Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training and Tibia Stress Fracture Questions
Quote | Reply
Hello, everyone I hope someone can provide insight to my problem. Back in the fall of 2011 I ran on my high school cross country team, my senior year. I ran on occasion before joining the team, but on the team I did more mileage at a much higher intensity. A month into the season, I started to get what I thought were shin splints. I ran through the pain and eventually on one run the pain got so sever that I had to walk. Then, while walking the pain got to the point where I had to sit down. I had gotten a stress fracture around the middle of my tibia. I was on crutches for over three months. After I recovered I went back to less mileage.

This past November I decided I wanted to run a half iron man. I started following a training plan. I ran two weeks of 8 miles. Then, the running club that I go to at my University started to do a running streak and I got a little competitive and ran 19.6 miles, then 22.4 miles. I was getting some hip pain that would get better. Then I ran a 5k and got what I thought was a stress fracture. I caught the pain much earlier than before, so I could still walk. I went to the doctor, and they did not see anything on the MRI or x-ray so after 5 weeks I started to run again. I did the following mileage per week, 3, 7, 9, 7, 9, 7.5(sick), 14, 10.5(went ice climbing), 14.5, 16, 14(sick), 18, 7. The first couple weeks I had some feelings in my tibia, but then they went away. The last week I may have done some high stress activities like jumping around, and running to catch a bus with a heavy suitcase. During the next run I went on I felt some pain while sprinting and I stopped running. Then, I went on vacation and did a lot of walking. I went on one 4 mile run and I was fine. I'm worried that I will get another stress fracture, but don't know if I should rest or just go on shorter easier runs until there are no more feelings in my shin. The pain is occuring around the same number of miles, around 20, even though I increased my mileage much slower. Should I increase my mileage even slower? Should I be thinking about strength training and/or having someone look at my form? If I keep the same amount of training will my bone eventually strengthen and be able to handle the miles.

I am biking around 60 miles a week and swimming around 2.5 miles. Is there any way to spend less time on the bike and in the pool to become a better runner? The running is my biggest concern for the half ironman.
Last edited by: branpera: Apr 18, 14 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Training and Tibia Stress Fracture Questions [branpera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're dealing with much the same issues as I have for the last few years.. I've had about 5 separate stress fractures or reactions in my tibia in the last 3 years. So I feel your pain. I really do find that the best way for me to be able to run any type of distance is to come back from the injuries very very slowly. That means starting with 6 X {1min run, 4min walk) - 4 times a week. Adding a minute to the run and subtracting a minute from the walk each week until I am running for 30min continuously. Then increasing by 10% each week thereafter.. all just easy easy running. At the point that I get to about 45minutes of continuous running I'll start adding in some light builds to those runs to get a bit of intensity in. Intensity needs to be added in very gradually as well.

Other things that seem to help for me... make sure you have new shoes. Run on soft surfaces only (trails, treadmill etc..). Make sure your calves are loose and do some lower leg strengthening stuff (there is a thread on here somewhere that has a lot of good exercises for that). As far as training for your race right now.. you will maintain fitness from cycling and swimming. I would change some of your runs right now to water running. Perhaps doing half outside, half water running. Just to reduce the load a bit. Make sure as well that you are icing your tibia. One good trick is to freeze some water in a dixie cup and rub it right along the bone a few times a day. I find that when I'm returning from a fracture I get some type of 'phantom' pain in there. I can hop on the leg no problem and don't feel any pain when running, but afterward I'll feel a tingling sensation in there. I believe that is normal.

When is your race?

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Training and Tibia Stress Fracture Questions [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was planning on running the timberman half ironman August 17th. I was also planning on racing a sprint triathlon May 10th. Do you find that your tibia is getting stronger? Are the injuries decreasing in frequency? Do you think that this is a permanent issue caused by a weak bone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I don't find that it is getting stronger unfortunately.
To be honest, I don't really know what causes it for me. Nobody has been able to give me a definitive answer (I've looked!). I believe it's most likely a combination of things. For me, I find I have to really baby it and make sure I'm really paying attention to my body.. doing my exercises, increasing mileage slowly, making sure my shoes aren't old etc... Currently I'm trying to increase my cadence and shorten my stride. This could be different for you however.. if you haven't already done so, I would go see a physio or sports doc about it.
You still have plenty of time to get ready for that half ironman if you play it smart

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With next to no running background (especially of decent volume) perhaps you shouldn't concern yourself with these longer runs. If you can't run 40-50 miles per week (and even this is low) over a prolonged period of time there really is no reason to try to run 18-22 mile long runs. Your body structure simply is not conditioned for this. You can race a half-distance quite well with long runs of significantly less volume than this anyways.

Edit: it is hard to make out your actual training from your post, but it looks like your 7th run back after what you thought was a stress fracture was 14 miles… if this does not make you question your training perhaps find someone to help you out a bit with it.
Last edited by: Josh Seifarth: Apr 18, 14 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Training and Tibia Stress Fracture Questions [Josh Seifarth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I should have mentioned that that that mileage was weekly mileage. After my stress fracture I was running .5 miles for a week, then a 1 miles for a week then 1.5, 2, 3. My original post has the past 13 weeks of training. The mileage per day looks like this .5, .5, 1, 1, 1.5, 1.5, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 4.5, 5, 4.5, 4.5, 1, 4.5, 4.5, 5.5, 5, 5, 6, 5, 2, 7, 5, 5, 8, 5, 2, 4.
Quote Reply
Re: Training and Tibia Stress Fracture Questions [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice rj. Good luck avoiding injury in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a tib sfx. Was running 80 miles a week at the time. Few things might help.

If its a bone issue, its there from the start of the work out. It does not warm up, and its a deep pain.

If it is developing throughout the run it is normally not a bone thing. but you still think its bone related, it would probably be something tight pulling on the attachment to the bone. These types of things can normally be fixed by getting some rub downs, some stretching and maybe some strength work.

just one bit of science for people who have sfx issues. Remember that it takes 24 hours for the body to lay new bone. When you run you damage the bone, so the body has to fix it. You get a sfx when you exceed the ability to fix. This is why kenyan with low BMI can run 2-3 times a day, but some people can't run many times a week. You also put more load into your bones when tired and less into the muscles. So really what i am saying. Is that when you are coming back from a sfx, its good to run every second day. The doc probably told you that but didnt tell you why.

Side note, my sfx was on the site of the post tib attachment, and i built scar tissues that gave me problems for about 12 months after the bone was better.
Quote Reply