ironman" calls they were doing. They also ran out of food, there was vomit all over the recovery area, the official finishers photo was in front of a chain link fence AND they ran out of finishers shirts in my gender/size.

-- There were tequila shots on the run course. :-)

Denise

haha, dang sounds amazing.

Well, I have bad news anyway. I am an engineer for a large oil field service company and we are assigned to certain rigs. When the rig is drilling a certain section of the well, we are working. We they aren't, we are off. So we usually end up working 25 days on and about 15 off but it varies. Anyways, because of this schedule they don't allow anyone to take vacation between Nov 21 and Dec 4 and between December 18 and Jan 2. That way there are no conflicts from choosing someone to have vacation during those holidays and denying someone else. So basically, if you're rig is not working then you get the holidays off but it is a complete crapshot at this point.
Anyways, I forgot all about that and sent my vacation request in today and got the call reminding me of this policy. Freaking sucks. I still technically could end up being off but it is just too much money and training time to risk finding out last minute I have to work.

So looks like I am SOL this year. I have never done a half so I am going to sign up for a local half distance race called the PrairieMan in September and then be ready to register for a good race for early 15 when it opens up. A race that I know I will be able to take vacation days for.

Thanks for the replies btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved Cozumel and I did it the first year, but my 5th IM.

Some questions:
  • Are you a confident swimmer? Some people have problems with a non wetsuit swim no matter how forgiving the calm buoyant saltwater is.
  • Are you comfortable in dealing with non-touristy Mexico? If you only go all-inclusive when you visit Mexico you are probably not ready for the lack of organization.
  • Can you reassemble and disassemble your own bike? This was the struggle for me, however I made it through even though I put the aerobar pads on backwards -- thank god for a pre-race ride.
  • Is your wife independent, especially if you have kids? You will be a mental mess, irritable, and self-centered. She needs to be able to float along and mostly entertain herself.
  • Are you a marginal finisher? Sounds crass, but I finished my first IM and then bike all my gear back to the hotel. If you are going to be a late finisher or a medical tenter I would avoid an event with more challenging logistics. At Cozumel I lost my wife at the finish and biked the 10K back to the hotel in pitch black.
  • Can you deal with nutritional variances? We had weird Gatorade flavors, missing nutrition, and some marginal bike hand-ups at aid stations. If you are rigid this might not be your event.
  • Generally can you deal with things not going quite to plan? I drove to my first IM so I could bring everything including the kitchen sink. Now, I could probably do at least a HIM showing up in street clothes and using whatever is on hand -- no brag just I am less flustered by adversity than I used to be.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depending on your schedule, I've been eyeing IM Australia….it looks VERY well organized. But not as "viewer" friendly as it's a point to point on the run.
Quote Reply