Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Boston Marathon Locals
Quote | Reply

I always have my wife drop me off at the South St. and take the bus to the athlete village. I was thinking that since we aren't doing baggage that I would have her drive me to the state park, where I understand the busses drop off nearer the start line. Does anyone think this is a bad idea? Any reason to go to the village? Seems like it will just be a bigger line for the restroom and a chance to get your feet wet on the grass.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Boston Marathon Locals [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2011 and 2013 my wife dropped me off at HSP. The bus from the park does drop off about a block from the start corals. Since we can't bring bags to check this year and you can go so much later to the start via HSP, I think that would be fine. You can use the portapotties at the grocery store and just wait around the start instead of in Athlete's village. This year I have to take the buses - I'm jealous. Have a great run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's my first year doing Boston. I'm being dropped off. Any need to go to athletes village or should I just take HSP shuttle close to start. I'm in first wave. What time should I plan on being at HSP.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if I get your question but I got dropped off at the exit of 495 and Main St. when I did the race in 2011. You can then walk to the start area. It seemed to be a pretty easy way to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Boston Marathon Locals [dave_voyageur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_voyageur wrote:
I'm not sure if I get your question but I got dropped off at the exit of 495 and Main St. when I did the race in 2011. You can then walk to the start area. It seemed to be a pretty easy way to do it.

That is the normal thing to do, but there is a second drop off point at Hopkinton State Park. It is primarily intended for spectators, it drops off near the start line. If you wanted to go to the athletes village then you would have to walk ~1mi there (and back). Without the baggage drop there doesn't seem to be a reason to go to the athlete village though, so I'm going to get dropped off at the park so that the shuttle drops me near the start line and I can avoid the walk from the athletes village.

To the other poster . . . I intend to leave my house around 7:30, which will probably get me to the park between 8:00-8:15, and the start line between 8:30-8:45.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Boston Marathon Locals [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
It's my first year doing Boston. I'm being dropped off. Any need to go to athletes village or should I just take HSP shuttle close to start. I'm in first wave. What time should I plan on being at HSP.

I think last year we left Back Bay around 7:15 /7:30 and got to HSP before 8. We hung out in our car for a while, took the bus over and had plenty of time to go to AV and walk back to the start. I think getting to the park b/t 8 and 8:30 is fine. It's about 10-15 from the park to the start.

Any chance you have room for two other Slowtwichers :-) ?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Boston Marathon Locals [Ubear97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric,

From what I've read, the buses from HSP are not supposed to be carrying runners. However, they probably won't turn anyone away. When I ran two years ago my wife dropped me off at one of the EMC parking lots off of 495, which is what it looks like you did in the past. I'm running this year (well, will try to, as I've been battling an injury), and am planning on being dropped off at the same spot as before.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, I think I see your point. However, it's still a relatively short walk to the start line from the 495 exit drop off, no? When I was dropped off at the ext, I found it a little annoying to walk basically past the start area to the high school to drop our stuff at the buses and then walk back to the start. But the walk to the start line alone would've been easy and there were plenty of port-a-potties nearby.

Personally, I'd take the short walk over leaving something to chance with buses.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Boston Marathon Locals [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HSP buses will carry runners, just won't drop at AV. They drop closer to start for spectating.

Quote Reply
Re: Question for Boston Marathon Locals [Ubear97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry ubear97 no room :(

Quote Reply
Re: Question for Boston Marathon Locals [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the EMC lot is the South St lot, that's what I do every year. My wife drops me off there, short bus ride to the village to hang out a bit and an easy walk to the start line.

I will miss the bag drop, not having a change of clothes and a phone to contact family, but even without that I still enjoy that walk to the start. It feels like part of the experience as much as anything, and there is a huge bank of porta potties on the walk.

Good luck to everyone, weather looks good.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply