Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No Pros at IM Maryland? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part of that can be attributed to the fact that ITU is attempting to grow the sport globally. Their focus is on advancement of the sport. WTC is focused on the advancement of the bottom line and the $$$ that can be made off of it. Dan opined on this a good number of years ago by asking "are you a steward of the sport, leaving it better when you exit, or are you here to simply take advantage of it".

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: No Pros at IM Maryland? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as is advertising on a corporation's

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: No Pros at IM Maryland? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
Part of that can be attributed to the fact that ITU is attempting to grow the sport globally. Their focus is on advancement of the sport. WTC is focused on the advancement of the bottom line and the $$$ that can be made off of it. Dan opined on this a good number of years ago by asking "are you a steward of the sport, leaving it better when you exit, or are you here to simply take advantage of it".

The strange thing is that triathlon is not a new sport anymore. Most endurance sports started a World Cup series in the beginning of the 80s and than have made changes to keep interest from media, sponsors and spectators.
BUT a big difference is that all other sports (outside of US) are organized under one sanctioning umbrella.

A good example is Swix Ski Classic that started some years ago. Cross country skiing has its regular world cup series with races up to 50k (the one you see in the Olympics). But in Europe you have some iconic long distance races that are really popular. So now you have a long distance series called Swix Ski Classic using the already existing iconic races (Marcialonga, Vasaloppet, Birkerbeinerrennet). All races are live on TV and they are also streaming live.

Now the sport of cross country skiing has more media and more good races for the elite. I call that a win.

Triathlon as a sport can do the same. But it looks like turf war is keeping the sport stuck in the 80s. Every time you see triathlon on tv in the US it is all about feelings, never about elite sport. That is sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When was the first Olympics held with skiing or cycling events? What are the dominant sports in Europe? You always try to transfer what works in Europe with the traditional sports, to what you think will work in other countries with different sports. It isn't that simple.

You need an audience before you can broadcast a 5 or 10hr race. They already live stream numerous ironman events, how many people tune in? If NBC covered a 70.3 event live and simply broadcast the race with commentary, would enough people care about that to bring in enough sponsors to pay for the time slot and broadcast fees?

Boston got a lot of media attention because they had a bombing last year. Otherwise, it would've been a footnote in the sports update on the news.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I need some background from you. What sports are broadcast live on TV there in Norway (I'm assuming Norway). Here in the US, we have NFL, NBA and MLB getting the most play on TV. There is hockey that's gotten a semi regular channel (it's not on the basic cable packages I don't think, atleast not in my area). Either way, your looking at 4 main sports that drive the bus in the sports broadcasting business.

Oh and then throw in golf that is broadcast 6-7 hours every weekend for like 35 weekends a year. So that's the difficulty in anything.

What I would love to see happen is an ITU setup that is similar to the NBC coverage of this skateboard competition. It's like 4 cities throughout the summer, I think broadcast last 2 hours, and about every 3rd weekend over the summer. That I think would be how you market it, atleast here in the US.

And let's not even think about getting IM on tv here in the US. That's just not going to happen, the best bet would be the ITU setup, and *if* the ncaa every gains traction, we could maybe get more ITU exposure. I'm sorta afraid on that front though, so it'll be an interesting next 10 years or see to really see how ITU develops here in the US.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: No Pros at IM Maryland? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
So I need some background from you. What sports are broadcast live on TV there in Norway (I'm assuming Norway). Here in the US, we have NFL, NBA and MLB getting the most play on TV. There is hockey that's gotten a semi regular channel (it's not on the basic cable packages I don't think, atleast not in my area). Either way, your looking at 4 main sports that drive the bus in the sports broadcasting business.

Oh and then throw in golf that is broadcast 6-7 hours every weekend for like 35 weekends a year. So that's the difficulty in anything.

What I would love to see happen is an ITU setup that is similar to the NBC coverage of this skateboard competition. It's like 4 cities throughout the summer, I think broadcast last 2 hours, and about every 3rd weekend over the summer. That I think would be how you market it, atleast here in the US.

And let's not even think about getting IM on tv here in the US. That's just not going to happen, the best bet would be the ITU setup, and *if* the ncaa every gains traction, we could maybe get more ITU exposure. I'm sorta afraid on that front though, so it'll be an interesting next 10 years or see to really see how ITU develops here in the US.

This answer will not just be for Norway since a lot of the sports are also live on one of the Eurosport channels or on national channels in most of Northern Europe.
ITU triathlon
Cycling
Cross Country skiing
Alpine skiing
Biathlon
Ski jumping
Nordic combine
Speed skating long course
Marathons
Track
MT biking

The biggest sport in Europe is football/soccer with national leagues and the different European cups (Champion league is most famous). You will also find basket ball, team handball, volleyball, swimming, motorsports, etc, etc.

What I suggest is a world cup like ITU and all the winter endurance sports. Fans and media want to see the best compete against each other more than once a year.
Since triathlon has strong roots in Australia and the US, those countries have to be part of the series.

Do I think this will happen in long distance triathlon. No. Long distance triathlon is to busy with turf war and as a result we the fan and the elite athletes miss out on a better product.

This is from Vasaloppet, one of the races in the long distance cross country series Swix Ski Classic. Talking about great pictures
http://vimeo.com/20789552

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the ITU feed the same one that's online with Barrie Shepley as commentator?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: No Pros at IM Maryland? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
Is the ITU feed the same one that's online with Barrie Shepley as commentator?

I do not know since I am living just outside of Seattle now. Hopefully ITU is on when I am on vacation to Norway so I can find out :-)
Usually Eurosport has local commentators
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the top juniors in the US as they take on the USAT Junior Elite Cup in Monroe, Washington, it's in the surrounding Seattle area (not sure what direction).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: No Pros at IM Maryland? [dzxc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my solution for you. Get rid of pro and age categories but keep the purses and Kona slots. If there are 50 kona slots at a race and a 75,000 purse, the top 10 in each gender split the purse and top 25 in each split the slots. Done. Would you like that? Kona will be a deep and fast field. And Ironman would disappear soon thereafter.

Swimmer
http://www.usprotri.com/LAMASTRA.html
http://www.bodyphyxinternational.com
Quote Reply
Re: No Pros at IM Maryland? [helle_f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
helle_f wrote:
I swayed in and out of actually taking the time to write a detailed response. I was saddened by the extremely narrow minded perspective and opinion, by some, of professional triathletes carrying no value. The view makes for very sad reading but thankfully I, along with others, working so hard to earn our way in this sport, can look beyond this.

GMAN19030 "Your garbageman, grocery store manager, and auto mechanic actually provide a service. You (the professional triathlete) do not."

I wanted to just speak openly and present known instances where a professional triathlete, or any sporting person can/is providing service and bringing value to triathlon/sport. The following services reflect many, not all, but a number of professional athletes.

1. Education - A large part of corporate sponsorship involves education. To some professional athletes growth, development and promotion of health is important. There is a reason why corporate companies worldwide invest in a professional sportsperson as a representative for their company. Again not something immediately obvious, and on the surface it may seem as though it is a case of they swim, bike and run fast, look pretty, so lets have them wearing our logo. In actual fact there are cases that contradict the very quote above that "The professional triathlete do not provide a service." What about those 100 employees of company x, whom as a company are putting x amount of dollars towards race x, to encourage health lifestyle and encouragement into new sports? Is the professional athlete that is providing training education, nutritional services, sharing of knowledge, motivation, seminars etc. not providing a service?

2. Product Development - Hours upon hours are spent in communication and dialogue with equipment manufacturers. The majority of which acting as sponsors to an athlete for the very reason the company feel they can help them develop and become better. Product development personnel thrive on real-time feedback on wheels, shoes, apparel, nutrition, the list goes on and on. A professional triathlete, I admit not all, but many, provide service, unseen by the consumer, yet more than likely felt by the consumer.

3. Sport Development - We all aspire to be somewhere. We all look up to someone and turn to someone for advice. The youth of today need inspiration, need role models and people to look up to. Just as much as the person that has never trained before. Professional athletes provide, or at least should and can provide, input services to clubs, federations, youth organisations when/if requested etc.

These points reflect my opinion, from my own experience and the experience of others, professional triathletes DO and ARE providing a service. Not all but some. I do on times wish there were more opportunities where professional athletes could provide further service. A view that professional triathletes hold no value is a very sad outlook on this sport. I'm very thankful that the view of the ST forum is not often the view of the majority or the sense felt when in a training/racing environment with amateurs present.

In terms of reducing the number of professional Ironman events globally. I support this model 100%. I believe depth of competition only increases the standard and appeal of the sport.

Helle - I'm way late in reading your response but I think you have made some great points. Thks for taking the time to respond on ST as I know you have a full schedule with your many hrs of training, sponsor commitments, etc, plus getting the large amounts of sleep needed for recovery:)

Cheers,

Eric

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next