Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2015 70.3 WC Qualifying Race List - Calgary?
Quote | Reply
So, this list came out on April 11 and I didn't see another post about it anywhere else. Obviously for personal reasons I noted the exclusion of Calgary right away. So, basically if you live in Western Canada there are 60 slots anywhere moderately close. And by close we're talking 12+ hour drives away from Calgary in Lake Stevens and Boise. I may not ever qualify for a WC, but there are lots of folks around here who could. I guess WTC did their market research and just decided there wouldn't be that many who would bother with the WC in Austria.

Anyone else with thoughts on why Calgary would get excluded from qualifying slots?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 70.3 WC Qualifying Race List - Calgary? [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2014 Calgary has 100 qualifying slots for 2014 World's in Mont Tremblant. Edit: race filled up quick. Probably why it isn't listed.

Anything on the calendar as of August and on is a qualifier for 2015 World's in Austria. Why 2015 Calgary is missing from that list I don't know. Probably either a mistake, or 2015 race isn't yet final.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Apr 18, 14 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 70.3 WC Qualifying Race List - Calgary? [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OkotoksLawyer wrote:
So, this list came out on April 11 and I didn't see another post about it anywhere else. Obviously for personal reasons I noted the exclusion of Calgary right away. So, basically if you live in Western Canada there are 60 slots anywhere moderately close. And by close we're talking 12+ hour drives away from Calgary in Lake Stevens and Boise. I may not ever qualify for a WC, but there are lots of folks around here who could. I guess WTC did their market research and just decided there wouldn't be that many who would bother with the WC in Austria.

Anyone else with thoughts on why Calgary would get excluded from qualifying slots?

You also have to assume that any races will have a much larger roll down then normal due to the much longer travel distance then years past in LV or even MT.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 70.3 WC Qualifying Race List - Calgary? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's just a slip, but I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary was told they weren't getting any slots for 2015 because they got 100 for 2014. I went back and double checked the list and I didn't see Panama, Putrajaya, Calella or Berlin on the list either. Curious.

I snagged my entry for Calgary 70.3 2014 already, but yeah it sold out very fast. They opened up extra slots even, and those barely made it 48 hours I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See below interview with Andrew Messick (regarding the 2015 70.3 WC in Austria) from Triathlon.com (posted on XTri.com). I corrected the 2015 qualifying start from Apr to Aug (Bold). This isn't really any different than the 2014 70.3 WC where all three Canadian qualifiers received 100 slots.

AM: We’re going to rebalance all the slots—that’s the first thing. Starting with the 2015 qualifying cycle, which starts in AUG 2014, virtually all North American races will have fewer slots and all European races will have more slots. We’re very much anticipating—and engineering in the process—that there will be more qualifying opportunities in Europe for the 2015 world championships than there were in 2014. I would expect—and this is broadly speaking—if it’s going to be a 2,500-athlete race, we’ll have 1,000 North Americans, 1,000 Europeans, and 500 from Latin America, Australia, New Zealand and Asia-Pacific. Roughly speaking. We want there to be more local opportunities for Europeans to race a world championship. What we don’t know, of course, is the extent to which Europeans are going to go elsewhere to get their slots. What we do see is, for example, a lot of Canadians are pushing to find slots for Tremblant because they want to be able to race a world championship in Canada. I think we’re going to see that a lot of Europeans are going to start searching for opportunities to qualify because if you’re a European age-group triathlete, being able to compete in a world championship is something that’s going to resonate.

-------------------------------
Edited to add this observation: The 2015 WC is moving from Sep to an Aug 30 date. The reason Calgary probably was dropped is that it would put them inside the 6 week window when qualifying for one WC stops and the next one starts. E.g., Calary 2015 will probably end up being a qualifier for the 2016 WC yet to be announced, and hence not on the list.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Apr 18, 14 14:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OkotoksLawyer wrote:
Maybe it's just a slip, but I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary was told they weren't getting any slots for 2015 because they got 100 for 2014. I went back and double checked the list and I didn't see Panama, Putrajaya, Calella or Berlin on the list either. Curious.

I snagged my entry for Calgary 70.3 2014 already, but yeah it sold out very fast. They opened up extra slots even, and those barely made it 48 hours I think.
I did Calgary and had a blast. Meant to come back last year but it was only a week off Lake Stevens. Bummer. That made Calgary drop off the radar for me. This year the two races are I think 3 weeks apart. By the time I thought about racing Calgary it had already sold out. I will be kicking myself for that one all year. Especially with 100 slots. My lady wants a vacation in Quebec.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 70.3 WC Qualifying Race List - Calgary? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2015 edition of IMYYC will not have qualiying slots for the 70.3 WC in 2015 because our race is in late July and is too close to the late August race date for Zell am See. Our 2015 edition will have qualifying spots for the 2016 70.3 World Championships.

If any one is still hoping to get into Ironman 70.3 Calgary for 2014, I have opened up a few more spots. And will be closing registration in the next day or so. We have removed the registration link from the website, but you can still get into the Active.com registration site at: http://www.active.com/...an-70-3-calgary-2014
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 70.3 WC Qualifying Race List - Calgary? [IMCalgary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just sent you a pm regarding your race.
I would definitely like to have some information.

Thanks!
David

-D
Quote Reply